Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

THIS is why I love facepainting!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THIS is why I love facepainting!!

Post by Mehndi Masala on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:33 am

How can anyone wonder WHY we get addicted???? The shouts of 'Thank you Aunti Kim' as I left make me mushy inside!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS is why I love facepainting!!

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Kim - This whole "new to face painting" thing? Are you trickin' us? Are you foolin' with us? You're messin' with us, right? Very Happy I mean seriously! How long have you been painting?
You're stuff is fantastic. I have to ask, the flame eye design, for example, did you already have an idea for that or did you just do it on the spot?

You are so lucky to have such gorgeous models. I'm grateful if I get 5 minutes with a squirmy, dirty face restaurant customer!

GREAT Job! Lauri

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Great photo Kim! A picture certainly does say a thousand words.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Lauri Strandell wrote:Kim - This whole "new to face painting" thing? Are you trickin' us? Are you foolin' with us? You're messin' with us, right? Very Happy I mean seriously! How long have you been painting?
You're stuff is fantastic. I have to ask, the flame eye design, for example, did you already have an idea for that or did you just do it on the spot?

You are so lucky to have such gorgeous models. I'm grateful if I get 5 minutes with a squirmy, dirty face restaurant customer!

GREAT Job! Lauri

WOW! Thanks for the props! I think I'm getting mushy inside again!! LOL Embarassed
Umm....I don't...DIDN'T paint....never did much. I sculpt, carve and henna. Most of my books are done by doing my on the fly henna and then if I like it, I re-draw it out for sale. Most of my art is pretty unplanned.

4 years ago I was asked to paint for a party by an event planner. I am a bit of a 'do it right' girl and for the one gig I bought the snaz kit that had the 2 glitters, sponges and I think 16 colors in the full cakes after knowing these were the best quality/kid friendly. I learned a couple of tricks from Snazaroo Zoo book that came with or I bought with (can't remember which). Then by the end of the gig, really detested the super simple patterns in the book and put the kit away.

Right about the same time I peeked at FP at a henna conference along with airbrush. Still didn't 'take'. Helped out a fellow artist who needed me to fill in for her at a Sears gig for winter cheek art for a day a year later. Did the one gig - that's it. Then a little over 2 months ago...did the kids party where I was to do henna (which I did, and the FP person backed out. I offered to bring my FP. HOOKED!!!! bounce cheers

Promptly went YouTube video study/research happy! Found this AWESOME place and just bought my Fatmax on saturday!! study

All of these designs are just made up except for the very top one, but it's still a bit 'altered'. I have an 'inspire' file and the rest I just went with. I think the one on the far right was inspired by Daisy Designs as I saw that pattern in the morning so it creeped into my brain and came out on a face! The flames are just.....seemed like a good idea! I had been playing with flaming skulls and footballs, had made a 'flame cake' so I just....tried and it worked!

My 'models' all signed a release form! LOL I'm not really thier aunti! That's just what the kids know me as! Wink Very Happy

In order to build a portfolio and NOT loose much time or money. I have been offering (and making it VERY CLEAR this is a one time only) to bring my FP to my henna gigs. I ask the parents if it is ok that after the kids have the henna, if the kids may like face art. If they sign a release form then it's free! I let them know I normally charge between $75 - $100 per hour for services, but it is to specifically build a portfolio of work and a VERY temporary offer. I've done this 3 times now, and have another party on the 12th for teenagers, so I plan to offer them more like 'tattoo' art!

For the time being, I've only had the one commission piece that paid me specifically for FP, but until the end of February, I have an unofficial 'WILL PAINT FOR PIX' policy! Very Happy I've hooked up with some models, photographers and a poi dancer (male) for body art - he also does 'sexy fireman' singing telegrams (anyone know who will be using her 'flame cake'??? Wink ) and hope to add those within the next several weeks and will (hopefully) be doing a charity gig for the Humane Society at a super ritzy hotel where I will not get paid, but the advertising for a formal 'Mardi-Paws' event like this is HUGE and future payback could be awesome. (Welll....one hopes anyways!!)

Also making a hook up with one of my event planners.....so it looks like the ball is rolling! I'm not sure HOW this happened tho! I had actually not planned on doing anything for about a year so I really had time to practice and learn, but it seems that it's really growing legs and running! All this from just wearing my face a couple of times, word of mouth and facebook!! Shocked Very Happy

Umm...looking up at this...I'm thinking no one really asked for a darn NOVEL! Sorry for the verbal babble. Need more coffee and a censor button! Don't have the heart to delete it all!!! LOL BUT I guess to sum up...Thank you so much Lauri and everyone here. It really is COMPLETELY true that without the support and access to info here, I really would not be as enthusiastic, encouraged, and uplifted by this artform!

Thank you all times infinity!!!!
XXXOOO

Last edited by Mehndi Masala on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Novels are fine, filled with great info. I keep going back to the photo.....I'm drawn in....what a GREAT promotional photo.
I don't have anyone sign a release, when I paint the kids at my restaurant, I just ask the parents if I can post the kids picture on the Steamers Facebook page (don't judge - these are my little practice heads!), everyone's been super chill about it. I'm not using the photos for specific promotional materials, like brochures.

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Lauri Strandell wrote:Novels are fine, filled with great info. I keep going back to the photo.....I'm drawn in....what a GREAT promotional photo.
I don't have anyone sign a release, when I paint the kids at my restaurant, I just ask the parents if I can post the kids picture on the Steamers Facebook page (don't judge - these are my little practice heads!), everyone's been super chill about it. I'm not using the photos for specific promotional materials, like brochures.

I love the photo too! Can't believe I took it! I just took the nearest 4 and ran with a 'patter' to keep 'em laughing...I said "OK group pix! I need you all to smile if you had fun, laugh if the girl next to you stinks! I won't tell! Seriously tho, poke the person next to you if she isn't laughing hard enough! Laugh if you hate boys and laugh harder if you like boys!!" They just all really loved it so much and it was so much fun!! Very Happy

I agree! I also found that all the parents really seem to not care at all, but as I learned (not personally, but from reading here...I believe a thread by Shannon Fennel) that because any photo I take MAY be promo material, and when I take the photo I don't know if it's going to be a winner or not until I get to my computer (can't REALLY tell by the back of the camera..best you can tell is if you chopped off a head or something!) that people are funny!! They don't care today, and won't care tomorrow, but if the kid's face is on a business card or they see thier darling kid's face on the side of my car or the front page of my webpage....who knows? It really *IS* a pain ...but I figure that at least for now, I don't have enough photos to just trash one if a parent comes up silly!!

Maybe I *am* being too parinoid........................

Last edited by Mehndi Masala on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Mehndi Masala wrote:
It really *IS* a pain ...but I figure that at least for now, I don't have enough photos to just trash one if a parent comes up silly!!
hahaha, I don't have enough good face paintings to just trash a photo if a parent comes up silly!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23 am

Wow Kim! Gorgeous picture.
Totally agree with you Lauri, I think she is just messing with us. I bet she is rolling on the floor laughing at us right now lol!
Seriously Kim, you are AMAZING! Every time I see one of your pictures you motivate me.
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:32 am

lol!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Fancy Faces with a Twist on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 am

Your absolutely right! Those faces keep me going Smile
Fancy Faces with a Twist

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2010-09-23

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fancy-Face-Face-Painting/119587161

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 pm

That is a fantastic photo!!! Defo marketing material.

I'll get back to you about FACE in the next day or two!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 am

Do you mind - what is FACE ? I'm not in Canada, does it count if my husband is half Canadian?

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 am

I believe you that you are new to painting but only cause I know how amazing your henna stuff is. I was going through my old henna inspiration file from years ago and found some of your stuff in there and was like wow I internet know her!! That said your beginner efforts are putting the rest of us newbies to shame! I've put more than one of your pix into my inspiration file for FP!
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:22 am

Thank you again guys! I know I sound like I'm repeating myself, but knowing you are doing well and making progress is a HUGE motivator towards improving!

@Shannon -THANK YOU...I will look forward to that and thank you so much for the speedy response!! Smile

@maggie, wmeventservices & FancyFaces - Thanks guys!!!! Very Happy

@Lauri - A group I'm usure I qualify for yet, but I already adhere to the standards and ideals the group is meant to uphold. I just found out my 'area rep' in Canada is Shannon, the area rep for the USA is Gary Cole. FACE has a code of conduct, constitution and a VERY talented roster and is based in the UK, but are international. I aspire to join but am unsure if that is possible due to location. The offical 'AIM' is :
"AIM The aim of FACE is: To promote face painting as a safe and
professional activity, to raise and maintain a standard of face painting
ensuring correct training and use of safe products and techniques by
establishing a body of independent face painters which follows an agreed
code of conduct set down by FACE."

Most of the peeps here already follow most, if not all, of the standards and codes of this group but it is the level of art and skill that makes me so excited to be a member- *IF* I can qualify. Here is the link:
FACE

@JBM - LOL If the henna pix inspired you to continue to try and practice that artform then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! cheers I'm VERY glad if you've enjoyed any of my work at any time! It's one of the reasons I do what I do! To have inspired other artists is the ultimate compliment and I take it seriously!!

Well now we have moved from 'internet know me' ...to 'know me know me'!! Laughing Very Happy
You poor poor girl! Crying or Very sad TOO LATE! You can't take it back! We are internet buddies now! Wink Razz
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 pm

What an awesome photo!!!! And cool designs too!

I love all of them but especially the one with the flower.
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:33 pm

OMG!!!

What a wonderful photo!!!

Thanks for sharing;)

TTFN,
Rebecca
www.artybrushstrokes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:02 pm

[/quote]
@JBM - LOL If the henna pix inspired you to continue to try and practice that artform then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! cheers I'm VERY glad if you've enjoyed any of my work at any time! It's one of the reasons I do what I do! To have inspired other artists is the ultimate compliment and I take it seriously!!

Well now we have moved from 'internet know me' ...to 'know me know me'!! Laughing Very Happy
You poor poor girl! Crying or Very sad TOO LATE! You can't take it back! We are internet buddies now! Wink Razz [/quote]

lol!
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am

Mehndi Masala wrote:

@Lauri - A group I'm usure I qualify for yet, but I already adhere to the standards and ideals the group is meant to uphold. I just found out my 'area rep' in Canada is Shannon, the area rep for the USA is Gary Cole. FACE has a code of conduct, constitution and a VERY talented roster and is based in the UK, but are international. I aspire to join but am unsure if that is possible due to location. The offical 'AIM' is :
"AIM The aim of FACE is: To promote face painting as a safe and
professional activity, to raise and maintain a standard of face painting
ensuring correct training and use of safe products and techniques by
establishing a body of independent face painters which follows an agreed
code of conduct set down by FACE."

Most of the peeps here already follow most, if not all, of the standards and codes of this group but it is the level of art and skill that makes me so excited to be a member- *IF* I can qualify. Here is the link:
FACE

I know exactly what you mean about being unsure about qualifying for FACE membership! I was supposed to apply and test earlier this month, but by the time November rolled around, I talked myself out of it, lol. I think you should totally do it! If Shannon were MY area rep I would... maybe.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Kim I loved your novel. It's a real getting to know you & I feel I do. You have so found your niche`in life, enjoy the ride. Love your happy pic too.
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:22 pm

What a wonderful picture!
smiling
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smoaky on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:58 pm

I absolutely love the picture, the artwork, the grouping, their giggling smiling faces, all or it, awesome!
Smoaky

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top