Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What to Bring to 2011 FABAIC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What to Bring to 2011 FABAIC

Post by KathyO on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 pm

I thought this might be a good thread to do since FABAIC is just around the corner and we have some new people coming.

Here is my list and those of you that have gone before please add onto this thread to help everyone else

Bring your own face towel and wash cloth - if you stain the hotels bath, face or wash towels the person who reserved the room with their credit card will be charged for them Sad

Do not face paint on the beds - if you stain the sheets, or any of the bedding the person who reserved the room with their credit card will be charged for them Sad

Bring an old towel that you don't care about and when you return home leave it behind - gives you more room in your suitcase for the more important things like all the stuff you buy in the vendor room. Very Happy

Bring your camera and batteries

If you are sharing a room with lots of other people have someone e bring an multiple outlet (can think of the word - see what happens when you are post-menopausal) - trust me you are going to run out of outlets.

Each room has a very small refrigerator but it doesn't keep things really cold - bring a large plastic bag to put ice in and place that in the refrigerator. And when you return home you can place all your face painting stuff in it Very Happy

You will be provided with a notebook - leave yours at home.

If you are rooming with more than 1 other person - request that they bring in more towels

Remember to tip your maid each day

You will notice that there will be a bottle of isotope alcohol in the bathroom. That is use to clean the bath tub when all the face paints wash off those that want to get their bodies painted.

If you do get your body painted - please request from the help desk an old shower curtain.

The help desk has the most awesome warm cookies - and you can ask for them each day - YUM

For those of you that are rooming with multiple people - they will only put the full charge of the room on one credit card - they will not and I will repeat - they will not divide the cost of the room and place them on multiple cards. You can pay for your share with cash and they will deduct that from the total bill. Learned this the hard way 2 years ago.

If you have a practice pad or head bring it.

They will provide cups and water. They won't provide baby wipes but you can buy them at the Walgreens down the street.

If you decide not to stay at the hotel - please have a designated driver - you don't want to be walking back to the other hotels in the dark.

Bring address labels so that you don't have to keep writing your information when you charge things.

Bring something to keep your receipts in as you can deduct these from your taxes - I think food you can deduct 50% but don't quote me on that.
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: What to Bring to 2011 FABAIC

Post by KathyO on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:42 pm

Forgot to add - if you are not competing then bring a small face painting palette. You are going to be very tired carrying all your supplies - so keep it simple. You will get a bag to put your stuff in plus lots of other goodies.
KathyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Heffner on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:32 am

Remember that step by step photos during the classes are usually a big no-no.

Treat the instructors like human beings (instead of arty demi-gods on high). They like that Smile

Bring a large zippy bag to put your receipts in (instead of shoving them into a crumply ball in the bottom of your purse).

~Heff
Michelle Heffner

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-09-05

http://brightandshining.com/face_painting_blog

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:43 am

Heff will you be there this year....and will you be wearing the infamous shoes we've heard about...lolol
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:16 am

I'm unsure if I'm nervous or excited...the butterflies feel much the same!!!
These are awesome tips!!!!! Going to have to start my list soon!
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 am

Have stuff in your room to nosh on to cut down on food cost. I know when we went I kept lunchables milk, cereal, fruit juice, fruit, my daughter's favorie snack bars etc. The mini fridge's aren't extremely cold, but cold enough to keep things from spoiling.

Can't stress enough don't bring too much in the way of paints and extras.
Expect to feel sleep deprived
Pack comfy clothes that will allow you to paint on yourself or be painted by someone else tanks, cami's, low back halters, shorts, skirts. preferrably darker colors in case of paint stains.

Don't bing things you can easily get while there, wipes, q-tips, batteries etc...no sense in added extra weight to your baggage if you don't have to.

Especially for 1st timers make sure you have a large enough memory card in your camera for allllllllllllllll the photos and video, or if you have a mini netbook bring that to download your pics so you won't have to erase any to be able to take more.

I typically carry around a 2GB but I was able to pick up a 4GB several months ago on sale for awesome price of $15.99 at CVS (usually around $38.99)....no way I'll max that out.

You don't need to bring every split you ever made...lol just a couple of your favs and you'll be good

I have been able to consolidate my (at home practice/on the go travel) kit into 1 laptop case that has a basic colors palette, my splits palette,my metallics/neon palette and my skintone palette, and a powder palette.

Bring a couple of your go to brushes.....especially if you plan to buy any.

I must agree with who said make a realistic list of what you would like to buy in the vendors room and stick to it!!!!!! You can lose your mind in that place and your wallet...lolol If you stick to your list then you won't over spend.....at least in theory

ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:33 pm

We're bringing a low setting small crockpot, a hot plate and a cooler of food. The in room coffee pot makes hot water for those noodle cups. Wink

A power strip, Kathy. Wink And that's a good tip! For all the reasons you listed but also because you just have to flip the off switch instead of unplugging everything.

I also bring my own pillow/pillowcase. I don't know how many times I've been tired, thought I took off all of my face paint only to find I missed something at my hair line or where ever. This way, I don't have to worry about it! (plus, hotel pillows are too plushy for me lol)

A table top mirror if you plan on painting yourself at any point.

A water bottle, a big one lol. I got sooooo thirsty and needed to find drinks at the last con I was at but couldn't find one and it suuuuuuuucked. My mouth felt like the Sahara.

I bring my own notebook but that's because it's a sketchbook/notebook combined which is easier when I am trying to take class notes.

And the all important, business cards for networking Smile

Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Michelle Heffner wrote:Treat the instructors like human beings (instead of arty demi-gods on high). They like that Smile
~Heff

But Heff, after seeing your back painting you ARE an arty demi-god Very Happy
JK!

If you're body painting, bring your own shower curtain(or buy one at the dollar store around the corner).

Bring you camera, card, charger(I took all pics on my phone since my camera didn't work last year).

Don't forget something to wear for the Gala. It's a pretty high fashion affair. I was way under-dressed & my budget will probably keep me under dressed again this year...

Relax & have fun. It really is much more easy going than you'd think!

Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:22 pm

I brought a cheapy set of colored pencils and was very glad I did, helped with sketching parts of the demo designs.

Dress to expose your legs, so you won't run out of skin.

It was FREEZING last year, so have a sweater handy. (I felt so bad for the models)

A list of what you need from the vendor room. And an idea of what you're willing to spend on extras. I feel like I did well by only making one buy that totally wasn't as wonderful as the sales pitch was.
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 pm

OK for the GALA question??? I din't go in '09 because I had to leave Sun evening to get back to NJ for a prior family committment. The attire is it (because glalas can go either way)

More fashoinably stylish type evening wear... knee length or slightly above dresses circa Sex in the City...loll

orrrrrrrrrr

more of a gown or floor length skirt going to a after 5 wedding type of deal

I have both just need to figure out which way to go

Maybe I'll just bring both just in case
ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by cc on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:37 am

Oh, good question! I was wondering the same thing....

Btw, love the new avatar, T!
cc

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://www.fabagaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:55 am

They want you to wear your Sundays best. If you want to get fancier you can
KathyO

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 am

Sunday Best??? Got that covered

Good b'cuz I didn't wanna bring the floor length stuff anyway.. then you can't see my banging shoes.......lolol

After all it is all about the shoes. Very Happy

Shoes are the one thing that makes me happier than face paint...lolol

Thx CC
I did take a much better pic not so dark so you can actually see the design...apparently thats not the one I chose. gonna switch it.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Ok...Ok...OK....needing a paper bag!! *reeelllaaaaax!* Every time I read FABAIC I have what feels like a cross between a heart attack and a SQEEE!
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IzzysMom on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Pass that bag this way when you are done....I know that feeling EXACTLY!!!!
IzzysMom

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:57 pm

KathyO wrote:They want you to wear your Sundays best. If you want to get fancier you can

HaHa! I go to a jeans, t-shirt & flip flops kind of church w/ lots of tattoos...

Bring self control... the vendors hall is amazing! Very Happy

I like skirts for day to day. They kept my legs warm(it was very cold in most of the rooms), but I could hike them up to paint my legs.

Comfy shoes

Keep your kit light & in something you can sling. You don't want to be lugging tons of stuff around.

I brought a sketch pad & used it for all notes, drawn or written. I like the color pencil idea as I actually used some face paint in my sketchpad out of desperation.

Last edited by Psalmbook on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by IzzysMom on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Psalmbook wrote:HaHa! I go to a jeans, t-shirt & flip flops kind of church w/ lots of tattoos...

Bring self control... the vendors hall is amazing! Very Happy

Now THAT is MY kind of church!!!
IzzysMom

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:47 pm

OMG!!

what a great list!!!!

remember your cell phone charger!!!

and...if you bring a kit...something with wheels;)

you will end up doing a lot of walking...and, carrying!!

yeah!!!

ttfn

rebecca

www.artybrushstrokes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Now that's a church! lol

I have an awesome "Mae West" gown a friend of mine made for me that I rarely get to wear, so I'm going to wear that and go all out. Smile
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funfacesforu on Mon May 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Last year the hotel split our bill with each of us using credit cards. Check your bill as they added on extra parking for several days on mine.
funfacesforu

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top