Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Saks 5th Ave, looong

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Saks 5th Ave, looong

Post by Just Jenny on Mon May 11, 2009 12:24 am

Wow, I got to paint at Saks this weekend. I have to tell you I was nervous. I did everything to make sure that I was well prepared and on time.....Yea, so much for planning ahead.

Saks..new sponges, no stains. Brushes...in brush holder. Paints new full cakes. Water, I packed 3 new bottles...just in case. Ok, I'm packed and ready I take a shower and I'm ready to leave 2 hours before I have to be there. The drive should be about 45 minutes, I should have time to sit back and relax over a cup of coffee when I get there. I want to 'fit in' to this high class mall, and feel like I belong....I want to be relaxed. Ok, keys in hand and out the door I go....wait I didn't pack any wipes, crap. I go back to grab a new pack but I can't find the wipes container....how could that be gone? It's a big clear plastic container and there are at least 6 packages of wipes in there. Well, I'll just spray a square wipe if I need to wipe a mistake....I go to the door, but wait where are my keys? Remember they were in my hand, I go back through the house...no keys. I start to panic...back out the door, maybe I put them on top of my things...and so on and so on the search went. I figured I must have dropped them in a box somewhere while I frantically searched for the wipes. By this time I am near tears, heart pounding, not seeing any way that this will ever work now. I call my son, he has keys but he's about 90 min away and he's not home and has to go back to his house to get my keys. He starts trying to calm me down telling me he's on his way, and he'll drive me to the job so that I will save the parking time, a wave of calm comes over me even though I'll still be late (or just arriving at start time) Then I see the keys...on the floor right by the door.

I got to the gig in plenty of time, didn't get that cup of coffee, but the job went well...or did it?
Seems that Saks put up pictures that the kids from a local school made for Mothers Day. Then on Saturday the parents came by the store and viewed the pictures, picked up goodie bags from Saks, and the kids got some entertainment from face paintings and Balloon art, while the parents shopped. I got a lot of great comments about the faces, and the art teachers pointed out to the students things like color choices and then I was complemented by the teachers for using 'really good brushes' which they then explained to the students. The point, the full barrel, the spring in the bristles. Huh?? Thank goodness I had 'good brushes', I love my Windsor Newton pointed rounds. OMG, by this time I realized that this was an art school that was attending, and so I just pretended to know what I was doing. I thought about every person I had ever taken a class from and was grateful that I had learned so much from them. The client said that they really liked my work, the way I interacted with the children and that they would be asking for me for other events, Promising that I would be very busy because they do a lot of other things through out the year. While I really would enjoy working their events, I don't think I'll hold my breath. I did have a great time, I was treated very well, and that is the end.

Thanks for reading about my gig that went all wrong and all right at the same time!

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Re: Saks 5th Ave, looong

Post by AngieAnders on Mon May 11, 2009 1:37 am

Ah, sounds stressful and then exhilarating! Laughing I'm glad it all turned out well, and that they loved your work! Way to go!
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill on Mon May 11, 2009 5:52 am

cheers
Glad it worked out well in the end. It's really nice when things go right.

I sat outside my house one day trying to find my keys which may have been in the house. ended up they were in my pocket. Stupid or what???
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Mon May 11, 2009 8:14 am

Sounds like a great turn out in the end! Good job!!
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Metzpah on Mon May 11, 2009 1:04 pm

happy things turned out well, hope you do get more work with them!
Metzpah

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2008-09-26

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metzpah/sets/72157608680393072/

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons on Mon May 11, 2009 1:13 pm

So happy it turned out so well! I'd be nervous too working at a Saks...much less having art students there looking over my work in detail! Very Happy
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Jenny on Mon May 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Thank goodness I was leaving 'early'. As for the keys, I've had mine in my hand while having friends help me look for them so I do understand losing them in your pocket.

I didn't mind the 'little' art students enjoying the face painting, they were lots of fun, it was the adults and art teachers who really made me think.

The best part is that I feel great about having done the job now, and I'm thrilled that I have all of you to share my story with, and get responses from.

Thanks you guys are the best.

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top