Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Making my initial investment / questions

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making my initial investment / questions

Post by kat on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Okay....

I have spent endless hours/days reading old posts on the Forum!

All that I can say is.... WOW!
I am so impressed with all the talented artists here, the wealth of information that you freely share, and the kindness that you show one another.

I've filled page after page of information and have finally come down to the basics that I feel that I want/desire/need to start off things.

My list from the forum shop -
DFX 12 Essential Colors Palette
DFX Neon & Metallix Palette
Mini Blend: Jungle
DFX Neon Blending Cake
DFX Essential Black
ES1001 Essential White

I couldn't find translucent (similar) glitter here, so, I will look elsewhere for that.

Question - I've read many posts saying that DFX is great, but for some, they find it somewhat drying. Since my eventual goal is to paint children/etc., should I go with another type of FP for a base and use the above for lines/decorations?

If so, I would like something that will survive our southeast humidity (as well as any FP can) since much of my FP'ing will be done during summer months.
There are SO many recommendations in the posts that I'm sort of at a loss as what to select for a base(s).

I will pick up paint brushes, foam brushes, and sponges locally.

Is there anything else that I may require as a beginner that I've not listed above?
I have to order everything online as there aren't any stores/shops locally that sell FP.

If you've gotten this far, thank you!

kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Making my initial investment / questions

Post by Lauri Strandell on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 pm

This biggest mistake I made with initial purchases, NOT researching brushes. I bought everything available, including a crappy "craft" brushes set from the local discount store and a set of natural bristle brushes. What a waste of money. There is a thread on brushes. I use all Diamond FX and Wolfe White. Also I like to buy in 45gm not 32gms because the 45's have a "compartment" on the bottom to make your own cakes or to stack them. Here is what I take with me to paint. I know a lot of face painters like the fat max, but it is just way too much (for me). I have since gotten a larger caddy, but the concept is the same.

Here is the paint on my counter that shows how the 45gms will stack together and the 32gms don't. I'm pretty sure that pallettes only come with 32gms.

Also here are the colors that I love ( and kids seem) to love teal and fushia and they dont come in the small pallette. Also the Forum Shop doesn't charge a lot for shipping, just buy a couple colors to start!

Everyone has their own way that works best for them. You'll find you way too! Good Luck.

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Ok, I know most of us on here are absolute tackle tarts, but here is something to remember when starting out. It is an investment, but the great thing about face painting is that the initial investment does not have to be a large one. I did my first gig with a six color Mehron palette. No glitter, no sparkle colors, no split cakes. A $24 palette and $3 worth of brushes and sponges from Walmart. I would encourage you not to make large purchases until you find what you like. Even if you buy one refill color from each brand to see which brand is your favorite, that's what I would encourage for you starting out. Shannon Fennel does great line work with Snazaroo and most of us can't even create a semblance of good line work with Snazaroo. Some people hate the way Wolfe and DFX feel as a base and some people don't mind it. No one can tell you which one you will prefer to work with. The major thing is just to not overspend until you know you really want what you are getting. I'm still trying to create ways to use things that I bought when I first started out that I have turned out not to like that much. Hope this helps.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I've never had anyone complain about drying, and I use mainly DFX with a few other brands thrown in here or there. Does not feel drying to me at all. I have used DFX for several years and it works just fine as a base.

It comes down to a matter of personal preference and trial and error.

As far as other items.....do you have people readily availabe to practice on??? Otherwise I might suggest a practice head if you lack willing models or find painting on yourself difficult.

Perhaps go with what you have listed and purchase 1 or 2 full size pots of another brand that you would use as a base. Then compare the 2. This way if you do find you prefer the DFX you will not have invested alot in the other product.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Normaly this is where i would harp on about how I love paradise for bases and lining blah blah blah but if you are working in high humidity then I honestly think you will find DFX your best choice. I do find DFX a LITTLE drying compared to paradise.... this just means that I can feel the DFX on my skin... I can't feel the paradise and always forget it is there.
A kid who has had Palmers or Derivan or the equivalent bad crappy type of craft paint will love the feel of DFX. It's a top quality product - the whole drying issue is only an issue when compared to Paradise as Paradise has aloe, cocoa butter.. blah blah.
I think your list is good.... although I would rethink the getting brushes locally (unless you can find recommended brands for FPing like Royal)as your lines will only ever be as good as the brushes you use.
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Lauri Strandell, thanks!

I agree. I've painted (crafts, murals, etc.) for years, and learned that quality brushes are well worth the value.

Great set up!
I love your rainbow cakes. I think that I would get a lot of use out of them, from having viewed literally hundreds of images that people have posted here, on youtube, and on the net in general.
I thought to start out with the rainbow as it seems most versatile for a beginner, and the green because I can use it for leaves/etc... Later, I can pick other color combinations up.

Again, thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

wmeventservices, thanks for responding!
Me too! (being a tackle tart - heh)
I have an astounding amount of crafts/paints/supplies for various other activities that I enjoy.
much to the dismay of my husband

I agree with the 'refill' idea. My thought was to get the "basics" in colors and go from there. (hence the palette selections). I will review some of the other brands to see what appeals.

It's helped a lot! Thank you for taking the time to respond. Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ChangingFaceDesigns, thanks!

I am going to try the DFX, then, if not pleased with the results, go with what wmeventservices said about buying refills of other brands to see if I can find something that better suits if needed.

I have an abundance of children to practice on. *G*
I substitute teach. Last year, at a couple of schools I helped a lady (she's not a pro... just volunteered to help out the schools) FP during various school activities. I don't remember the paint that she used, it was a face paint.. but, from what I remember, not a good quality paint. The whole time that I was helping her, I kept thinking "if you had some better brushes an paint, this would be SO much easier".. *L*
I have a large family. (lots of little cousins, nieces & nephews). I substitute almost daily at one school, and at least one day a week at the other... so, I've mentioned that I have become interested in FP... and both schools (and the lady that I spoke of) are willing for me to test my skills out on the kids!
Also, we camp from April to September. Camping all summer that school is out... there are tons of kids there to practice on... we are friends with lots of the other campers who are regulars... having an 8 year old m'self, and being the "hangout camp" should make for lots of happy painted faces this summer!
I also helped with a local tournament for kids last summer. My job was to help with face painting. There's a couple of other activities (soccer and scout day camp) that I think that I could use for practice.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tash, thanks for your response!

Thanks for your recommendations. I've also thought of using powders for a "base" since we can reach the mid 90's and above with high humidity from summer to early fall.

I am looking at the Royal line, the ROYAL KOLINSKY's http://www.artistpaintbrush.com/royal-kolinsky-elite-brushes-c-49.html at the moment. We have a couple of art stores here (none that sell FP - other than hobby lobby) that sell very nice brushes. In fact, I am going tomorrow to our Hobby Lobby to see what they have. Their ad is showing 50% off their brushes and they sell Royal & Langnickel and such.

Again, my thanks to everyone for their input. It helps tremendously to hear what people in the trenches (so to speak) have used, and what they like as well as what they don't like.

Kathy
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by risarjm on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 am

When my grandparents approached me about helping them with facepainting two years ago- I had no idea where to start. They had been doing this for almost 8 years at that point and had a TON of stuff!!! My grandma started little by little tellling me what everything cost, and I soon realized that it was going to take me WAY more than one initial purchase to get my hands on everything that I would eventually need.
So I asked her what the bare minimum of supplies I would need. This is bascially what she said.

At least the basic rainbow of colors + black, white, and a brown.
A fan brush
liner/script brush,
petal brush
two sponges for each color
paint towels
baby wipes
spray bottle
water bowl
one poofer glitter in white
one shimmer powder in white or blue
a carrying case
a chair for your kids

Now I went a little beyond and got all kinds of brushes at my local craft store and soon realized that I was only using my nice more costly brushes that I purchased from Sillyfarm! So now I only use a few specialized brushes and just buy multiples of those.

I was going to simply purchase some cosmetic sponges to facepaint, but my grandma explained that the high-density circle sponges would be an investment that I would really appreciate later. I DO!! They are easy to clean and work beautifully at blending.

I also bought a few different glitters and raided my grandparents supplies for ANYTHING they didn't want anymore (I got lucky and was able to dabble in all kinds of products that they didn't like or use!)

Now I know what I use most, and whenever I see sales- whether I need something or not at that time- I will buy it up!! Everyone is different, and will use less or more supply than someone else.

My best advice is to get a basic set up, and as you learn your limits, and grow your skill- you will know exactly what you will use and won't use pretty fast!
Good Luck! I will never see the day that I regret deciding to facepaint!
risarjm

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.possumranchpainting.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:46 pm

I think investing in good brushes is a must...you will not believe the difference that it makes in your art. I ignored this advice and went with the $20 set of cheap brushes at Micheal's. Whatever you decide to do, when you are first starting out don't over complicate it. Take what you can handle with you. All you truly have to have is water brushes and paint. As time goes on you will find a set up that is right for you and you will find the paints that work for you. It sounds like you are getting things in order... Very Happy
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:59 pm

I bought some paint brushes. 50 % off! (I'm going to try to invest in several brushes each time they go on sale)
These are Royal Majestic. They seem to hold paint well, good application, and clean up well.... anyone else use these? wondering about how they hold up long term

I also found a small palette of snazaroo paints!!!

Sooooooooooooooooo..... I painted my arm. Little did I know how difficult it can be to paint oneself!

I'm left handed, but, found that turning my arm so that I could paint it was not as easy as I thought it would be!
It ain't pretty.... but, it's a start.
if you don't mind fronds turned the wrong way... heh

Sorry for the poor quality, I had to use my phone camera....

I hope to order my paints next week... and then I'm off!!! (my poor family *L*)

kat

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 pm

wow, those are big images... sorry!
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm

risarjm, thank you for that great list and wonderful tips!!!

It's going to take time to accumulate all that stuff. *s*
I'm fortunate in that I have lots of festival related items (tent/chairs/etc) if I ever get to that point. I have crafted a variety of things over the years to sell at festivals/etc.

Now, to practice, practice, practice!
Very Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terina, thanks!

Have you used the Royal Majestic brushes? Heard anything about them?
I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up several. They seemed to be the best quality they had.

I'm just a couple of counties over (Morristown), and may need to make a trip to Knox. to find art shops or order on line if these brushes don't end up being what I need.

Thanks so much!
Everyone here has been such a great inspiration!

kat

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:09 pm

gee... I look at my poor arm and just pray I get better.
laughing so much

I've got a sickly butterfly on it at the moment....
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:21 pm

I think it was Gina who confided to us all that she practices on her thigh. I had never thought of doing that, but have pulled on shorts several times already this winter since reading the coment! You should give it a whirl.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 pm

What you actually want for the glitter is the pearl white, not clear. It is translucent and reflects all colors. It looks slightly pink here, but is truley beautiful. Another almost must have in my kit is the Blue Fairy Wing Glitter. It is the most brilliant shine I have found and could almost replace my white. I have been putting free samples in the orders from the past month and will continue to do so for about another so you can try it when you get your first order.

The white is here: http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/servlet/the-218/Iridescent-Pearl-White-cln--1-fdsh-2/Detail

The blue fairy wing is here: http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/servlet/the-405/Iridescent-Blue-Fairy-Wing-cln-/Detail

Perhaps anyone who has received the blue can share their delight!

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Hey another Tennessean!!! Yay! Morristown is just a hop, skip, and jump away. Yes, I have used the Royal Majestic brushes. I like them. The only thing I personally will suggest on them is that I noticed you purchased a large flat brush. I love mine and I have three that size of that same brand. It holds a lot of water, so if you are doing an eye design then you might want to release a little water on a paper towel first before you pick up paint. That way you don't drench someone's eyes. I use the royal majestic and leow cornell for lining, and I like paradise brushes. In fact, I like them as well as some of the really expensive brushes that I have bought. Jerry's Art arama has lots of great brushes.

I have heard people raving about the mark reid brushes and so, I am thinking of adding those. I have about 30 brushes that I use for different things and they are all different brands. It is totally a preference thing but, cheap brushes just produce cheap looking work. The $20 set I was speaking of earlier was really bad. The handle started flaking off in my water once it was wet. Whatever they painted it with didn't stay on. YUCK!!!! I was glad that I tried them out before I was with a client... Embarassed that would have been bad!
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Well I took the plunge and ordered some paints from our lovely lovely Metina! I'm trying to grow my kit slowly and these will go along way to getting me in high gear!!
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Metina, thanks!
I am not familiar with glitters, and thought that it did look a little pink.
(adding it to my list)

Mehndi Masala, best of luck with your kit!
I'm like a magpie when it comes to craft related items.
my eyes glaze over at all the pretty colors and items... *L*

kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Metina thanks for the blue fairy glitter sample, its great!

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Metina wrote:Another almost must have in my kit is the Blue Fairy Wing Glitter. It is the most brilliant shine I have found and could almost replace my white. I have been putting free samples in the orders from the past month and will continue to do so for about another so you can try it when you get your first order.

Perhaps anyone who has received the blue can share their delight!

-Metina

YES, I got a sample in my last order (Thanks Metina!) and it's amazing! Funny... I have every color of iridescent glitter except blue... haven't been able to find blue, so I was so excited about this because I get asked for blue all the time. I'll definitely be buying some with my next purchase. It's just beautiful.
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Geekophile wrote:I think it was Gina who confided to us all that she practices on her thigh. I had never thought of doing that, but have pulled on shorts several times already this winter since reading the coment! You should give it a whirl.
LOL! I do (unless it's really cold in the house), but I got the idea from someone else here on FPF.
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I think everyone paints their arms and thighs... don't they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 am

I never thought to do it on my thigh untill I saw it in a post on here. It seems like such a natural thing now, but it didn't click till then.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:52 am

My thighs are constantly painted. Razz
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:56 pm

When i started out i used snazaroo and which i still use it matter of fact. I like it for base colors they are very easy to blend in. Then after i learned the techniques i moved up and tried wolfe which i also came to love. I mean its all about what you liek really. you learn as you go and test things out which ones you like and dispise. Thats all part of the growing process.
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:06 pm

I have a bit of a skin 'problem'! The back of my left hand is always hennaed so I only get to use the underside!!! And I am now (unfortuanately) kinda 'Goddess' sized and even with my glasses, my thigh seems to be a funny reach. I sit cross legged alot....I wonder if I'm missing the opportunity to paint my calf??? Hmmm....
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top