Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Keeping everyone uncontaminated

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keeping everyone uncontaminated

Post by Meper4m on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello. I'm new to face painting and have the barest of supplies. I've been practicing on just a few kids and I want to know about hygiene with multiple kids at a party. Do you just clean the brushes with water or do you use some kind of alcohol? This is a great website. I'm learning so much about the art of face painting.

Meper4m

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeping everyone uncontaminated

Post by Criss on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Depends on where you are from?
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Yeah... if you are in Alberta, Canada... well, we'll tell you all about it. If you are from most anywhere else... it depends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:08 pm

The face paint companies recommend that you do NOT put anything in your water. Chemicals and soaps may react with the paints in ways that would be bad and/or you could have some of those chemicals end up irritating children's eyes or skin. Plain tap water is recommended. There are preservatives in the face paints that prevent bacteria from growing.

Don't paint anyone with open cuts/wounds or that looks sick, specifically with stuff around their eyes or nose. Many people use qtips when painting anyone's mouth and dispose of them immediately.

I have used baby wipes to clean my brushes occasionally between thorough rinsing, but it's more to get extra paint off the brush than anything else. As far as I know, Alberta is the only place with regulations about them using soap and alcohol and stuff on their brushes between clients... and there is worldwide debate as to whether any of it does any good whatsoever.

In my personal opinion (and I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or anything, it's just my own observations)... if illness and disease were being spread by face painting, with the thousands of people that get painted all over the world all the time, don't you think the media would be jumping all over it? I get repeat customers week after week during the summer at the market where I am a vendor and none of them are showing any signs of a spread of illness, no signs of skin irritation, just regular happy kids coming back for more.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Meper4m on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks so much for your response.

Meper4m

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:47 pm

I think Perry is right.. if we keep clean kits and use a clean sponge on each kid, then we should be good to go...I try to change my water after each kids that I have painted.. i use very little water in my little shot (lol) glasses. they are silver metal glasses.. I have 4.. i clean my kit and brushes very well after each gig..and I to use q tips for the lips..
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Perry is right. I have one cup for water to paint with and one that I put brush bath in. After each child I rinse in the brush bath. When I get home I put all my brushes through pink soap. It is probably a bit over board as that I think I may be OCD Very Happy I boil my sponges once in a while and I also clean them the same way. I empty my water a lot, and I too just use shallow water sine I go through so much of it.
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:24 am

How and why did Alberta become so stringent? And why are other places so unregulated? Usually I don't like that we live in an over regulated society and it seems on here most everyone is into being hygenic anyways without it being law but I was wondering the other day when I was at a multi day festival in another state and watching the volunteer painters paint masses of unshowered camping patrons with the same sponges how come there isn't some law to stop that? And it would surely be good for the rest of us that do follow safe practices as we wouldn't lose out to free painters as much??
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 am

I give every person new sponges and brushes (Yes, I have about 400 brushes) makeup goes in one direction ONLY... from container, to pallet, to face. NEVER from pallet to container.

Brushes, pallets and sponges get washed and dried before they are reused.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 am

[quote="JBM"]How and why did Alberta become so stringent? [/quote]

Most of Canada has alot of laws and big brother is always watching you...but we don't mind much. It rarely interferes with normal life and most laws aren't stupid ones. While these same laws keep us 'safe', often it makes us a bit too trusting that 'if they sell it, it must be fine or the Gov't wouldn't let them'.

I am still VERY new but with peeps like Perry, Tenna and barbb919, I've learned so much!
-I Never use the same sponge on the next person (I have a clean bag with a sun on it and a dirty bag with a little piggy on it)
-Snotty or messy faces do not get painted or must be thoroughly cleaned first (depends on the extent) but if the person looks sick, no go.
-Whole kit and brushes cleaned after every use. Sponges get an anti-bacterial soap cleaning and super rinse.
-I have q-tips that have soft pointed end and other end is fluffy for lips. Paper towels, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, cotton pads are all on hand.
-Bring my own water and bucket for water disposal.

Good to go! AND this list may expand...I learn more all the time!!
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 am

I would imagine that somewhere along the lines there was someone in some important office that was a germophobe and decided that there should be some rules about it. Of course, minor changes are not effective at all, so they had to go to extremes if they wanted to make the case that they were killing anything at all.

Basically, putting any small amount of anything in your water, will not kill anything without risking irritating people's skin and eyes. To my knowledge, it takes soaking brushes in alcohol and peroxide for several minutes and allowing them to dry completely (evaporate all the chemicals) before they can be used again. It just takes that much chemicals to be sure. But, as I mentioned before, it doesn't seem to me like anyone is getting sick from our usual practices so going to those extremes seems unnecessary.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 am

LOL. That is funny! I am a germephobe myself, so I can't say too much there hahahah. I worry so much about being " clean" but, honestly....I do not ever really hear about anyone that is not practicing the same stringency with their products making loads of people ill. I just think that most people use common sense and try to keep their make up clean. Not just for obvious hygienic purposes, but, for protection of your products too. We all know that good quality materials are not cheap.

It is a good protection for you as the face painter too. Then you can tell your clients how well you keep your materials clean. Funny story... I had a $25 liner brush fall out of my dirty brush kit. I found it inside the top part of my fat max. I almost threw it away, but, I instead sanitized the poor thing into oblivion. I don't know if it is really a good idea to boil brushes, but, I did it anyway LOL. I cleaned it in everything I could think of...and then boiled it. I tried it on myself and it was fine.
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top