Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Has Anybody worked for Kaman's Art Shoppe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has Anybody worked for Kaman's Art Shoppe?

Post by OC FUN on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:18 am

Im going to re-apply for kamans and leave disneyland attractions(as they wanted me to before). I love face painting so much, I just want to be able to do it more often. But I know that their base pay is $8.00 and hour and for me that is another pay cut. Just wondering if anybody knows what the commition is. I know it will probably differ from state to state but I just want to get an idea to see if I will be able to still pay all my bills.
OC FUN

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.ocfunrentals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has Anybody worked for Kaman's Art Shoppe?

Post by Metina on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Seem's cool if you want the practice, but $8 an hour is robbery in my opinion. In my mind it would almost be more beneficial to work for $8 an hour for someone local that you could get birthday parties and other events for locally. I have even thought about asking my local Wal-mart to let me paint outside or something like this.

Do they offer you any training, tools or benefits?

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamFantastico on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Wow. I'm only getting $7.50 at Busch Gardens through Kamans. First day if it's slow the person you are working with might show you a few brush strokes (I went in blind) but if it's busy they'll just have you start with a picture. A kid comes up and wants a butterfly, you paint a butterfly. It's really frustrating when you first start and are working with someone who has been there a while and their work looks incredible next to your uneven sloppy work. All the tools are left at work so slow time is practice time. No benefits.
SamFantastico

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2011-01-30

http://Www.Facebook.com/BroadwayBodyArt

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Wow! I've never worked for any theme parks, but that's just crazy cheap! I'm supposing they provide the paints, brushes, etc?
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 pm

When I looked at working for Disney, they provided the supplies and all I would have had to do is show up and paint. But their pay grade was ridiculous too so I quickly took it out of my "considerations" file.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Seems crazy to me that a HUGE place like Disneyland would offer such low rates of pay. scratch
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by SamFantastico on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:07 pm

The disney parks do not do the facepainting. They are run by a contracting company, like Kamans, called Enjoy Your Face. Unlike Kamans, Enjoy Your Face provides a great deal of training so all the artist designs look alike. They also pay more. Kamans does provide all of the supplies you need, paints, brushes, glitter tattoos, and we make our own henna.

Working for a theme park can get crazy sometimes, especially in Florida. The disgusting heat, the hurricanes, the (sometimes) cold weather. In the summer we get 10 minute rain showers every day like clockwork. That can make painting difficult. You do get a lot of time to practice your designs on different face shapes and find out what does work and what doesn't. I am actually really glad I started my whole face painting experience with a company first because now I am very fast and skilled at doing a lot of things that beginners struggle with. The pay is sucky, but doing gigs on the side in towns away from the park are helpful.
SamFantastico

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Yep, what she said about the Disney contracting company. From what I remember, they still don't pay more than $10 an hour.
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm

That is crazy. Minimum wage in Canada is I think $10.75.
How can someone live off $8 an hour?
Plus, all the talent behind the painting. If you need the job and love painting, go for it and get all the experience and practice you can.

Back to top Go down

Post by SamFantastico on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Holy crow I feel terrible now. I was working on 9.50 as a photographer actually working for Busch Gardens and that was amazing. $7.50 an hour isn't even $8 so it hurts. There are times that I am literally selling my plasma at DCI biologicals so I can get food for the week. I've sold my 150+ dvds which is one of my prized possessions. Times are tough here and I can't do merchandise sales in stores as I would end up insane.
SamFantastico

Back to top Go down

Post by emilyeagan on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I work for Kaman's as well and its safe to say that it's virtually impossible to live off of $7.50 an hour, it's also equally as impossible to make commission, you have to average $42 per hour for the week, in my one year of working there, I've only made it once and that was during one of the busiest weeks of the summer.
On the other hand being a body artist at Kaman's has been totally worth it for me in every aspect except my finances, its the best job I've ever had and the experience is unlike anything you could get starting out small, after working there I feel pretty confident about doing bigger gigs and festivals. I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve their skills, you just might have to find a second job.
emilyeagan

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:49 pm

Minimum wage in Canada varies from province to province Smile
A job is a job. If its a matter of eating or not, take the job. We all have to pay our dues, but an issue of survival is something different.
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 am

It would kill me, as much as places like that charge customers for facepainting, to be making so little of that money myself. I suppose the FP company is paying the park a huge amount in rent too though.

I'm with Criss though. A job is a job, and if you have to have a full-time job then face painting is a nice one to have. Just strike out on your own as soon as you can, because marketing yourself for party entertainment will be much more financially beneficial.
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:02 am

Yep. The way I got started was being hired by a company. I was making $25 an hour, but I was only working an hour every two weeks which is what made me want to branch out and do it on my own. So I did and the rest is history. I was booked from the first weekend that I left.
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Actually yes

Post by Kawaiikana-chan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 pm

I actually just finished a season working for Kaman's at the Columbus Zoo and it did very well for me. While the base pay is low and it might be a good idea to look for a second job if you need the security, if you have the right personality and are determined its entirely possible to make commission on a regular basis. I rarely had a week in which I didn't hit my commission numbers and Commission will get your 18% of your total sales. If you can get a position as a lead or supervisor it becomes much easier to get good numbers and work enough hours to cover bills. (I was not a supervisor or lead myself). It really comes down to the question of do you enjoy doing commission based work? Its not for everyone and there are a lot of factors to consider, but speaking from experience it can be done.

Kawaiikana-chan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by emilyeagan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Working at an attraction that is open seasonally is much different than working at a theme park open year round. There are months (Aug-mid Nov, late Jan-early March) where you'll generally make less then $50 all day because attendance is so low. The majority of customers are locals who have unlimited year passes, so they don't feel the need to spend on extras such as face paint and temporary tattoos, because they can visit whenever and it's a common experience. Spring break, summer and the week after christmas, you can make commission, but other then that, it just doesn't happen. It really depends on where you work, but like I said, money isn't my top priority, doing a job I love is.
emilyeagan

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top