Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

more about me / advice / cork vampire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

more about me / advice / cork vampire

Post by kat on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:38 pm

This is a three part post.
heh

First - more about me

I read the post requesting that we share more of ourselves (newbies, mostly - I think) .... unfortunately, I don't have much to share as to face painting, experience, etc...
I am going to share a bit about myself so that you'll know who you're talking to in the future. *s* Then, as time and circumstance (experience/information/images) allow I will post more (a site, gallery, etc) as I gain knowledge and experience.

I am the 44 year old wife ( of a very nice fellow), the mother of a beautiful 8 year old boy who happens to have Aspergers & ADHD (his sensory issues don't allow for much face painting.. funny stories about that)... *LOL*), a granddaughter to an invalid Grandmother that I care for, a substitute teacher (I've been working almost full time these last few months), and avid hoarder.. erm.. collector of all things craft related!
I tend to get roped into any and all school functions that require scenery and settings. Suspect
We have a farm 45 minutes away, raise our own produce, beef and process our own pork.
I have been involved in something garden/craft related for most of my life.
I touched lightly upon face painting over the last year (cheek art, mostly) and have become enamored of it. All those smiling (wriggling) faces ... and I got to paint too!!!!

There, that's me in a nut shell. Surprised

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advice -

I posted earlier in the week that I was going to purchase some paints. Upon reflection (and some bit of addition) I've decided that it would behoove me to purchase the 32 gram Diamond FX instead of the pallets that I was looking at. more paint per color, less colors)

The advice part
I'm going to post my list of things to purchase below.... I will have about 30$ left to spend... is there anything not on the list that I NEED to begin, or anything on there that could be left off?
I can't find a medium blue... is there one?

I really, really, REALLY want the neon/metallix paints (has serious issues with wanting it ALL) but feel that I can pick that up down the road. (making future rainbow neons with those)

I thought that with the list above I could make my own split cakes ...... the basics, anyway.... jungle blend, white/pink/rose, shades of blue, fire, and so on from the 32 gram paints instead of trying to purchase the small split paints.

I selected a Paradise Black to use on children as I've read that the DFX black stains.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?
asks the woman who has just spent the last ~mumble~mumble~ hours in the forum shop....

Is the DFX orange an okay color ? (it looks a bit sherbert-y to me)

Okay... that's it, I think.... on to the vampire post....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been a cork vampire, and I admit it!
I'm putting the blame on being a newbie, and not having much in the way of contributions.. most of my experience is in acrylics, watercolor, crafts, and gardening... I feel rather inferior when it comes to responding to others posts....

I've spent more time than I will EVER admit to my spouse reading the cork (many times getting lost and forgetting where I've posted, etc... anyone else get lost in here? *L*)

I spent a fair amount of time on the cork using my iTouch (when with grandmother (she's asleep)/etc). iTouches are great... just not for typing - hence my many appearances online without any posts.

Now that I've gotten my toes wet, I'm hope to add to the community in a beneficial and positive manner.

In the future I will try to be less of a vamp, and more of a productive member....

Thanks!
Kathy
flower
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Re: more about me / advice / cork vampire

Post by maggie on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Kathy, love your intro and post, I read every bit of it Smile Yay for butchering your little snaz palette (read it on another thread) and OMG! you don't know how many times I filled up my carts, yes! "I said carts" I have multiples of those going at once LOL

Nice list you got going there!
Just noticed that some of your cakes are 32 grams and others are 45, if you are planing on making split I would think is best if all of them are of the same thickness.

I would definitely get the tag pearl old gold, maybe tag pearl white for bases, it is great for girls and you can mix some of your colors with a little bit of white to make them sparkle.

Brushes, don't see them on your list. Oh, and sponges too.
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 pm

The Golden Yellow isn't a must, neither is the DFX brown or Dark blue(it is REALLY dark). Sadly there really isn't a super great orange out there, but I love Snaz Dark Orange the best. It makes wonderful Tigers, basket balls and you can always mix it with a bit of white if you need a lighter orange.

I would try and go for the light and dark brown paradise as those seem really popular for some reason. Also, you don't have a pink in there. I would go for the DFX Pink or Paradise Dark Pink. I love those.

We all have our favorites, but if you really can't decide, you may consider going for a 12 colors DFX or TAG palette or 30 color palette from Paradise. You will still use all of the color up, have two palettes you can refill with the colors you love and won't have much left over that you hate.

Also, the larger neon is a must, the little one not so much-unless you want to do lots of rainbows and rainbow ribbons. I would go for a small split that might make loads of flowers like the TAG Black Orchid, Rose or other small spit.

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:28 pm

Metina, she has dfx pink and fushia pink in her cart.
I am so happy you replied because I wanted to get a brown and wasn't sure what to get. I was also wondering about the dark blue, good to know.

I also agree with Metina on the little neon rainbow split. I have the big one and love it.

Snazaroo red is a great red. The golden yellow is more like a school bus yellow.
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 pm

maggie, me too!
I usually have a dozen or so windows open at any given time.. *L*

About the 32 and the 45 gram colors... the forum shop doesn't have all the colors in either size.... I thought that maybe I could flatten the 45's to match the others? dunno..,, I was going to ask Metina what she thought about it.

I'm going to tell my S/O that 100% of the respondents to my post have suggested that I NEED more splits! so what if there are two!!! *LOL*

Metina, thank you for your recommendations. responding here as to not make you dizzy going back and forth from mail... *heh*

So, paradise brown is better than DFX? I need both browns?

I've nixed the Dark Blue.... amending my list .....

Can I use the Snaz orange to make splits with the DFX? for 'fire' and such

One thing: I live where the summers are hot and humid. That's why I went with mostly DFX.

Do Paradise and TAG hold up well in hot/humid weather? I've garnered my info from the many, MANY cork posts that I've read...

How big are the TAG 1-strokes?
Do you use a 1-inch brush with them, or a sponge?

maggie,
I've been buying brushes at Hobby Lobby!
Last week they had a 60% sale, this week a 50% sale on brushes!

I also bought some round sponges there... as well s a pack of chisel foam brushes and mops... that's what I made the bubbles with.

This is my latest list without the split cakes as I need a bit more information about them... (size, how they hold up in heat)
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 pm

This list takes me to my $$ limit...

Cart
DFX Neon Blending Cake
Essential Black
Essential White, 45 ...
Paradise, Black
Iridescent Pearl Whi...
Essential Brown
Essential Green
Essential Light Blue
Essential Violet
Essential Pink
Essential Red
Essential Green-Ligh...
Essential Blue, 45 g...
Essential Yellow, 45...
Snaz Dark Orange
Paradise, Dark Brown
TAG Pearl White, 32 ...
TAG Pearl Gold, 32 G...
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 pm

I am glad I am not the only one who does that. lol

Wish we had a hobby lobby here, I get my brushes at Michael's and AC More when they have them on sale.

With the tag one stroke you use a brush, 1 or 3/4 inch.
BTW I think I read it here that dfx, tag and wolfe are made by the same company. Tag is cheaper. I have tag and dfx and they both feel the same.

BTW dfx sea green is amazing it goes so well with the dfx green-light, there is a picture of a tiger in my gallery with those colors.

Tag has some skin colors too, check them out.

Sorry if I am confusing you even more, I am a big researcher or maybe I just can't make up my mind LOL
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 pm

I revised my list once again... *L*
Stayed within my budget too!

We're lucky to have a Hobby Lobby. We're not large enough to be able to sustain several hobby stores.
though I wish otherwise...

Thanks for the info on TAG... I didn't know that it was so closely related to DFX and Wolf.

I'll have to get the sea green next time. I wanted to get it and a couple of the metallics.. but, $$ doesn't grow on trees down here.. so I keep getting told.... hmpht!

thanks again for all your help....

I'm tickled pink... and various other assorted essential colors... heh

I almost wish that I didn't have to sub this week so that I could sit with m'nose pressed to the window - waiting on the mailman!

kat

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 am

You are welcome! Can't wait to see what you do with those beautiful colors!

Let me know how you like the paradise black, I have been contemplating getting it because I hear is does not stain. I have a little case with black wolfe and it stains less than the dfx black.
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:30 am

Hi! I didn't see this post before, but for next time I will put in my 2 cents.

First, Welcome to the forum (or at least to posting to it)!

I have almost all TAG and have used a little wolf and Snaz. TAG holds up well in heat (I've used it in the summer in Fresno) It, like all of them, will get a *little* softer, but it doesn't hurt them or make painting difficult. TAG red is a lovely red red (not orangey), I might suggest silver as well. I got gold and silver in my first order and loved them (I didn't get the other metalics until my 2nd order). TAG royal blue is a medium blue - not too dark. You can see the TAG color comparisons here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1285712956&aid=2093925

As Maggie said, TAG one-strokes are 1" wide so you can use a 3/4" or 1" brush but their rainbow cakes are big for sponges. I love my pearl rainbow cake.

IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:56 am

Welcome!

My 2 cents on the Paradise black ... I usually use snaz black for the eye area when painting skulls, but last weekend used my paradise by accident. The next day the mom of one of the kids I'd painted a skull on said it was really difficult to clean his eyes. He still had 'black' rims on his eyes. (he's in my daughters kindergarten class so we were waiting in line together). So from now on if I have to paint a lot of black on the eyes like in the case of a skull, it's going to only be snaz.

I live in a much cooler place, so don't know if that makes a difference Very Happy

I like having snaz for bases too. The DFX, TAG, and wolfe are all great for linework, but not so great with the smooth blending in my experience. Also, I love the big neon rainbow from Metina...it's worth it to have them done. It'd be a hassle to cut up all those cakes and make a clean split with dfx. It's not so bad with snaz or kryolan as they're softer. But that is the one split I use the most. I love the rectangle shape too.

Enjoy! Can't wait to see what you do with the paints when they arrive! I love what we do!!

Very Happy
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:33 am

Magna, Thank you so much for clarifying this! I have a big pot of black snazaroo, was going to replace it because it was awful for line work but then I bought a dfx black.

Gina, thanks so much for that link, I spent hours looking for it yesterday and no luck.
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 am

Well hello and welcome to our forum family! well as for the paints i bought the snaz set to start me off and i fell in love with it just becuase i love teh colors and how well they blend some ppl dont prefer it but you will find out what you like thru many trial and errors. I use snaz still and have expanded with using wolfe, Tag, and DFX. I love them all in there own wayys lol like my children or something lol. for now i would just recommend on getting the basics. Then with time get other things. But who am i to tell really i have an addiction to buying paints lol. i cant help it im telling ya its an addiction. lol. well good luck with everything and if you need anything at all feel free to ask.!.!.

Ashley Marie.
-Creative Occasions.
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 pm

I don't think you'd need both browns.
I use mostly snaz since I use them for bases. The dfx and wolfe cakes last me forever because I just use them for details and lines.
The colours I use most are snaz sparkles in turquiose, pink, gold, red and green
snaz black(even though it gets mushy in the heat) and white
then snaz red and orange
paradise black and white
dfx black and white
wolfe metalics in red(more of a pink) blue and green
dfx metalic purple
The tag one stroke rainbow is my fav tiny split.

Have fun.
I started out by buying a snaz jumbo palette, a small paradise palette and a wolfe neon-metallic appetizer palette and did a load of jobs with just those. I then learned what I liked, how they all worked and what I can't live without. There are many jobs when I only open half or less of the paints I bring along.
Danica
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:17 pm

maggie,
I've been chomping at the bit to get the paints!

I will. Though, from what I've read below, Paradise also stains.

You mentioned that TAG is very similar to Wolf and DFX - does it have a smoother application than the other two? I've read (on here) that some people find Wolf & DFX tougher to apply evenly.

I've been looking at TAG colors... mostly the pearlized... as i have most of the essential colors in DFX (I want the seafoam!).

Thanks for all your help!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, IamGinaW!

Thanks!

It's good to know about the TAG.... do you prefer it over the DFX?
What a great color chart! (looking at the Facebook page)

Thanks for the link!

I would like to try to make some rainbow cakes with what I've bought. I've made a list of several color combinations and realize that I am going to need a few more colors to make some of them. (my S/O is going to be SOOOO happy... *L*)

Can I mix TAG with DFX in the split/rainbow cakes? Do they wear similarly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CATZ, thanks for the note!

I'll do some test patches on my victims... er... willing faces!
I bought the little SNAZ 8 dollar pack at Hobby Lobby and have enjoyed it. I did find that the black seemed to cling to my son's eyelashes, making him appear somewhat exotic. laugh... He's 8, and blonde, and didn't enjoy the envious stares of women who commented on his lashes... (we had to run to town before getting a good final scrubbing)

I like the black, but, the white?? not so much. It seems to thicken quickly... and becomes sticky.. no matter the amount of water (less or more) that I add.

I had thought to buy some of the shimmer colors in SNAZ for bases. I really like the sheerness of them (from what I can see online).

Yeah, I like the rectangle shape too!

Thanks again!
I'm so excited! *g*

Ashley,

You too! *s*
Thanks!

I know.... I'm that way with everything.... I've got to have ALL the shiny, pretty, sparkling colors.... I was terrible in school when buying school supplies... I should have known then... *L*
I'm worse than Gollum with the ring!

Thanks for the recommendations!

chickneek,
Thanks for the recommendations!

I was going to buy the appetizer palettes, but, found that I could buy larger pots of color for almost the same cost.

As I said above, I've really been thinking (since I bought the little SNAZ pack at Hobby Lobby) of buying SNAZ sparkles. So pretty!
I've not had a problem with the black.. though, time will tell (if I buy one) during our summer heat. (mid to upper 90's (and higher) with high humidity).

Thanks!
Kathy
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:40 pm

I have a little wolfe palette that came with a book, the black and white are awesome, Just used them with a brush. Not sure how they blend with a sponge.

I have both dfx and tag and they blend very well with sponge and great to work with brush. The metallic colors are a lot creamier.
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:02 pm

I've been meaning to say that it took me quite a while to figure out what you meant by "cork vampire" or even "cork." LOL
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top