Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Glitter gel difficulties

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Glitter gel difficulties

Post by cassandra on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Greetings face painters,

I'm new to face painting and am just starting to use glitter gel. I was wondering how you apply it in a thin line over paint. I have tried two methods:

1. squirt a bit on the back of my hand and use a brush. This takes a long time.
2. use a metal tip that fits over the nozzle of the bottle. This seems to lay down too much glitter. The finer tips clog.

Any words of advice from those with glitter know how?

Thanks.

Cassandra
cassandra

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Glitter gel difficulties

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:07 am

Liquid Bling Review this is a review I wrote for FABA Magazine.

The metal tips work for me... when they are in use, put a large headed pin in the nozzle to keep it clear when you are not applying the gel. When you are finished the job, remove and clean the metal nozzles. I soak for bit in alcohol, then very hot water, agitate the container to knock out the glitter, rinse several times, use a pin to ensure the tips are clear, dry off and put away until your next gig. Do not store with the pins in the gel as they can corrode.

If not using the metal tips, you can just squeeze a little gel where you want it on the skin, then use a flat dry brush to move it around where you want it, OR, apply a small dab to the brusth then apply.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:10 am

I'm guessing you're talking about the Snazaroo glitter gel? those really can't go down in a fine line, the pieces are too big... you'd have to use the liquid bling for that.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:59 pm

I was experimenting with the Glitz n Glam because it supposedly dries faster than the Liquid Bling. That review confirmed what I had read elsewhere about the drying time.

I did try applying with a brush too. I got good results but when outlining a whole mask it took what seemed to be a long time. I will probably get faster with practice. I also didn't like the way the brush picks up the underlying color as you go.

I will be attending the convention in May and can't wait! I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Thanks.
cassandra

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin on Sun May 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Ooof, I only use gel if its in bling type bottles, and generally only on adults/ older kids. Too much of a faff/ too likely to get wiped off otherwise!

much prefer powdery glitters - can use puffer or brush, wet or dry..

cat x
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnieKeane on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:32 am

I've never had a good experience with glitter gel myself though I can see how it would be great if it were easier to apply for things like outlining or dotting it in a specific location. But I really couldn't be arsed to do that, lol..my attempts at glitter gel were like completely unattractive blobs of gunk on the face. I too prefer the poof bottles with loose glitter.
MinnieKeane

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:09 pm

I found an interesting product at the American Body Art vendor booth at the convention. It was called eyeliner sealant. You use it with loose glitter by dipping your brush in the sealant and then in the loose glitter. It went on pretty smooth.

At this point in my face painting career, I would only use it for special things... just like the glitter gel. It's pretty but for little kids and speed factor it's not practical.
cassandra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Yep eyeliner sealer - Kryolan makes a sealer - had it for years.

We actually just did a gel test here tonight with 4 brands. Drying time was not significantly faster to really notice - but it is dry here where we are.

I rarely use gel but am going to be using it more painting with Mark Reid who loves it. I say go w/o the tip if applying to kids - and yes the wait to dry time is too long for the kiddos. Great with adults - tip or no tip it all is in the practice.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top