Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How much paint will I need?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much paint will I need?

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:57 pm

I just ordered more paint for this weekend, I have three days, about 20 hours, of painting during our McCall Winter Carnival, planning to paint about 400 faces. My booth has about 15 half-face or cheekart designs. Any good guess on the quantity of paint I'll need? 80% of my paint has been made into cakes, 80% of my designs are cake-based (so when I run out of dk green/green/yellow for a snake, I can still do white/red/black snake or a "dolphin" snake for that matter). I basically have about 40+ diamond fx colors (2/3 are 32gms and 1/3 are 45gms). I think I have enough paint, but after the last 5 five people have asked me if I have enough, I'm getting worried. Oh and I just ordered about 5 or 6 more colors from Metina that I hopefully will get before the winter carnival.
I know it's a math problem - Run for the hills!!!
Thanks so much for any input, Lauri.
Oh, what about glitter? I have one pot, one sample of Metina's blue fairy wing, and one bag of copper (that doesnt really go with any designs I have).
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: How much paint will I need?

Post by michellesfantasyfaces on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I think you will have enough...just make sure you have enough white and black for lining and detail...paint lasts long!
maybe a irridescent white glitter..that goes well with all colours! or irridescent silver and gold...
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes, I have one pot of the irridescent glitter, I read somewhere NOT to have color choices on glitter cause it takes so much time for the kids to decide. I ordered another black and white from Metina.

Thanks Michelle!!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 pm

It sounds like you have enough paint to last months. It's funny but snazaroo seems to be the only company that has on their packaging and materials how many faces you can paint. The say a 2ml disk(tiny ones from the rainbow packs you can get at michaels) will paint 5 full faces or 100-150 cheek designs. They say that each 18ml will paint 100 full faces and 2500 2"x2" cheek art designs and a 30ml will paint 166 full faces or 4150 cheeks.
I use the snaz (and some paradise) for most of my sponge work and those cakes seem to last forever. I mostly just use dfx for linework and they last ages and ages through many gigs and hundred of faces.
It's good to realize you can sub out colours, you may like a certain colour best for certain things but if you run out something else will also look beautiful.
The only colours I even get close to running out of are black and white but I carry snaz, paradise and dfx in both for different purposes so I'm always fine. It is also surprising how far you can paint when you think you've almost run out.
Have fun at your festival. Your math says you'll average 20 faces per hour that's 3 minutes per face including cleaning, choosing, chit chat, a bathroom break or 2, and the movement of kids in and out of the chair. I've never been able to pass the average of 18 per hour at a busy festival.
Have fun!
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Oh, here are some details about the event. I am paying another face painter for 20 hours, (okay it's my bestie for over 18 years now), I have my 17 year old hostesses who will help paint during peak hours like right after the parade, also we have a cashier that will take the money and give a poker chip according to price of the design the kid wants, there are only 3 prices and all the designs break down into minutes (this is why I started 5 MINUTE TAG!) We are also selling hot clam chowder so the cashier is doing double duty, taking money so the cooks can just dish up soup.

A booth for this event in the Vender Court area is OUTRAGEOUS, $1000 for both weekends for a non-resident. But I own my restaurant downtown and I can set up my booth for soup and face painting for free = well, nothing is free!
$500 to my bestie,
$160 to the 2 hostesses,
$200 to the cashier,
$125 for banners,
$150 in advertising which is combined with my restaurant advertising,
$500 in paint/brushes - most I already had, but at least I already have chairs, tables, tents, etc.

So if the Face Painting Fun Booth paints 400 kids at $5 average that's $2000 in sales, but you've seen the costs! Why would I do it? Cause I get to see my best friend for a working vacation, cause it promotes my restaurant, and it pays for my new banners and paints and I am hoping - eyes closed & fingers crossed - that we can paint way more than 400 kids. On Saturday of the Mardi Gras parade, there is an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 people in our little town of 2,000 people. We'll see..... Also I can face paint the second weekend and my costs are all covered by the first weekend.

Thanks again you guys, I have so much anxiety, I haven't been sleeping, I almost can't wait till it's over.....but on the other hand, I can't wait to start painting!

So Danica, I'm only guessing I can do 10 kids per hour, I think more, and the designs I have are pretty easy,

ooohhh pale , I just got a knot in my stomache....soooooooo nervous.......my hand is already shaking and the event doesn't start till Friday night............light-headed, not...going...to...make...it... affraid

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Holy cow, I hope it goes well. Don't get discouraged if it's slow at first. Linda and I worked a festival where we were really only busy for a couple hours, but both of us walked out with quite a return on our investment. Those couple of hours working non-stop add up. Also, the biggest and best advertisement you can have when face painting at an event is having someone being painted in your booth. Every now and then, snag someone and do a free painting just to get others in your booth.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm so glad to hear you have another painter and people to take care of the cash. I usually only do festivals where I'm paid for by the festival so my lines are ridiculous but I appreciate not having to take the time to do cash. Have fun, quit worrying about paint, etc, Read through the list of what people take with them to events to ease your mind but know you don't need every little thing. For one when I have a big line I don't use glitter and no one cares. Practice a few lines and simple things on your legs and arms as you get ready over the next few days. I've been doing this for years and there are still times when I sit down, reach out for the face and my hand shakes for the first design of the day, at that point I make sure I'm very light with the strokes and it all disappears. Sort of like stage fright(I've been performing for years but always have to go to the bathroom 3 times in the last few minutes before I take the stage, no matter how big or small.)
Ease into it, breathe, don't look down the line if it will cause pressure and if there is no line at first follow Whitney's advice and snag someone. Make sure you are comfortable and have water to sip on.
Just before leaving the house maybe paint a simple, quick and stunning eye design on yourself, you'll probably be creating one of the most popular designs of the day and you'll get over the first strokes of the day.
Enjoy the gift of doing something you love to do and smile, smile, smile.
I hope you can get some sleep, nap if you have to and stay hydrated, have fun, have fun, have fun. Dream of beautiful designs.
Danica
chicneek

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:20 pm

YAAAYYY! Everyone on face paint forum is soooooo supportive and fun and smart and talented!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Moon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Oh I used to love that festival as a little kid.

Are you painting outside?
Amy Moon

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://www.hennaluna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Amy, yes! I wanted everyone to know this is a winter event! This photo is from two years ago (?). We will be painting on faces only because the kids will be covered up. I have made clear vinyl sidewalls for the booth, the snow is being cleared from my booth space tomorrow and the weather says it will be sunny sunny and about 25 to 30 degrees for the high. I guess we will be painting with our fingerless gloves on, (where's my flask? hahaha, just joking for you non-drinkers, don't get too excited now!)

My restaurant is directly to the right of the little pink suit girl and the Face Painting Fun Booth is in the back. Again thanks everyone for your support!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Wow, hope you make $$ at it. You'll have enough paint. I do a whole season on what you have. Just have back-ups of black, white, red and pink... you may run low on white and black due to the fact you pretty much use them on every design.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Moon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Do you find the cold to be an issue with the paints and water? Or do you use a couple heaters in the booth?

The sculptures are always really fantastic. Makes me a little homesick.
Amy Moon

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://www.hennaluna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ablissfulaffair on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:47 pm

AWESOME!!!! Have fun!!! Even if you don't make the money back painting faces you will definitely make your money back with nice hot soup!!!!! Smile YUMMMM!
Also, will your restaurant be open for business during the festival? $$$$$$ can somebody say "Cha-Ching"?
Lauri you definitely are a business woman....and you'll be having fun painting and making people happy all at the same time!!!! YOU ROCK!!!
Wish I could be there!!! Post pics! Smile
ablissfulaffair

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2010-10-15

http://www.ablissfulaffair.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:17 pm

extra black and white - check
hydration - check
warmth - check
restaurant open - check Gloria, the first weekend of winter carnival is one of our top 10 busiest weekends of the year! I get to face paint all day on saturday then hop on over to Steamers and hostess, service bar, food runner, boss, dishwasher (okay, i really hope not!) and then finally, a glass of wine with employee meal around 10:30pm, wake up on Sunday and start over! hahahaha

What you said about being a business woman is exactly true. I've had many businesses that I've started and sold like a doggie daycare/kennel-free boarding (Strandell Farm Bed & Biscuit) and a web based business. I can't even take something that I love and that is creative without turning it into a business! I love to design, sew and SELL purses, Laughing But my purses have paid for my whole sewing room including both sewing machines, my serger, and embroidery machine, dress forms, etc. I have WAY too much material (less than 1/10 showing Embarassed and the rest has taken over every corner of my house! MY photography is tailored (pun!) to unique portraiture, but I still make and SELL photo notecards, but photography has paid for my studio, lighting, etc.

So I wonder if my real creative talent is actually starting new businesses! It's what I actually do well cheers

If I get too boring, logical, technical, and practical and I forget my creative side here on Face Paint Forum -
Give me BIP on the head lol!

Wow, what mess, oh well, it can wait!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:13 pm

Well, Did you make it through the weekend? 'Hope you had a blast!
chicneek

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:01 am

Danica and all friends, I rolled my snowmoile on My Ankle!!!!!
But the good news...I didn't crush my ankle.

EDITED I had to remove that photo, so gross!

Still face painted - I dont have to stand! I will have another post on this thread that details.................the good, the bAd, the uglies foot I ever saw!

Thank you FRIENDS!

EDITED - Wow, my typing and proof-reading skills are atrocious when I'm in pain!

Last edited by Lauri Strandell on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 am

Oh dear!
I hope you heal up quickly that looks awfully painful.
Can't wait to hear the good, hope it is mostly good but will listen to the bad too.
Danica'
chicneek

Back to top Go down

Post by makin faces by synni on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 am

ouchie that looks sore!!!
i had so much fun reading all this post! feels like i even got to know you a little bit Very Happy
just a tad envious of your sewing room!!!
looking forward to hearing the end of your tale!
oh and please send me some of that snow, in a heat wave here is south australia 44*C today phew!
makin faces by synni

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://	facebook.com/synni80

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 am

that looks painful!!
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by ablissfulaffair on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Love your craft room!!!! Hate your boo-boo! Sad OMG!
Hope it doesn't hurt as bad as it looks.
Looking forward to pics!.....sounds like you're positive, positive all the way!
ablissfulaffair

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2010-10-15

http://www.ablissfulaffair.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Well finally, time to sum up the Winter Carnival event. Instead of writing the long and short of it, I’m just going to write the “short” of it! A quick summary of the good, the bad, and you’ve seen the ugly. affraid

The Good
- Face Painting Fun Booth brought in plenty of money. Paid the other painter-Tracey, the cashier-Michelle and my hostess-Holly (glitter girl, picture taker, and white-flowers-only face painter) just got paid hourly through the restaurant and I tipped her appropriately. The second weekend is just me, another cashier and Holly and we're painting inside on saturday only, so .....

- Got my banners and banner stands (and Darren is going to make a tutorial on how to make these stands for less than $15 each!)

- We made a lot of little kids happy (not all were pretty, but all were happy!) Steamers Facebook Link

- Had the booth set up on Saturday just right! Our backs to the parents so parents could take all the photos they wanted and I didn’t have to be in them (mostly)! When I was done with a kid I could say “Go get your glitter” or “Go look in the mirror,” basically get out of my chair and WHO’S NEXT!!! lol! I never let the kids look in a hand mirror while they're in the painting chair.
The prices were on the outside of the booth on the photos and this worked well, if the parents didn't want to spend, they didn't have too. But a lot of parents walked up and just blurted out “How much?” Thank you Michelle, our cashier, for directing them!
Parents or siblings could look through the clear vinyl from the outside so 20 people weren’t crowded in the little space (10 x 20 is bigger than most festivals, but most festivals are NOT in the winter!)

- By Sunday, we cut down on the number of designs and could have made about $200 more if we had opened earlier.

The Bad
- I (me) didn’t make what all you face painters make i.e. $60/hour, $75/hour with a two-hour minimum, etc. but I still put $500 cash in my pocket. I just worked a lot of hours for it! I didn’t have to pay for a booth in the vendor court, which would have put me in the negative.

- Way too long of hours to have the booth open. It was sooooooooooo cold by 4:30 and I scheduled the booth open till 6pm. On Friday night we were painting under a florescent light that Darren hung for us, we got there late because of my ankle, Darren forgot to bring the sidewalls for the canopy, and we were painting till 6:15. One small heater with no sidewalls on the tent. BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Yes, the floor of the booth was ice and packed snow. But Saturday we had it together!

Location could have been better, but we always had a line - you can only paint one at a time anyway, and my location was FREE! so..........

We opened late and closed early on Sunday. Oh well – after a record-breaking night on Saturday at my restaurant, I just didn’t care and slept in.

- Wasted time and money making my own vinyl sidewalls when I should have just bought the correct ones that go with the canopy (about an $80 loss). But sidewalls from the company are expensive, but they fit, but, but, but.......... all in all - I hope I don't have to paint outside in the winter snow again Shocked

Summary – Made money with $3, $6, $9 and $12 designs, I will paint inside next year, I will always try to have a cashier.

And I thought this would be short Very Happy

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Hahahaha lol! I forgot the title of this post - How much paint will I need?

I had more than 100 times what I needed, I only used my long cakes, and star blends white and red. Glad I had back up of black and white. Even my tiger cake didnt seem to go down!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 am

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of doing some summer events. You answered all my questions with your posts. Hope your ankle is healing nicely.
flopsietheclown

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2010-11-10

http://www.ClassicClown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 pm

A couple more things I thought of
- No kid ever touched my paints or fiddled with my stuff
- I love, love, love my long brushes and how they look when I'm toting my shower caddy paint box, but they are TOO LONG to paint a kids face with. The long brushes were too long Sad

And here is my ankle after 9 DAYS! and I'm going to go paint at Steamers tonight. At least I have downgraded from cankle to canklet Very Happy

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 pm

ONE more lesson learned from this festival - I will always take AIRBOUNE or some other product like it! I am soooooooooooo sick, not from the cold weather - I'm totally acclimated, but from having so many kid-germs from all over the west all concentrated in my booth pale , and I started off weak - I couldn't sleep for weeks before the event because of nerves and anxeity. Aacchhh...choooooo......

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top