Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Going Green : )

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Going Green : )

Post by Heather Timmons on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:17 am

I just wish I'd had this informaiton when I was much younger....better late than never! Very Happy

I understand the 'California mindset'. I loved living in Monteray Bay, CA for a few years...the ocean was so peaceful and yet there was a sense of a 'sleeping beast' to it...it could be a bit 'overwhelming' when it was storming and the waves churned and pounded the rocky shorelines! You could literally feel the 'power of the sea' vibrating in your bones!

I was there for the San Francisco earthquake in the late 80s and it was so surreal being there with the power off and looking out over the Bay and seeing nothing but stars right down to the horizon!

My neighbor had lots of candles (think 'Charmed') and we sat on her balcony burning candles (she had lots) and drinking wine while the power was out. Later I cooked all the contents of my little freezer and gave the food to all my neighbors as it would have spoiled otherwise! We were living in an old Victorian where all the rooms had been converted into 'mini apartments'. It was such a 'communal family' atmosphere!

Living in California is where I taught myself to sew and got 'hooked' on holistic health and massage therapy! There was a fabulous fabric store down the road and they answered ALOT of questions! Very Happy I loved the little 'tea and coffee' shops on the boardwalk and how most everyone living there just walked to where ever they wanted to go. It was so beautiful there, that is for sure! I didn't like the cost of living there...but if I was rich!

Ok, enough tripping down memory lane!
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm

I would go back to California if I had the $$ too!!! I loved the weather and feel of the air and seeing the stars from the hills and mountains! Parts of it are downright deserty but I love Ventura and Santa Barbara areas...My family is still there and I am here in the lightning capital of the world worrying about hurricane season part of the year and sweating in the heat the other part. The beaches are some of the best things about Florida and then how green and lush it is! My midwestern man probably would not adjust well to the California lifestyle..... Joan Rivers said there are four seasons in California - fire, Santa Ana wind, mudslide and drought and never mind earthquakes!
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin on Sun May 03, 2009 8:41 pm

On the paint front i haven't had much success tho I do order in bulk. But I mainly live on a boat with solar poanels and a wind generator when I'm in Hong Kong so hope that helps even my score out! And in the UK we are on a farm, so I'm fairly self-sufficient. I do a lot of green/ eco fayres in both countries as I spent years running an ~Eco centre on a nature reserve & used to teach all that, so9 can talkl away about it whilst I paint. Plus most pof my clothes/ food is at the very least fair trade....

Have you guys heard of Moon Cups and the like? Or is any of that you mentioned a similar thing? I got my 1st one in my teens at a green fayre and they are brilliant - last at least 15 YEARS and less smelly than tampax, as well as no chance of toxic shock! I buy them for all my mates/ cousins etc as 18th birthday prezzies and so far all have been amazed, luckily!

cat x
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons on Sun May 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Aye, the 'Diva' (medical grade silicon) is essentially the same thing..and the 'Keeper' is made of gum rubber (the real stuff).

I just checked all the fruit trees I planted last month and they are all budding and the fig has the cutest little leaves! I'm so excited!

My tomato plants need to go into a bigger container soon. They are growing super fast! I'm gonna try one of those 'Topsy Turveys' planters this year. Sounds really easy to care for too. Very Happy
Heather Timmons

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra on Sun May 03, 2009 11:26 pm

Heather, where did you get your fig tree? Do you think you will get any figs???
cassandra

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Heffner on Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 am

Some new thoughts on the green painting front:

1. Considering trying out natural mica glitters instead of polyester glitters (polyester = plastic= little bits around forever and winding up in the ocean most likely)

2. Considering buying lots of dark washcloths for wiping little faces instead of disposable baby wipes

3. Considering starting a more local jam so that we don't have to drive 45 minutes to the closest one (though I will be there tonight, Jenny!)

4. Considering upping my advertising in my local area to cut down on driving

5. I wonder if I can fit my kit on my new bike... just kidding! Well, maybe my glitter tattoo kit...

6. Swapping my extras on the here instead of tossing

7. Buying e-books instead of a physical CD or book

That's all I have for now.

~Michelle Heffner
Bright & Shining Face Painting
Columbia, MD
Michelle Heffner

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-09-05

http://brightandshining.com/face_painting_blog

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons on Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 pm

cassandra wrote:Heather, where did you get your fig tree? Do you think you will get any figs???

Cassandra,

I got a 'Black Mission Fig' and a 'Tennessee Mountain Fig' which is supposedly a variant of a Celeste fig that is super cold hardy (down to minus 10, limited exposure).

They are both in large pots on my patio. I will wait until fall, when they have dropped their leaves and cold store them wrapped in burlap in my garage.

They are really more of a 'vine' than a tree and will put on new growth really fast and then the figs should appear all in the same year. Supposedly I should get lots of new growth this year and maybe even a few figs as I ordered a larger size (not those thin little twigs some places ship)!! It's an experiment and they will take lots of babying! I researched the perfect soil composition and pots for this for over a week.

I love the Black Mission Figs...so I'm rooting for that one. It's already budded and the leaves are open and they look like tiny little 'hands' if you've ever seen fig leaves it's just too cute.

The Tennessee Mtn is cold hardy, so it's just barely got buds now...I'm hoping it survived the transit from TY TY of Georgia (the nursery I ordered them from). All the other trees have buds, even a Pecan (a special cold hardy species) and the Walnut!!

If you go to www.tytyga.com you can look under the fruit trees. Be forwarned...this isn't your typical 'garden site'. They obviously hired some really good looking models and man, garden products never looked so sexy! haha..it looks like a Calvin Klein advertisement!

I'm too scared to plant the Tenn Mtn Fig in the ground this year. I'm going to wait until it's well established and then try to root set a limb and make cuttings. Then I'll have 'back ups' incase I plant one in the ground and it totally dies! Supposedly the worst thing that can happen to this variety is it will just dye back to the ground and have to 'regrow' again to gain size...but it can still fruit. /shrug. I just don't want to kill it before I give it a chance!!
Heather Timmons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top