Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Help! Getting discouraged!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help! Getting discouraged!

Post by tigernette on Sun May 29, 2011 11:47 am

Help! I have been "officially" face painting professionally for 7 months now. I have done several fairs and birthday parties and a few "freebies" to get my name out there (my son's preschool Easter Egg Hunt and my own church picnic). I don't really do cheek art, as I prefer to make it more of a half or whole face design (still fairly quick, though) I get really great responses for my work, but am having trouble getting many gigs and wonder how anyone makes this their career. Please help! I am nearly ready to throw in the towel, but have to use all these supplies somehow. I live in a small town in AL with a large university nearby, but the university doesn't allow vendors on campus without paying a HUGE fee that would certainly put me in the red financially, even on a busy day. Our area has about 6 fairs per year. The fairs that I have done have profited maybe $80-$100 for a 4-6 hour day, after booth fees, etc... I know I'm charging too little for b'day parties ($75), but if I go up on that, I may not have any business at all. I only know of 1 other face painter in town and he mainly twists balloons and only paints as an add on to his parties, so competition isn't the problem. The sad thing is that I have come to LOVE this business and am constantly searching for new ideas, etc... I don't want to quit, but am wondering how I can make it worth it. Any ideas??

tigernette

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Help! Getting discouraged!

Post by FUNFACTORY on Sun May 29, 2011 12:51 pm

First off call the balloon twister and see if he is willing to give you advice. I was hesitant but did that with a clown in my area and he was very helpful , and with in a week he was calling me to help with a big party! he was glad to tell me his prices so we are in the same ball park. so your balloon twister may be getting lot of call for face painting that he could be sending some your way.I am only a few months in and recently lost some income so I have been more motivated to fill my calender -resturants w/ kids nights-i did a ppf at a demo derby last night -calling and e-mailing all the festivals all around my area-I put gift baskets in an action for a school fundraiser .
do a free web site- facebook - and so on. hope this helps and good luck!!
FUNFACTORY

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://WWW.FUNFACTORYFACEPAINTING.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by JENDZS on Sun May 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Tigernette,
one of the best things that helped me was a website. Now I know I am blessed in that my husband is already in the entertainment business (a magician, full-time), but the website really made my business jump by leaps and bounds. We also are listed with GigMaster (I admit, I am not really sure how that all works) and that has given me some work also. Do you have a website? Do you know anyone who can do one for you?
JENDZS

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-11-15

http://www.facepaintingbyjen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Advertise on Kijiji, hand out business cards everywhere to everyone, find out if there are lists of entertainers kept by local groups (in my town the main park pavilion keeps a list of local entertainers, and the local live theatre also keeps a list as people call to ask them). If you can get some postcard and mail them to specific business or groups you'd like to work for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tra on Sun May 29, 2011 1:33 pm

try summer camps, churches, businesses (grand openings or special events) car shows, family resturants, boys n girls club, ymca, contact your local Chamber of Commerce...hope this helps
Tra

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Mon May 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Honestly, it takes years to build a good business. Jobs come from advertisement and reputation. Just keep plugging at it. But anyone who thinks they can make a living or a healthy income with face painting in under two years......... I think that is just not a reality. I would contact your chamber or Univ campus for a list of the sororities and frats - they do and can hire for in house events and charity functions they do. And def you must network with any one in the entertainment field in your area - think beyond the twister.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Mon May 30, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm going on 3 years now and it is just starting to finally have me booked every weekend in the spring summer and about half the weekends in the colder weather... it's still not "a living" ... it just helps pay the extras. Put together a website, kijiji is free, you can think about google adwords but set your daily budget low. Get yourself into all of those festivals and make sure that you are charging no less than $5 for small designs or you won't make anything at all.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by tigernette on Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement! Now I have some new avenues to pursue. I have talked with the owner of the local inflatables rentals here and he did mention helping each other out with referrals, etc... And I'm positive that I am undercharging. I have only been charging $3 per face and have had very long lines at events. Since reading all the great tips on this forum, I have decided to go up to $5- most my designs are half faces. It's strange, but some of the events that I have been at have some attractions at no charge and some as vendors, charging each person and the folks attending the event get put out when it's not all free. Should I just not do those events?

tigernette

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Tue May 31, 2011 7:27 am

you can be there... always charge and if they don't want it, they don't have to get it. You don't need to be offended by cheap people.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum