Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How many face painters can a festival hold?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How many face painters can a festival hold?

Post by kat on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:31 pm

So, I have a post to write - and others to catch up on ... I know that I SAID that I was going to do that this weekend.....

ahem....

GUESS WHAT?

I got two phone calls - back to back for me to work this weekend! (pick me up off the floor, Thelma!)
Thursday someone called me to work at a festival on Friday, then Saturday morning as I was getting ready to spend the day with my grandmother, another person called me to work at a Rodeo that afternoon/evening.
Then with Sunday (Easter), and Monday with work, and my son on a new dose (he took 45 minutes to brush his teeth that morning... AAAAAAAAARRGHH.... *laugh*) I just haven't had time until now... whew... makes me weary just writing about it... *L*
I don't see how ya'll do it!

Anyway.. I'm sitting here with.. well.. I won't give you the visual... I'll just say that I'm doing laundry while making phone calls to festivals/people/leads...

I will say that you should always look DOWN before answering the door for the mailman dressed as I am now....

don't worry, it wasn't today... and I still blame it on the pain medication.... ~ la ~ la ~ la ~
......and I WAS sitting in a wheelchair... so, really, how much could he have seen, I ask you????

AND, my neighbor gave us a two day old chicken! Pics to come.... I promise to put clothes on first... heh

Oh.. this was supposed to be a QUICK post.. are they ever? ... er...

My question -
I received a call from a local (as the crow flies) festival that has about 8,000 to 10,000 people each year to visit it. I used to make crafts/etc.. anything from the herbs and everlastings that I grew in the garden. I'm no longer doing that.

So....

I told them that I was now face painting. She said that that was great, would I be interested in having a booth with them?
I asked them if they had other face painters.. they said yes. I asked other questions as well. I told her that I did NOT wish to encroach on anyone (another face painter), and that I would get back to her. She said that she was going to send me an application anyway... I've had a booth there for several years... while I think it's lovely that she thought of me, I am in a conundrum about this.

So... (again)
How many face painters can a festival with 8,000 to 10,000 people visiting sustain?

ugh.... it's a GREAT festival... BUT.... I do not wish to step on anyone's toes... yanno?

Thanks,
Kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How many face painters can a festival hold?

Post by Tra on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:35 pm

well if you look at it tis way 8000 people and say you can paint 200 people in a day that means it would take 40 face painters to paint everyone...now i know not everyone is gonna want to get their faces painted but even if a 1/4 do your still gonna be busy unless theres 15 or more face painters....lol

go for it!!!
Tra

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by AmberMarie on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

From what I've experienced, I wouldn't worry! This is what I've found (been painting since 2000 at many, many, fairs/festivals/events):

Up to 1,000 ppl- you better be the only person.
1,000 to 5,000- Its nice if there is only 2
5,000- 20,000- 3 or 4 seems all right
20,000+- Don't worry about who is there. Worry about your line!
250,000+- I've seen about 6-10 booths with this one (free and pay per face). We all end up busy.

I often research as much as I can on foot traffic at a festival. After that, I just worry about my booth. If there is another painter, may the people putting on the festival be smart enough not to put us next to each other. Even small ones, I just see it as an opportunity to network (if I can!).

But, this is all according to what I've found. I'm not an expert, but I try to pay attention. Smile

I say enjoy! Have fun. There is plenty of foot traffic.
AmberMarie

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.ambermariestudios.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks, Tra.

Never having worked festivals (anything, really.. LOL), I'm so new at this the shine hasn't worn off! enough to know the percentage/etc...

AND, I do wish to follow proper face painting etiquette when it comes to fellow artists.

Thanks again!
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:36 pm

AmberMarie, thanks for the great information!

I'm going to go through with it. Maybe between now and then I'll run across the other painter(s)....

It's odd - I know there are face painters in this area... I just can't seem to find them. (google-wise) or online. terina (from here) is just down the road an hour or so away... and there are two more that I've read about.

There should be some face painter's hotline that we should be able to call!
laugh
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I absolutely agree with AmberMarie, except that I would change the number (for us) that 5k and under should only be one- but that's because we have at least two people in each of our booths, and the organizers know this.
I will add that while doing research it doesn't hurt to also ask to see the layout of the event and ask where the nearest other painter will be. I have even asked if I can request a specific section of the event in order to optimize business for all/both of us. I've had a great response to this approach as it means I am being thoughtful of everyone involved.

Good luck!

(and thanks for the idea. I wonder if the rodeo up here would like a face painter- what kind of designs do you do?)

Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:10 am

Great info AmberMarie, thanks for sharing
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am

Gary Cole's general rule of thumb is one painter for every 10,000 people at a festival. But really it just depends on what type of fest it is, what else there is for kids to do, and even what area it's in. As mentioned, make sure to find out exactly how many painters are in the "other booth". There could be one, or there could be three! Makes a big difference. But yeah, go for it and see what happens. Worst case scenario - you don't make as much as you thought you would and you decide not to come back the next year. Still a learning experience!
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:34 pm

My two cents worth is that it really depends on the area. Here...I have two fairs with approx 25000 people, a reasonable well off financial area, I am the only facepainter...I work consistantly, but there is not enough work for 2 of us...I might be able to get by with one more person in the booth, but we would wind up sitting around part of the time. I charge $8/face and there is always a line, but not unmanagable. There is another street fair, maybe 2000 people, and I could use a 2nd painter with me for that one. So, it really depends on the area.
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:33 pm

I saw at the Florida State Fair there were 2 booths, one with a single man, he was located at the entrance and he charged $5, and at the kids area were another booth with two face painters charging $7 and $10, both booths were very busy, the only thing I notice was a complying about that one was better than the other and it was true.
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top