Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Stealing Pictures ?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Stealing Pictures ?

Post by Tra on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

when i didnt have any pics or anything i went to the craft store got thin craft wood and painted them all white and then painted my designs on that hot glued em to a board for the kids to pick from....lol...if i messed up painting one i just painted it white again and did it over Smile
Tra

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 am

When I started I painted myself AT LEAST 5 times per day and took pics of each design... then put them in a book... as time has progressed I have taken pics of kids wearing the designs so I weed my ugly mug out of the book... It is called work... don't use others pics...
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris10 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:14 am

Love the idea Suzy. It's what I am doing at present too. I found my practice heads just didn't look "right" somehow. So I pinched Ashley Picken's (I think) idea and have word signs (made up on word/publisher). I'm hoping it saves me the "I want one like the picture", progressing too, "But it doesn't look EXACTLY the same as the PICTURE" so it should give me more artistic freedom. (Hopefully! Very Happy )
Kris10

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:04 am

No one has picutes starting out, but you figure out a way. I went to the park and painted faces for free and practice. Now I don't even use any of those photos. I keep switching them out for new ones. If you paint, you can get pictures. Just take your camera, and a list of designs you need picutres of.
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daydreamer on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am

The first thing I was told was NEVER use someone else's pictures. I started with a word list which worked just fine. Then I painted designs on paper and then on practice faces. That worked fine as well. I went to photos but sometimes when the line was 45 min. long and they had all that time to study the picture, I found they were disappointed if it didn't look exactly like the photo. My biggest problem is forgetting to take photos. It is never leisure painting and snapping pics is the last thing on my mind. Now I just ask what they would like and try to lead them to things I am comfortable with.
daydreamer

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 pm

I'll repeat what I was told when I started contemplating doing this professionally: If you're serious about this being a serious business, you will find a way to do it right. There really is no excuse for people to take other artist photos for their boards once they know that it's a frowned upon practice. I know some don't like my straight-forward declarations, but there it is. There are too many painters here who have overcome this exact hurdle for the "I don't have pictures of my own" excuse to be viable anymore.
Alright...flame throwers on...
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:41 pm

I had the same thought when I made my facepainting "menu" and here is what I did. I grabbed my kids and the neighbor kids, and painted the design (well, a similar one, so it was truly "mine") on them, took my own pics, and viola! Legal beagle and it felt awesome too! Besides, any practice is good practice, right? I don't see anything wrong with using photos as INSPIRATION for your own work, but DO your own work and take pics of it. You can make a full menu in one afternoon. If you have kids in your life, use them! Wink If you don't have kids in your life, do it for free in the park for a day and take pics.
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikisteel on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Is it OK to paint a design of someone else's work if you like how it looks or is that also stealing? I figured you can copy the work if you learn it from a tutorial.
This is great info for us newbies. I have been painting my grandkids so I do have pictures but they look very amateur. I figure I will replace them when I get better. Actually I only paint for free right now but it is nice to show the kids something at least.
nikisteel

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris10 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:17 pm

nikisteel wrote:Is it OK to paint a design of someone else's work if you like how it looks or is that also stealing? I figured you can copy the work if you learn it from a tutorial.
This is great info for us newbies. I have been painting my grandkids so I do have pictures but they look very amateur. I figure I will replace them when I get better. Actually I only paint for free right now but it is nice to show the kids something at least.

Using someone else's work as inspiration is fine, as long as it is your work that is on display. I'm sure all of us have inspiration files stashed away (mine is full of work/pictures I have seen in here and other places on the net) you pull out a piccy have a look and then re-create in your hand/style. You DON'T however print out that pic and try and pass of that work as your own. Smile

I like to think that imitation is a form of flattery, who wouldn't be flattered to think someone liked your work so much they wanted to try it out.
Kris10

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 pm

I was just at a festival where I saw a facepainter. She had no line and a stack of laminated cards of pictures. I instantly recognized all the images as those of Mark Reid, Naomi Smith, Snaz images, etc. She did have the names of all artists who's designs were posted, but I still don't think it's particularly ethical. It's NOT an example of her work. I think using "cheat" cards when you're starting out to help figure out where to place lines and colors is just fine, but not to display as examples for clients to choose from.

I carry an "inspiration" book with me that I do not display to clients. I will sneak peeks now and then if I am jonesing to try a new design. My one exception to this is that I have a tattoo illustration book that is clearly not my work, but I will sometimes dig it out if I have the time and a client is looking for something in particular that I don't have an example of.

I have no kids, I live in a building with no kids (1 infant that I know of), most of my friends with kids still have infants or toddlers, and my routine volunteer work is primarily with animal organizations, not kids. I STILL managed to NEVER use another artist's work to promote my painting.

I'm with Lady Jayde on this one.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:43 am

sunflower wrote:I use a manaquin head - found in any beauty supply store that sells heads to hair dressers to practice cutting hair. You can paint on the faces (the heads come with out hair) take a photo, wash the head and paint again and again.

Call around to beauty schools... I got mine for free, and she wasn't even shaved bald! We call them "beauty school drop-outs," not sure who thought of it, but I love the term!
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helena on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:25 am

When I didn't have any photos to display my work I had a photo album in which I put A4 paper with my drawn designs.

It worked okay (even if not as good as photos) - people were able to see what I was offering and choose what they wanted for their face.
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:32 am

I had another idea... it's summertime! Go to the local churches and offer to paint for their Vacation Bible School picnic. It's for a church so offer to do it for free or cost of materials. Take pics there! There is stuff going on everywhere! Check your local calendar and see what's going on for kids in your area.

I already mentioned painting in the park (contact your local Parks and Rec for permission, I am sure they won't say no).

I ran a contest on Facebook offering free face painting to one lucky winner. This is a good way to get some "like"s on your facebook page (if you have one) and get some people interested. Then you can take pics at the winner's party.

Small cheek designs you can paint on your arm and take pics. Or you can paint your own face! If you don't know any kids, ask some friends if you can paint them and take pics (hey, its not just for kids anyway).
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by FUNFACTORY on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:10 pm

when I started I didn't use any board or list- I set up in front of the salon I use to work at in the mall and painted for tips to get practice and pics. I also drew out designs with water color pencils -some pics and some words. It worked fine ,some time no board is nice it get the kids and your imagination going. confused
FUNFACTORY

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://WWW.FUNFACTORYFACEPAINTING.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:24 am

google "face template" and print out some faces, paint the designs on them and you're golden.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Elise on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 am

So two years later and I have come back to the forum. I am not sure what happened, possibly I was too young and not focused enough. But I ended up dedicating all of my time to my art (watercolour paintings, acrylic paintings and illustrations).

But... I was just asked one of my first clients (who is still my hairdresser haha) to help out at her daughters' school fete. I said yes because in the past I always enjoyed it and thought it would be fun. But now it is only a few days away and I am freaking out... I haven't face-painted in so long. Even though I won't be painting/promoting as a business I still feel the pressure. *Sigh* Sometimes being a perfectionist takes way to much stress.

I wanted to say a hugeee thankyou to everyone for all the awesome feedback Smile As I am now a practising artist I fully understand how wrong it is to use other's work. I will be setting up with a written list and a secret-stashed book for my eyes only (incase I get stuck).

Wish me luck! I will be continuing to freak out for the next 4 days until it is all over Razz
Elise

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-06-28

http://www.wix.com/blossomfacepainting/elise

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:19 am

It is normal for me to freak out before a big gig.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

on borrowing pictures

Post by ssshaffstall on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Wondering if you use someone's pictures as a reference and on the picture state the person or company who created the image? Would that be acceptable. My children are not keen on always being my subjects. Most of the time I do events alone with lots of children in line and have no time to take a pictures

thanks

Samantha
ssshaffstall

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:26 pm

ssshaffstall wrote:Wondering if you use someone's pictures as a reference and on the picture state the person or company who created the image?  Would that be acceptable.  My children are not keen on always being my subjects. Most of the time I do events alone with lots of children in line and have no time to take a pictures

thanks

Samantha
no, that wouldn't be appropriate.

In this case, the correct solution would be to paint your designs on a board or foam cut out.

This way, you can get the practice of doing the design yourself-as well as showing people what the design will ACTUALLY look like when painted by you rather than the original artist.

nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ssshaffstall on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Ok thanks for your information.
ssshaffstall

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 pm

^ remember, you don't HAVE to display any pictures at all. A word list of choices is perfectly acceptable. Better that than pictures of work which is not your own.

Many prefer a word list anyway. It allows you to change how you paint designs for variety, or simplify designs to save time if needed. And nobody complains that it's not exactly like the picture, because there was no picture.
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 pm

So true coral! I paint by request but I added a list of my fast faces and I blasted through my lines in record time! Parents will read it to the kids for you.that was originally my fear that kids would have trouble visualizing, but it really makes everything so fun and creative!
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ssshaffstall on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Great advice Coral and Nikki thanks so much I will do that until I can build my portfolio!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
ssshaffstall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3