Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Working with Paradise consistency

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Working with Paradise consistency

Post by pixieface on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi all!

Any tips to share for working with Paradise consistency? I have tried both spritzing and wetting the brush to work with the paints. I seem to be running into issues where it's not wet enough and I'm constantly reloading, or it's too wet, runny and thin. I really struggle with the split cakes - either the brush is heavy and dry - or I add too much water and now I have the colors all bleeding together.

Another example - I have the middle well for my Paradise black but find it is too thin. I use it to pick up water but then end up working it over the drier paint to get a good solid color (my other paints are too new to really have that well yet - LOL).

I had the same issues with DFX so I highly suspect it is my technique or not understanding what consistency I am looking for.

Also - when using any fine rounds (say number 2s) my brushes are just getting gunky and blobby. I'm not good enough to use the tips of the larger rounds for outlines yet and so need to use the smaller ones but now I'm getting ugly splotchy lines -or if I get it even on the brush with more time trying to get the glops off, then it is too thin.
pixieface

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Working with Paradise consistency

Post by fluttersby on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 pm

I tried for the first time last weekend to use Paradise black for my linework and I did not like it at all...but...I added water to the paint the way I did my DFX black and I got the globs. I've kind of figured out that for me, if I only wet my brush and use that to get the Paradise black wet and only what I need (if that makes any sense) then I don't get the globs. It is going to take some getting used to. I was glad that I brought my DFX with me because my Paradise was all goopy. I don't pre wet any of my other Paradise colors either the way you can with the DFX. I haven't decided yet if I will get some more DFX or TAG or try to get better with the Paradise black for linework but I do really like it for bases. I painted my son as Batman on the same day and he had no trouble at all getting it all the way off with just baby wipes.
fluttersby

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracalla on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:44 pm

I use Paradise for my line work and had problems in the beginning. I've stuck with it and now it's good. There is definitely a certain amount of water to use, just like with DFX or Wolfe. Each product works differently. I find that Paradise does take more water than DFX or Wolfe, but less water than Snazaroo.
Tracalla

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-06-25

http://drdrumtastickentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:50 pm

I am going to try that more (using the brush to bring the water to the paint) with the smaller brushes. Hadn't thought out that. I think if I try softer (sable) brushes too for the smaller sizes? I only have stiffer bristles for the small sizes and they literally cut through the paint like a little knife.

You know what I was surprised about the Paradise - good sticking power! I got to see the girl I painted in the morning all day long - about 7 hours and her paint still looked good. I also did a snowman on my inner arm and even though I had sleeves on that I pushed and pulled up quite a bit it was still looking un-smudged about 4 hours later. And then when I washed it off no repeat washing. I like knowing that the parents won't have any issues with that. I felt like it was a good compromise (I had more trouble getting the DFX off - but oh man - I must say I LOVE how vivid the DFX is! I think I would get that for adults).

It's good to know that you like it Tracalla after sticking with it. That's what I want to do - I really am happy with the product overall. And you're right Snaz does take more water doesn't it? I am keeping some snaz in my kit though. The sparkle colors can be really nice.
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I was just practicing too, trying the Paradise more for linework. I really don't like having to wet the brush and use that for water on the paint, but that is just how I find it easier. Tracalla, if you could explain more about how you think paradise requires more water, I'd appreciate it. To me, more water = more goop on my brush. I again ended up using the DFX for linework but I am not going to give up practicing with the Paradise.
fluttersby

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:46 pm

I mainly use my paradise with a sponge. I spritz the sponge, not the paints. This gives me just the right amount of water.
If I use a flat brush(I have a few splits I use for flowers, leaves & such). I usually wet the brush & then pat it dry on a towel. I'll then dip just the tip in my water & swipe the split cake back & forth with the brush. You're looking for the brush to have a good consistency of the colors striped on it. If the paint isn't going on evenly or is too thin, just go over the design a second time.
I'll also use a large filbert bodybrush to lay down a base when I'm looking for a certain look. Then I really like to work the paint into a thick creamy consistency.
I use dfx for linework, so I'm not sure how to help you there.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:00 pm

ok - I spritz my paint with a small water spray.. only one squirt per face.... but here's the thing - I let my paints dry out a bit... when I leave the tops off to air them out they dry out a bit and are much easier to use, I recently bought a new black and white, it was a hot festival day and I was tired from working the night before and no matter what I did they were gloopy and I was beyond frustrated - i asked my man to get out my old dregs of white and black and I used them. Since then they have settled down.
It is too much water that is doing that.... the problem being if it's already gloopy there's not much you can do but let it dry out.
Paradise is much more creamy then any other paint... it's makeup so it bahaves as makeup.... you need to treat it like you would say foundation.... albeit in rainbow colours...lol
I like to have a section in my cake with no paint in it - then when I spray some water is in the bottom and I can mix water and paint to my chosen consistancy... this sounds tricky but actually stops you going back to pick up just that little bit more water..... but because I do this is probably the reason when I get a new cake it misbehaves for me.
If it really gloopy and you need to use it right then... wipe the top with a sponge.... slight waste of paint but sorts the problem out instantly.
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:02 pm

I really don't think I am going to stick with Paradise for linework either. I do the same with a sponge for bases. I bought some TAG and it seems to be about the same as the DFX and a little less expensive. I got the paradise black because I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, it was a little less expensive I think and I think even a little more paint than the 32 gram DFX. I was hoping I could use it for both bases and linework. I guess I can in a pinch but I really like the DFX better.
fluttersby

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks, Tash. I will try your way and see if I can work with it. I know it will take some practice. For the most part, I love the creaminess of the Paradise, but not the black. I always let them dry out. I knew the first time I tried for linework with the black and I put a drop or two of water on the cake like I do with the DFX and it just got gloppy that it was too much water so that is why I just started dipping my brush and getting enough that way. It works OK for awhile but I just get so frustrated with it.
fluttersby

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracalla on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:00 pm

fluttersby wrote:I was just practicing too, trying the Paradise more for linework. I really don't like having to wet the brush and use that for water on the paint, but that is just how I find it easier. Tracalla, if you could explain more about how you think paradise requires more water, I'd appreciate it. To me, more water = more goop on my brush. I again ended up using the DFX for linework but I am not going to give up practicing with the Paradise.

What I meant was that compared to DFX or Wolfe for Paradise you have to use more water vs Snazaroo then for Paradise you would use less water. I also found that using bigger brushes (once you get used to it) is a lot easier. The smaller brushes for me had too much paint build up and did get goopy. I also use 3 cups of water. Dirty, less Dirty and clean so I clean my paint off after each color going from the dirty cup to the clean cup. Yes I realize it's probably wasting some paint but I found this has worked for me. I think it was Psalmbook that reccommended it to me. I have also done this technique with DFX and Wolfe and am very satisfied how all of them perform. I do find that the only color that stains with Paradise is the Green.
Tracalla

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-06-25

http://drdrumtastickentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 am

I'm trying the dirty to clean cup trick as well (when I remember to do it right). I had holly on all day (light and dark green) with no stain. Black does stain my Wimex head and nothing appears to get it off (sad face).
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:42 am

hmmm...any green stains me, but the black comes off pretty easily. Amazing how different everyone is. The green stain doesn't last long. I think if I wash it twice it goes away.
fluttersby

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 am

Actually black comes off me with no problem - just not "Esmerelda"!
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Have you tried the 'Mr. Clean magic eraser'? It works great on the mannequin heads.
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Now that I haven't...I forgot about that idea. Thanks...I'll let you know how it works....
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Different heads need different things to clean them, also try 99% alcohol (you may have to order it at your pharmacy)
andsometimes acetone works good for some color's stains.
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:27 pm

I didn't know there was such a thing as 99%! Whadda ya know...
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top