Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Tent Weights?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tent Weights?

Post by IamGinaW on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Is it short for Richard?
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Yup, short for Richard Very Happy
Thanks for all the info!
The 1st time I set up a tent I about killed myself w/ my hubby's weights. I went a little overkill Very Happy
I'm going to really be rethinking the whole thing. My EZ-Up is the top of the line one.
But, I was downtown between a bunch of tall buildings & I think we were hit by a micro-burst of wind from a major storm(we went from 99 degrees to 72 degrees in 10 minutes). I really think I was weighted enough & it was just a very bad storm. It took out trees in other areas of my town.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by FlashM on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm

If you decide to put slits (vents) in your tent fabric, there is a product called "Fray Check" you can buy at sewing stores that will keep the raw edges from fraying.

Another idea- check out the vinyl-coated lead weights they use in drapery hemming- also found at craft/fabric shops.
FlashM

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Lynnie wrote:I've had one of my EZ-Up for 5 years. Addressing whomever it was that said she heard they are the worst...if you get the garden ones, they are horrible. However, they have commercial grade and this thing has been through downpours, high winds, thunder/hail storms, everything.

That was me. I've been searching review online like mad and the commercial EZ ups had terrible reviews on many sites. The terrible reviews were somewhat consistent, so that's where my info comes from. It's good to hear you've a good experience with them first-hand. I have been having trouble finding a decent vented one, though that seems to make the most sense as far as weather goes. I'd like to just settle for the EZ Up since it's the most accessible version, looks fine, and I'd like to stop searching for my perfect-unicorn-of-a-tent, lol.

The liability aspect does scare me a bit, especially in a freak situation like Linda experienced. If my canopy or canopy weights conked someone in the head....oy!
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 pm

I've been keeping an eye on Art Fair Insiders and it seems they have the same tent issues, of course. This thread looked liked a really good resource for dealing with different methods of weight tents down:
Sorry for the long link!:
http://www.artfairinsiders.com/profiles/blogs/properly-weighting-or-tying-down-a-tent?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+artfairinsiders+%28ArtFairInsiders.com+Blog%29
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:32 am

I have an EZ up. I've only used it at one event though because my old First-Up finally met it's match.

The First-Up served my mother and I for over 5 years and had survived through a tornado. But this past fall when I was living in Michigan and mom was on her own for our usual gigs. She had trouble securing the tent the way I always did and a really bad storm came up and destroyed the tent.

They way I always secured it was with heavy duty spiral dog stakes and ratchet strapsratchet straps that I tightend down so tight that you couls strum them. THis was so secure that when the tent was lowered over night, it survived a tornado that touched down a mile away from the park the festival was held in. Most of the other vendors' tents were trashed, but ours was fine, and since we had sides on the tent, even all the contents of my booth were safe too.

When setting up in a city or in an area where stakes can't be used we use the largest size of Tidy Cat kitty litter containters that we filled with cement. The handles on the containers make them easy to carry and the ratches straps secure easily to the handles and wrap around the legs. Hope this helps!
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top