Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Homemade brush holder

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homemade brush holder

Post by cassandra on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 pm

I just finished this brush holder. It's pretty but its usefulness remains to be seen. Found the fabric last year at Walmart and knew I would find something to make out of it. I love the colors!

How do you all transport your brushes? The last time I travelled with mine, one dried at an odd angle. Luckily it wasn't one of my nicer ones.
[url=]
cassandra

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Homemade brush holder

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 am

My mom made me a brush roll for my make-up brushes while I was in make-up school... it is super-sized and a double layer... two rows of pockets with flaps on top and on the ends... still using it for the expensive make-up brushes.

For face painting brushes I just put them in the compartment in my toolboxes' organizer drawer... no special container or anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:22 am

Something like yours Cassandra I have for my special effects brushes. My makeup brushes are in a big tube, and my facepainting/bodypaint brushes are to two smaller. My extra facepainting brushes (for courses and when having others with me on jobs) are also in one of these rolled ones. My brushes for temporary tattoos just stand in a glass in the studio, and when bringing them, they are just put in the kit. (plus my extra brushes that are in a big flowerpot... ) I have a thing for brushes *lol*
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Lone Wolf is a brush tart!!!!!!!!!!

I roll mine in a thick black cloth placemat (really stiff and easy to wash) that goes into a black rectangular faux suede Estee Lauder makeup pouch (it is really long).

It's okay though....I just got made fun of for how many I had a few gigs ago. I have like 25 I like to take. Each one does a certain thing best and I have to have one dedicated black and white if nothing else. Then there is my chisel, deerfoot/filbert, a bunch of diff size rounds, a smush brush for clouds and sea foam waves, thich one for eye shadow,script for stars and lettering, a smoothie for dry powders, a brush blush for the pink princess cheeks, a dotter wand, my butterfly wing brush, my new split cake brushes 10 and 12 .... I admire the 3 brush people, but I can't do it!!!!

I am a nut about not putting my brushes straight up and down. It grosses me out to think what drips into the ferrel and grows with paint residue, dirty water, etc......
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:34 am

I'm brush crazy also. I always take tons of brushes to any event I do. I just feel more comfortable that way. I did this when I took my Mark Reid class and he gave it the eye! Smile

He wanted us to only use one brush I believe, but I sneakily made sure I had at least three! And that was asking a lot... I don't even know how many I take normally, but there are bunches. I usually dedicate one brush per color. I hate how long it takes to rinse a brush out to switch to a different color.
Sherry

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.funfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:40 am

I don't like rinsing brushes out a lot since it makes the water turn brown. Then I don't feel like putting the brush in my white and yellow. If I use the rinse method, I thought about having one water for white and yellow, and another water for everything else.

On the other hand, when I don't rinse brushes, they harden after sitting a while and take a few moments to reactivate. I've noticed after not rinsing that the brush gets an accumulation of paint in the bristles and isn't shaped as nicely. The paint left inside makes it fatter and gloppy and I end up washing it out anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to work the brushes/water dilemma. I have so many brushes that I have to try to narrow it down else I'll end up having to get a wheeled cart just for brushes.

WyndyO - if you don't have your brushes straight up as you work, how do you do it?
cassandra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:40 am

I have a lot of brushes as I have to wash and sanitize them between people... I keep the clean ones in a small heavy acrylic vase, and once they are "in use" they sit in the holes on my water tub to dry out. The water tub is the three compartment one that you can find in art and craft stores... has ridges in the bottom of one compartment, holes around the rim for brushes, etc. It is square and usually beige in colour (as you can see in the photo.)

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:51 pm

Shannon - Do you use the three compartments for separate rinsing of white and other colors?

I noticed you have a bar of soap right there too. Do you use it as you work?
cassandra

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:37 pm

I don't have a lot of different kind of brushes when out facepainting. I do like Sherry and have different brushes for different colours. I have a number 1 and 6 (diamond arcade, practical, because they bristles don't touch even when standing close) each for red/orange, yellow, green, blue/purple, black, white, grey/silver and brown. Plus a big nr 8 (normal sable for watercolours) for red/orange/red, blue/green, black, white and brown. A eyeliner brush for line work. Then a wisp brush for butterflies, threes and so. A weird one just for all the questions it get and a body brush, so I know I will bring it. I colour code them with a stripe of nail polish near the bristles. Works great!
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:49 pm

cassandra wrote:Shannon - Do you use the three compartments for separate rinsing of white and other colors?

I noticed you have a bar of soap right there too. Do you use it as you work?

I am required to clean and sanitized my brushes after EACH PERSON. I wipe off the excess paint on a wipe or tissue, dip in the first (ridged) compartment, rub on the soap (Ivory BTW) then work it on the ridged in the bottom to get the paint out, then rinse in #2 compartment, then again in #3... then they are dipped and swished in 70% isoproply alcohol (in the white round container) then stood to airdry in the hole around the tub. When they are dry I can use them again.

I change my water as soon as the first compartment starts to turn into coffee water. I dump it into the used sponge bucket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 pm

My brushes are generally transported in a rolled up tea towel.

As for coffee water, I have one cup for rinsing, then I wipe the brush on a baby wipe to make sure all the paint is out of it, then I have another cup that is just for taking water to my paints. The second cup generally stays VERY clear through my gigs and no one ever feels that the "dirty" water is going on their face. When my rinse cup starts to look too bad, my second cup becomes my rinse cup and I get a new cup for water to take to the paints. I've done this for a little while now and it's working for me pretty well.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:29 am

Why not just use a spray bottle with water for activating the paints? Then it will never be mixed up with the rinse water. I have a bowl for rinsing that stands in a drawer with other mixed items. Since it is shorter than the sides of the drawer, the rinse water - and it mixed colours - are harder to see. After I rinse, I wipe the brushes in a black washcloth - here the coloured stripes doesn't look so bad - to take excess paint and water away.
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:56 am

I just got that little grayish brush holder that you see in Shannon's pic. It was only $2 at Micheal's. What a find. It has three seperate water resoviors. I found the holes didn't work so well with all the brushes I wanted to use. But, I am trying to cut down on the brushes I use so it works towards my end.

I use the Art Bin from Dicks to house my brushes. A bit high brow, but works with what i am doing right now.

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:43 pm

It's really helpful to see how other people work. I will eventually find what works for me with the whole brush/water thing by trying it the various ways described above.

It sounds as if those of you who use the roll up type carriers don't have a problem with your bristles drying bent. That was a concern since some of the brushes aren't cheap and I read somewhere that once they get bent, it's hard to get them back into shape.
cassandra

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:41 am

If they get bend, sometimes it helps pouring hot/boiling water over them.

Speaking of: I'm doing an event where I need to bring extra facepainters, and I find that hard. (not to find somebody, but to find somebody good). One of the one I found is still in makeup school, but I have seen her work, and she seem to have talent. She asked if she could come and have airbrush demonstrated - since she will be doing that as well - and just see the designs being painted (there is only three designs). Ended up spending 8 hours! The airbrush did not take long, but really basic stuff - like painting a teatrop i one stroke - they had not learned. But back to the point: the thing that really surprised me was that they had been told that brushes should be dried with the bristles down! So all her brushes was bend more or less out of shape. I'm thinking about asking the school if they want another teacher for facepainting ;-)
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Their makeup school teaches face painting? Or do they use their brushes for other types of applications? I can't believe the bristle side down thing. I thought that was a no-brainer!
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Yes, they have like a week all in all with face- and bodypainting. But the brushes are the same. She asked if it wasn't possible to get brushes that where designed for the purpose - instead of for eyeshadow - not was told that does not exist! But all brushes should be dried that way. I was really surprised about that.
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin on Mon May 04, 2009 6:46 pm

Aww, gorgeous, love the fabric! Clever you.

I have a couple of the stiff black zippered ones- mainly as it acts as a safe carrier AND a brush holder; they will stand inside the paradise case lid and hold the brushes I'm not currently using & I can hide all my lids 'inside' the a-frame shape it makes.

I do have a Snaz gecko sponge holder too; its useful to a point as it keeps the brushes I'm using (for speed/ clean water I have several black brushes, several white - that do diff things, and several for petals, colours, etc) BUT often when I pull a brush out it lifts the whole gecko and all the other brushes fall thru, grrr....

So I'm still looking for the perfect holder! Has anyone got one of those brush holders that are 2 layers of holed flats like a shelf with holes almost? As I think they fold flat?

Cat x
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm

I had the same problem with my gecko. But it is good for holding detailz =)

Cat, what you are looking for sound like what they use in a lab to hold small samples and jars. They can fold flat. Have one, but it has an weird colour... hmm, maybe I can re decorate it.
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Jenny on Tue May 05, 2009 9:45 pm

LoneWolf wrote:If they get bend, sometimes it helps pouring hot/boiling water over them.

......the thing that really surprised me was that they had been told that brushes should be dried with the bristles down! So all her brushes was bend more or less out of shape. I'm thinking about asking the school if they want another teacher for facepainting ;-)

It's true, brushes should be hung upsidedown, with the bristles down to dry. The bristles should hang high in the air and not touch anything. The reason they should be dried this way is so that the water drips down and away from the feral. If the feral stays wet the glue can be affected and the bristles will start to come out in time.

The brushes should never be left in water with the bristles down.....it will cause the heads to bend.

That's all I know, or think that I know.

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Post by Winger1200 on Wed May 06, 2009 4:59 am

I use the ice TUBE maker to keep my brushes in. As you can see in the photo, I marked each row of three with an assigned color so all brushes or daubers are in each colored section and I use them throughout the gig without washing them between faces.
If a brush gets "gunked up" with paint, I merely wipe the excess off on a piece of paper towel. I always have a stack of super soft & absorbant Viva paper towels (cut in quarters) handy when I paint to absorb extra water, test for color, etc.

Susan
Fantasy Faces For You!
www.SusanLeeBillings.com
Winger1200

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2008-11-15

http://www.SusanLeeBillings,com

Back to top Go down

Post by Winger1200 on Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 am

PS: I keep the brushes in the tube holder that goes into a similar shaped tall box at the bottom of my tote bag. That protects my brushes because on top of the brush box is my basket, with my paint pallet, mirrors, placemat and photo posters on each side of it.
I clean my brushes when I get home and lay them flat or at an angle on a towel with bristles lowest to dry. Everything I need for a gig goes into my tote!
Susan
Winger1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Wed May 06, 2009 8:42 am

Could someone post an internet link for purchasing that nifty ice cube tray. I have searched mysef, including Wal Mart online with no luck. Seem like people are really interested in it. Thanks!

Shipping from $3.99
Metina
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Winger1200 on Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 am

I just found it at my walmart and I had to get an associate to show me where it was. On lowest shelf tucked away - eech! Ya gotta ask for that little goodie.
Im sure it will show up on more store shelves with the warm weather. Those ice tubes fit into water & juice bottles, too.
Cheers,
Susan
Winger1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 am

I found some, but they look more like a tray that is the different shape. Did you get it this year?

Shipping from $3.99
Metina
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top