Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Those Bothersome Brushes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Those Bothersome Brushes?

Post by Lynnie on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:47 pm

At paint practice today we borrowed the neighbor boys of one of my painters. He was 5 and so adorable. He wanted to be Darth Vadar which made me smile. Sue (my painter) laid the base of silver with a sponge and all was good. She picked up the brush to start the black work and I heard "Owie, owie, owie."

I checked and all was fine. He didn't like the tickle feel and equated it to hurting even though he said it didn't hurt.

He REFUSED to let a brush near him and she tried to do the full design with sponge and pouncers. Since it was practice, it was no biggie and at the end he liked it but both Sue and I agreed, it was awful. Then I wondered what I would do if this happened in the booth...EEK!!!

Anyone else have this happen? How would/did you handle it?
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Those Bothersome Brushes?

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:08 pm

It's very common for children w/ sensory processing disorders to have unusual reactions to sponge or brush & even the feel of the paint(I'm not diagnosing from a thread.. just saying:-)
To us it may be a little tickle that we forget quickly, but to them it can 'burn" or "scratch", etc. Usually these children don't want to be painted. I'll often try for their arms since they're used to clothes touching them & the skin is more accustomed to stimuli.
My son can't handle the sound of a pencil on paper & we had to get him all ball point pens. He also can only use markers. The sound of crayons on paper drives him nuts. Just imagine every sense hyper enhanced... it'd be like walking around all day w/ people scratching on a chalk board... He hates the feel of paint.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Linda, I was a special ed teacher for a class of high functioning autistics for a few years with the goal of matriculating them (until the program funding was cut from the school Sad ). I totally get what you're saying, and I agree, normally parents of such "tender" children do not even entertain the idea of getting them painted.

This particular boy does not have any such reasons. In fact, he was wrestling his brother in the mud and grass when I showed up. He literally said that it tickled and didn't hurt but he didn't want the brush because he didn't like it, use the sponge.

What I am asking, is how would you have used the sponge to get a similar effect? Or would you simply have not painted him at all (since there was NO coaxing him to allow the brush)?

Thanks! Smile
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Edge of the sponge? Like the corner to make a line?
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top