Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

what is expected time on "generic" art?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what is expected time on "generic" art?

Post by Terina on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Okay I need to give a quote for an event with lots of kids. So, generic quick art is good at this venue. What is the average speed that most people paint regular generic art like you know hearts, bugs, and stencil art at? I am thinking the quickest you could be really is about 2 or 3 minutes per child. Of course I just did purchase stencils but I think I am going to be quicker at hand painting myself. I don't think I can be faster than 2/3 minutes and make it be a great experience. what formulas do you use to calculate your speed for quick art to determine the number of kids that you can actually paint in an hour? Need help asap...thanks!
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what is expected time on "generic" art?

Post by pjhamel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Well, if you use stencils or even sponges that are popular shapes, it should cut the time down to about a minute and a half to two minutes per person (that is providing that you don't go overboard on the details). Without stencils, I think that three minutes is a good time.
If you really want to know, time yourself. Paint on your own arm (or child if you have one) with a stopwatch at hand and see how quickly you can produce the basic designs with some extra details. I believe that with some practice, you could manage to get most designs down to at least two minutes.
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 pm

The only way I figure it out is by painting at a big event with a long line up of for example 4 hours keeping track of the number of faces and dividing it by the number of hours. Then you have the slow movers, those that take extra seconds getting in and out of the chairs, those that take a little longer to say what they want, the times you have to pick up stuff knocked off by kids or parents, time washing brushes, reaching for more sponges, the chatterers, the time you spend cleaning or sanitizing your hands - (guidelines for some things vary in different parts of the world). Maybe you'll even get a potty break. It all works in to the time it takes to paint X number of faces. I bring different boards to different events depending on the size of the crowd and I don't paint many PPF so I usually don't have to collect cash. I always have a few unique requests and I happily take them as a challenge.
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:51 pm

I made a lot of splits.

I'd use them as much as possible if you have any.

You could use a fairy stencil... make a quick set of wings with the split cakes, add a few stars and dots and you have a quick fairy. I did this a few minutes ago... it took 3 minutes - tops.

for girls, use splits in conjunction with stencils - dolphins, animals, etc... and make a rainbow or color sweeps... then add a star or two... details if you have time.

boys...stencils - skulls... or snakes... hmmmmm... anything that you can use a split with... cars... etc.
use a flame split to a stenciled car/etc.. detail if necessary

use splits - greens, camo, blues, etc splits that you might have for a quick dragon...

I looked at hobby lobby yesterday but couldn't find any stencils that I liked. I plan on buying some and incorporating them with other things.

Also, what about a quick smattering of hearts and swirls for girls?

You can look at my gallery for a couple of cute peace signs. I used a round pouncer, outlined it... you could use pouncers and a split to make girls necklaces, bracelets, or a tiara... add a few swirls.

Splits are my friend!! *L*

I made an egg stencil to use at Easter... I think I'm going to make a few more simple ones to use when speed is necessary.

Good luck!

dashing out to cub scouts
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Kathy...I looked at your Website yesterday it is great! Yes my word I have about 30 rainbows and splits LOL! Ok, stencils are super easy with minimal outline. I actually like them pretty well. I am totally into starbursts and swirls.
I do offer a half face design that I call my heart fantasy that is super quick, but all hand painted, it takes about 2 to 3 minutes. I have something I call peace sign princess I guess I could cut that way down...I am just not great at toning it down. I want to elaborate and flourish and swirl all over the place LOL! But the stencils are fabulous! I just have to not want to over paint. That is why I like the full faces it is just easier for me! LOL! I know it should be the other way around huh?

I bought a set of pink stencils. They are cute. I mean it really takes no time so I should be able to really crank these out. Thanks for the suggestions!
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm

At events, the variable you can't plan for is the kid/family, no matter how fast I can apply paint to skin, the unknown variable is how long will it take them to tell you (and agree within themselves) what picture/design, what color(s), where on their body/face. And even when the child has decided, the parent overriding it argument takes up even more time. At a recent event I was part of a team of two painters (plus line manager) and we were able to get through close to a thousand in I think a little under 8 hours - the longest part was the choice/argument (and get the coat off, child settled, "I want a skull", "no, you are *not* getting a skull", "I want green, but not that green, more blue green", "but I want a blue dog mummy, I don't care if you say dogs aren't blue!").

If you quote based on how long it takes you to actually paint designs, you will be popular with the event organizer but.... I've gotten into discussions with people booking me about realistically how much can be done per hour (with the caveat that the variable is with the child/parent). I normally say that I can paint 100 an hour, but if they don't know what they want or need to discuss it in my chair (or aren't fast to refill the chair with a child), it drops to under 50 an hour. I've had them standing watching and they can totally see I can paint far faster than 100 an hour, but that their group might be worse than "quoted" and I might be only getting through 40 an hour. If the same kids are coming back again and again for another design, the speed picks up quickly - they know what to do and jump in and out of the chair like it is on fire.

Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Kathy, a pouncer peace sign is a great idea, especially with a rainbow neon cake. Now I am going to have to go get me some pouncers.
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 pm

I have always used sponges to do my peace signs. is the pouncer much different...is it easier?
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Noella...you hit my thoughts exactly. I am not sure how to compare that because I get compliments all the time on how fast that I am ...that said, I can probably paint a tiger in the same time as it would take for most other things. I paint tigers probably more than anything, so I am faster at those...LOL! Anyway, there are so many factors that play into how many kids that I feel like I can paint. I was wondering if there was some type of way to calculate an average if you will and what is normal for the generic "regular" kind of face paint.

I do have signs that say the line will move faster if you have your design selected before your turn and for parents to help kids up and down and so on. But, that is not always the case. Most of the time it is just like what you said, the kids are not allowed to get what they want or...they take pictures on the chair while people are waiting. I have to ask them to move. I tend to over sanitize my brushes....I get a talkative kid or a wiggly one. : )

I don't really feel like I could say I could paint 100 kids an hour. But, I have never really counted my lines, I have to reuse my face paint chips and have used them really at this point to make sure I have collected rather than to count faces. But, I don't usually do much cheek art either. Neon peace signs, sponge bob,butterflies, spider man,and unicorns are the best selling cheek arts that I currently have. In fact...I find that I mostly do half face and full face designs. So, it is difficult for me and I want to be honest with what I am going to provide for simple things. I mean stencils are SUPER FAST. But hand painting, I timed myself and can do a heart with tear drops, star-bursts, and a few swirls, glitter, and minimal line work in under 10 seconds. But that is not the time it takes for the child to say what they want and sit still and stop chewing gum and pick a color...you know the routine.LOL!

I do a lot of mini cakes for my flowers and simple butterflies those are fast. I just am not sure how to calculate....am I safe at just averaging 2 minutes per child to figure in all of those other factors?
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:14 pm

I have two-displays and two speeds. One is regular full-face 5-7 minute designs, the other is my "Fast Faces" which are all 4 minutes or less. My fastest are under a minute, but average 2 minutes.

No stencils, no daubers but I do use some splits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:48 pm

I think you would be completely safe telling them that it will take at least 2-3 minutes per child unless they want you lining them up and running down the line with with a brush in hand. You want it to be a PLEASANT experience for the kids and if they need it faster, then they need to hire another painter.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:18 am

I agree on the 2-3 minutes totally - and with the more painters = more speed. The only reason I can do a hundred an hour is with airbrush - assuming all is working smoothly, and if everyone is prepped with knowing what they want.

We use a "clicker" to count at events regularly to check the number per hour. The best we've ever done for speed was at the end of one event where we told the kids (who were all wanting their second or third design at least at this point), last 6 minutes, black only, have your design number ready. And we did over 25 - probably closer to 50 - in 6 minutes (pulling the stencil from over 100 diff ones, spraying it, putting it back, getting the next child/stencil etc). It was insane - but not something I could ever imagine keeping up for more than a few minutes at a time. The kids were grouping themselves with all the ones who wanted the same design so we were literally spraying 5 of the same picture on 5 diff arms put forward at the same time.
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

Ok, when I finally gave them my quote I said 2 to 3 minutes per child for the simple type of art. And I did suggest that they allow me to bring another painter for the number. And I think it will average out just right for the number of children and the length of the event. And I do want it to be pleasant. It isn't pleasant for me if I am pushing kids through and processing them so to speak LOL.

Perry it is so funny cause I told my husband the same thing about running through the line with a rainbow brush. Of course he thought that was a good idea! He likes to joke... I told him he had to run behind me with the glitter then Very Happy
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 am

And Shannon thanks for the tip about the other display board. I had thought about doing that, instead of taking my usual boards and saying "sorry we aren't offering that today" I will get to work on that ASAP.
Terina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top