Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Reviving dead paint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reviving dead paint

Post by By These Hands on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:22 pm

I was going through some of my older paints and I came acros a cake that was missing the lid. Needless to say,the paint has since dried out. Is there any way to bring this cake back to life or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned and purchase a new one? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
By These Hands

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Reviving dead paint

Post by Beans on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:00 am

Bin it! I had a small refill sized kryolan aquacolor pink that dried up in my mini kit a number of years ago (it wasn't that old then) and I was never able to fully revive it.

Lesson learned and treat yourself to a new one to celebrate the importance of life lessons!
Beans

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-09

http://www.madeupbyleona.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 am

Glycerin will revive your old paint. It's already in your paint, so it won't harm them. I just add 2-3 drops into my spray water. Don't add it to the paints or you'll end up with a gloppy mess. I have a snaz kit that only comes out for when I have a church/volunteer event. It looks like the desert, but works fine once I add the glycerin to the water.
You can buy glycerin in the bandage section of the store or in the cake making section.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 am

I've revived dried up cakes by putting a drop or two of glycerin on the cake, letting it sit uncovered for a day or so, then try it out. It may or may not work... but it is worth a try. Glycerin is cheap and easy to find at the drugstore.

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:34 am

"Easy to find" is yes and no. It's available in most stores but it is usually hard to spot in the store. LOL! It might be in the skin protectant section (like lotions) or first aid, or by stuff like rubbing alcohol and epsom salt. I think most of the time they don't know where to put it!
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruth on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 pm

So I got new paint that came in all dry and craked can I do the same and is it necessary or can I use like that?
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Try it out, cracking does NOT mean that the product is in anyway not useable. Just that it has been subject to temperature changes or has been drying out. And if it doesn't work then you can try the glycerin trick.

And ... I go straight to the pharmacist to ask where the glycerin is. No point in wandering around. It isn't something that gets a display so is usually not obvious.

Glycerin is an ingredient in pretty much every face paint product we use so it is perfectly safe to add to any cake brand.

Back to top Go down

Post by By These Hands on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks ladies. I'm going to try to pick some up this weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

By These Hands

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:22 am

I am a bit confused. By these hands, can you please tell me what kind of paints you are talking about? I let my paints dry out all the time and I just spray them with water to activate them when using. Are we talking about two different things? scratch
zeebee

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 am

Most Face paints are water activated, meaning you use water to work with them and of course the water will dry out. Unless you work with grease paints.
The topic , is refering to "old" paints, the ones that you forgot you had them, probably the chalky snazaroo you started with.. (Applies to me)

Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Face paints and any other water activated cosmetic can dry out to the point of not being able to absorb water ... this would be really REALLY old stock, something you forgot you had or had been sitting on a retailer's shelf for years...

They just need to be re-moistened with the glycerin to reactivate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 pm

I never knew you could find glycerin in the drug section... I always just go to the cake section and get the stuff Wilton makes. I decorate cakes a lot on the side as well, so it's really no big deal for me, but if it's cheaper in the drug section without the Wilton label, I might be able to save some money!
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah, it is used as a skin moisturizer... it also comes in "Rose Water & Glycerin"... which could work if you can't find pure glycerin.

I got mine at a drug store - was the store brand, 250ml bottle.

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:38 pm

oh! okay thanks
zeebee

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruth on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 am

Great tips guys, thanks

@Punky I do cakes too! sooo much harder though huh lol
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Ruth wrote:@Punky I do cakes too! sooo much harder though huh lol

Haha, Ikr? I've been having trouble with one step roses with face paint, but omg, it took me YEARS to perfect the icing roses! Not to mention the other nail flowers, lol. And don't even get me started on how long it took me to learn fondant, lol.
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top