Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

ArtyBrush help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ArtyBrush help

Post by Sparklyone on Mon May 23, 2011 5:20 am

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my ArtyBrush strokes are never crisp and clean like I see elsewhere. I watched Pam Trent do an ArtyBrush butterfly with gorgeous feathery edges. My attempts at that have been pathetic. I am using a 3/4 flat brush (green painted handle kind), loading the brush well (maybe too well?) and just wet enough that the bristles don't flake apart. Any help or tips would be SO appreciated! I have so many ArtyBrush cakes and want to be able to do fast pretty crowns for my princesses! I love you

Last edited by Sparklyone on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Re: ArtyBrush help

Post by Beans on Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 am

I hear ya!!! I'm a lefty too and have the same problem! For me my brush is always too wet so I end up with ABC puddle cake! THEN its too dry and I can never get the balance just right.
SO, what I do is I wet my brush really well and then I wipe just one side on the side of the bucket when I bring it up out of the water. then I load and if my brush is still a little dry when picking up the paint I then dip just the tip in the water and keep loading. I find that the ABC are too short and prefer the TAG splits. The extra length is handy especially for combating the puddle problems and gives you the extra room to really load the brush. The brush must be LOADED with paint.
Another thing that I've found with the ABC is that they are made of differnt brands of colour and I think this affects the products consistency. I recall a tute by heather banks that put forward the issue of how much water some brands require for activation compared to others.
As for the lefty technique - practise makes perfect! I've just had to (and I apologise for this sounding vague) work it out. There are some TAG tutes that I find handy as the designs are simple yet effective for starting out. look for tagbodyart on youtube. Hope that helps!
Beans

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-09

http://www.madeupbyleona.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic on Mon May 23, 2011 7:38 am

I got some really helpful tips from a video put out by the people who make TAG. They say that to re-wet and re-load your brush, only dip the very tip in as Beans suggested. And, if your bristles start to separate but there is still lots of paint in them, to spray the ferrule with water and it will run down into the bristles. These two tips have helped me the most. I'm still not that great with them and have been practicing like mad... I keep hoping that some day it will just "click".
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Mon May 23, 2011 7:43 pm

I feel like I JUST got the hang of this. Load, load, load, load! It uses us way too much paint, but found I only got those clean lines when I really loaded with creamy, not wet paint. Load, let the brush dry just a bit, spray paint and then load again. This helps. I figured this out, when I kept using the same brush per cake at a party. DING! She can't possibly rinse those brushes out each time she reloads. Well--maybe she does, but it is a total waste of paint.

Not a debate!!! Just telling you what I found get better strokes.

Best of luck!

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Thu May 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Thank you so much, I appreciate the tips and support! Great reason to try some of the pretty TAG cakes, too! Very Happy

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Metina wrote:I feel like I JUST got the hang of this. Load, load, load, load! It uses us way too much paint, but found I only got those clean lines when I really loaded with creamy, not wet paint. Load, let the brush dry just a bit, spray paint and then load again. This helps. I figured this out, when I kept using the same brush per cake at a party. DING! She can't possibly rinse those brushes out each time she reloads. Well--maybe she does, but it is a total waste of paint.

Not a debate!!! Just telling you what I found get better strokes.

Best of luck!

-Metina

HeeHee! Metina... we're in the US, so we're ok w/ this technique Wink
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Thu May 26, 2011 9:30 pm

I totally agree Metina
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Rebecca doesn't rinse her brushes, if I remember right from her classes I took.

Part of the problem I have is that I HAVE to use clean brushes so loading them up properly to use them on a gig means that I take too long and waste too much...

I do use them, but not as often as a lot of other people. Mostly I use them with sponges as I find it a bit easier to get enough loaded to apply it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum