Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Advice on putting yourself out there

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advice on putting yourself out there

Post by terntam on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am

First, I want to say that I just love this website!! I so respect and admire everyone on here! I love all the advice, the comraderie, the sense of community, just great!! Okay so here's my issue. I just started this, hmmm, November last year? Bought a bunch of paint and have been practicing, probably not nearly enough. I really want to do this as a part time job as that is really all I need. If it goes better than that then great. My problem is that I'm so afraid to fail I haven't put myself out there at all. I'm not really unconfident about my painting ability(although I don't come close to a lot of you on here!) as I've been painting everything from furniture to crafts to wall murals for years, but I'm more afraid of not remembering designs, coming up with my own ideas, and just the general being out there in the public. How did you all push yourself to get out there the first time? My husband always says "what's the worst thing that could happen?". And eventhough i know he's right I just can't bring myself to do it. Embarassed
terntam

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Advice on putting yourself out there

Post by Mehndi Masala on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 am

Oh my...that is a huge discussion right there, from cheat sheets that you keep with you for inspiration to the unbound joys of online free advertising and footwork. Do you have agents in your area??
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 am

if your fear is forgetting, then bring pictures with you... improvising on the spot comes with comfort and confidence, don't feel bad if you can't do it right away. Most of your clients won't mind if you say that you need to stick to the displayed designs for now.

From the sounds of it, it's not that you don't know HOW to put yourself out there, but that you're just afraid to do it. So, listen to your husband... what IS the worst that could happen? Some kid looks in the mirror and says, "I don't like it." ....probably 5 more kids nearby will already be saying how great it is while you are painting him and he'll be convinced it's great before you even show him the mirror. But even if someone does say they don't like it, you ask what it is that they don't like so you can fix it or would they like to change to a different design? If you have the pictures out there of the designs, then they should have a pretty good idea of what you're going to do and what it will look like.

When I first started even thinking of clowning, I asked myself what will be the HARDEST thing for me to do? I decided that it would be dealing with my fear of people's pets while I was in their house... so I decided that my character is afraid of everything and it just ends up fitting in when I kind of tighten up and don't do anything but say "nice puppy, nice puppy, nice puppy..." until they take it away from me. A clown character was one way for me to get around that difficulty, but the point is that there are ways around all of your fears... identify them all and find solutions to help yourself get through them.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyamaldo119 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Just remember it's a slow start. It is going to take time. I started the business part of this in August and only get about 2 bookings a month right now. The different threads on here are very helpful. So keep doing your research. As far as marketing goes start with some flyers with pics of your best work so far and some business cards from vistaprint.com. Put them in the supermarkets and party supply stores near you. That's where most of my calls come from.

Kids aren't that picky so don't focus on the details you missed when you are face painting. I have forgotten parts of designs many times but when the kids look in that mirror they don't see what you missed, they see the really cool character you turned them into. It's like looking for any job these days. You just have to learn to sell what you do while improving your skills.
tanyamaldo119

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.misstanyasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the chat and I hope that helped!! Now.....GO GET EM 'TIGER'! Wink

Very Happy
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:35 pm

I've been painfully shy since childhood. It's in my genes I think. BUT, my DH is a psychotherapist and has helped me so much in the last 14 years of knowing him. It's only fear that is holding you back. You are probably afraid of what people will think of you, afraid of any kind of confrontation, etc. But, once you jump in and just do it, you will build up positive memories and associations with face painting and it will just get easier and easier. If you have anxiety, before try relaxation techniques and/or visualization. If it is really hard on you, don't feel bad about seeking some professional help. A lot of people have "social phobia" which is just shyness and like a stage fright being around people. But the thing is, once you start actually painting, that is what you will be thinking about. All the rest will fade away and you'll be just concentrating on the kid in front of you and the painting. Your self-consciousness will go away.

What might help is starting the way I did ... volunteer for some school fundraiser (contact preschools and private grade schools). Remember that they are USED to very very amateurish work (if anything) and if they are not paying you, they won't expect good work and then you will blow them away when they see how good you are! You'll get all kinds of compliments and you'll feel more confident after. Just keep telling yourself that they are used to just having some mom who has probably NEVER face painted before do something out of a book. When I do my daughter's class parties, I'm always hearing "Wow! You should be a professional! You're so talented!" ...and then, of course, I say "Well I better be good because I AM a professional face painter." Very Happy
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Jump in!

Painting more is the only way to develop your style, and get good at the regular stuff. Just doing it will be the only way to build confidence, too.
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:15 pm

I can completely appreciate where you are coming from, I am terrible at putting myself out there. I've missed out on several opportunities because I am too nervous/shy to ask. I waffle about things until it's too late.

I agree with what GinaW suggested - volunteer somewhere. That is what I did last summer, I volunteered to paint at our farmer's market. And I fretted about it for a couple weeks before I finally got up the nerve to ask if they'd like me to come and paint for free! (And I emailed to ask, I couldn't even bring myself to ask face to face, even though I sort of knew the market manager!) I felt like I was going to throw up, I was so nervous the first time!! But....by the end of the first day I was hooked... it is a huge boost to your self-confidence to have people complimenting your work. And after the first time, I also realized that the kids usually love it no matter what, and even if you see mistakes they won't - in their eyes it is fabulous!
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by terntam on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks so much everyone, I'm going to be practicing a ton more and going to be making up some fliers and biz cards!! This is why I love this forum!! Thanks for the lift. And a special "thank you" to Mehndi!!! Thanks so much for our chat, I enjoyed it immensely. By the way, everyone, she needs to be a motivational speaker!! LOL no joke, though! Exclamation
terntam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:44 am

LOL I'm so glad that our chat got you motivated to give'er!!! Remember, you are an artist with so much to share! And only you can share it and tell your story your way! YOu have the tools, the support and the talent! Go make memories!!!! Know that we are all cheering you on!!!!
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:00 am

Okay, I LOVE the "Get it done guy" Stever Robbins podcasts:
http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/
I subscribe to them and keep them on my iphone via iTunes. Warning: His website is fairly ad-heavy.

This one in particular is useful for your situation:
http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-face-your-fears.aspx
There is also a transcript of the podcast, though I think he's hilarious and worth listening to.

Basically, he gives you this exercise. "What will happen if..."
So you say,

What will happen if I find an event to face paint at?
I might paint a shark instead of a zebra and the kid won't be happy.
What if the kid isn't happy?
The kid might sink into a funk resulting in him flunking his future SATs and then not getting into college.
What happens if the kid doesn't get into college?
The kid might have to take up circus clowning and tightrope walking.
What happens if a kid takes up circus clowning?
Well, he might try to execute a double back flip on the tightrope, misjudge his distance, and land in the lion-tamer's show below being devoured instantly.

So, what happens if you make a mistake painting? A kid's career is cut short and he is devoured by a tiger....... Bummer.

So, with that nonsense out of the way, here's what really goes down.

What if you make a mistake while face painting?
You take out one of those handy wet-wipes we all carry, rub it off, and start again.
Or, even more realistically, you just add a lot of blood (for boys....or cool girls) or glitter (for girls...or cool boys) and call it good.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Great new topic terntam
I'm pretty much exactly at the stage you're at minus the previous painting skills! So probably a touch more nervy about it all. All the advice as usual is brilliant. Thanks all.
It's true how compliments feed your confidence. I have only done two family parties and my sons school class end of last year, but I received so much postive feedback (it played out exactly as Gina described! lol) that it gave me the push to think, yes, I can do this.
Goodluck terntam. I too have to get out there with business cards, flyers etc. Even thinking a website might be in order. *yikes* Have even less skills in the tech world, so really up for some challenges this year. lol
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 pm

Oh, by they way terntam ---- I take it back, i'm nowhere near at the same stage as you! lol
your work is brilliant!!! you really need to get out there!!
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by terntam on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:48 am

Oh, I'm sure that my painting ability can definitely use some practice. I only post the best ones!! LOL but thanks Rae. I really want to get faster and better at coming up with my own designs. You are farther than me as far as doing a "gig" even if it was family/school related. Unfortunately my youngest is in middle school now and I can't volunteer to do that at his school. Or he'd probably kill me!! LOL You know, the whole "mom you're embarrassing me" teen thing!! Hate it!! Anyway, I might try the elementary, as when he was young i volunteered there all the time, but I didn't facepaint then. anyway they all know me so it might be a good place to get my "feet wet".
terntam

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyamaldo119 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 am

If you gals want to make a website you can make free ones ant wix.com or Microsoft Office Live Small Business.
tanyamaldo119

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.misstanyasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by missashly on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I got my start twisting balloons at restaruants first. when people asked me if i can do facepaint at parties, well i just had to pick it up to keep business.

When I wanted more business, I hit up my kid's day care and school to get started with some events. I signed up at church events (either my church or my family's churches) and community events like county fairs. Confidence is everything. Honestly im a crappy face painter but i love every picture i make and when its made with love, the people you paint on really appreciate it. ALSO most ppl you paint on cant do face paint at all so its like magic to them lol.
missashly

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-02-05

http://www.AshlySellersEntertainment.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by terntam on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:33 am

yeah, just gotta jump in... i know. just gotta keep telling myself that! Very Happy Julie... that "what if" is so funny!! I love it!
terntam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gisrus on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 am

My 2 cents - since having a website my little business has grown even in the recession. So go getta website is my advice... Very Happy

Gisrus

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-07-26

http://www.facepainting-ireland.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top