Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What do I NEED??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do I NEED??

Post by MonsterKat on Tue May 31, 2011 2:34 pm

Hello all!!
I'm new here and I'm looking to buy my first set of 'real' facepaints so I can work on getting better and hopfully help out my kids school during fundraisers and maybe do some birthday parties for my own 4 kids and friend's kids.
What I want to know is...what are the basics that I need to do a basic, but quality job? I'm talking cheek art and masks at most, I don't have ALOT of $$ to start but I'm willing to buy what I need to do good work. Already after looking at the shop on this forum and other websites I've seen SO many things I WANT but not sure what are the necessities.
Should I buy a basic palette to start? where is the most cost effective place to buy my paints?
Any answers would be appreciated!! Thanks Smile
MonsterKat

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: What do I NEED??

Post by cattsy on Tue May 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi!

Funny I was asking your same questions not that long ago :p and this weekend I have my first paying gig! whoot!

I started off with two of the snaz pallettes you can buy at Michaels, a boys one, that had the primary colors and a princess pallette that had some metallics and pastels.

They were under $15 each and have lasted me quite a long time, though I must say Snaz isn't my favorite.

My next bigger purchase was paradise palettes. I bought the essentials and the pastel and I LOVE them. way easier to work with than the Snaz ones for sponging. Some people don't like the smell of them, they smell kinda coconutty. Metina sells the Paradise palettes in the forum shop I think. THey run about $25 each

I've also bought a few brushes, a couple of expensive ones (which I ended up hating) a cheap pack of I think five with cool handles, and another pack of like 20 assorted ones in different sizes and bristle types. I think I spent $20 total on brushes.

I also bought a bunch of round craft sponges from the dollar store.

That's it Smile THat's given me enough to at least get the basics down.

My next purchase with be some DFX to try, I want the neon/metallic pallette and I'm going to order a white and black as well.

My plan is as I use up colours I'll replace them with bigger ones. I do like Paradise and how it handles, but looking forward to trying the DFX line too. Not sure if I'll buy much more Snaz...

You can spend a lot of money real quick, so be careful especially if it's just a "hobby" and not something that's going to make itself money, just get a couple of the little paletes to play with, I'm really glad I got the pastel and essentials, very few times have I found myself wishing I had this color or that.

Good luck!

cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Tue May 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Basics basics..... but this is your try out of what do you like better than others - as well as what you will practice with (and of course take on "jobs")

Some paint
- primary 3 colors, white, black
- any color you don't want to have to mix to get
- maybe a metallic (or several)
- definitely small quantity palettes are a great starting point
Be aware of the brand and it's qualities - ie Wolfe or DFX or Tag will give you good workability for small "cheek art" type designs vs Snazaroo or Paradise for larger bases. Eventually you will want to try different brands to find your preferences - keeping the quantities smaller to start with means you have spent less up front per colour in each brand.

Activation/application
- cup/well, spray, dropper - everyone has different preferences - try them out!
- sponge(s) - car wash sponges cut up give you an inexpensive starting point
- brushes - inexpensive to expensive - learn what you like by trying one at a time before investing in many of the same - different brands and different styles of brushes will give you different results

If you go for glitter - start with just the one holographic - you can always add more later, but many just carry that one (or for some of us we would if we weren't so invested in having all of the "other" colours).

Cleanup wipes, photos or word lists of designs you will do, *maybe* a rainbow cake, something to hold everything - you can have a pretty amazing "first kit" for under $100 I'd say - just avoid spending till you know something doesn't work (or does work really well and you need more) and you will be so far ahead - you will be able to *make* money! Then it gets bigger (banners, tent, table, more paint, more brushes, more more more).

I've only done cursory price comparisons (I have enough paint to likely last me the next year or two), but the forum shop ranks first for when I want to get more.
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by MonsterKat on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Wow, thank you so much for all the info!

I'm going to take a look locally...if I can find some snazaroo at our Micheals then I'll grab some to start practicing on my kiddos. It sounds like ordering some black/white (DFX?) would be a good idea though.
And from what I've been reading the forum shop here is a good place to start ordering from?
Can anyone recommend any other sites, for supplies or info?
Thanks again!!
MonsterKat

Back to top Go down

Post by MonsterKat on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Oh and what is holographic glitter? Is there a good brand to look for? Glitter will probably be very useful to me...I have 2 girls and they have lots of friends!

And as far as brushes go...is there a cetain type/size that I will find most useful?
MonsterKat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Great advice here already and welcome to the addiction! I love you Laughing

I'm a new face painter also, just started about3 months ago. I bought a lot of stuff I now know I don't really need/use that much. I don't generally do cheekr art because I find full faces to actually to be faster and more fun to do. Smile Here are my kit essentials:

~Diamond FX black and white for line work (can also use for sponging)
~Wolfe Bros neon/metallic palette (love these so much I ordered the 32g sizes)
~Wolfe primary colors palette (I started w/Kyrolan which is too creamy to me)
~Gold grip/Lowel-Castel (sp?) or Royal Majestic round brush #4 (for teardrops,swirls,lines,dots) - I also use my #5 a lot but #4 is my essential
~Small (around #6 is my preference) flat brush (for making roses, leaves, easy swans, color application)
~Horse tack sponges to cut in half for sponging on color
~Flat brush in 3/4" and/or #12 size (easy snakes, talking sharks and dinos)
~Sillyfarm's "Hollyberry" rainbow cake (use greens for snakes, dinos, leaves...use red/white side for one-stroke flowers, use gold in middle for accent lining, dots, lines, etc.) this is one of my fave products ever Very Happy
~Wolfe Bros metallic "Rose" is perfect for girls lipstick (I apply w/q-tips)
~Snazaroo's Glitter Arti powder in "Pink" is my MUST-HAVE for eyeshadow/blush on all girls (apply w/q-tip to eyes, finger tip on cheeks)
~White irridescent glitter goes w/all girl designs, red and green great for boys
~Self-adhesive gemstones make all the girls sooooo happy (Oriental Trading)
~Spray bottle for water/activating paints
~Unscented baby wipes for clean up and touch ups
~Hand sanitizer for cleaning my hands between faces
~Black or dark blue kitchen towel to wipe brushes clean
~Brush tub to hold water
~Popsicle holder to hold brushes
~Small mirror(s) for kids to admire themselves Smile
~Printout of designs I can do (I copy/paste into Word doc so there are 6-8 pics per page, I use one page as cheat sheet while painting, the kids look at other pages to decide on design while waiting....until I reach the point of a design board anyway)
~Camera to snap pics of my work for future design board
~Gum for minty fresh breath
~8.5 x 11 acrylic sign holder for table (I made a Word doc w/a few design choices plus parent info - how to clean, no painting if any fever/sign of illness in 48 hours, ages 3+ only, warning that some paints contain nut oils, etc.)
~Pink Soap to clean brushes at home, Sillyfarm's Brush Bath to keep water clean while painting (though I believe outside the US you void insurance/get in trouble if you use anything in brush water???)

Shocked Hadn't realized my essentials had grown so much..... Embarassed clown alien cyclops

Most of my supplies came from Sillyfarm but I will definitely be giving business to the Forum Shop here since I appreciate the forum so much! I love you

Last edited by Sparklyone on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm

oops! I'm one of those people using up far far far too much glitter - I think it is the white opalescent I was thinking about - talked about by several in http://www.facepaintforum.com/t5890-i-think-i-have-kit-envy - goes with everything kinda colour

And I forgot a mirror! Very essential!

Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Just starting out myself. You might check out Hancock's for some round artist sponges that you can cut in half. Bought 5 yesterday for 49 cents each. They are very similiar to the tack sponges. Also bought some more brushes at like 4.99 for three to five brushes that were nice with the no slip grips. Can't decide if I want to cut the one fan to make another butterfly brush or leave it to see what I can do with it. Bought some cosmetic glitter at Party City. The paints - well- that is where I think you have to decide what you are hoping to achieve. I bought Tag from the forum shop and I love them! For me, I tried to buy some colors based on the work I wanted to do. Anyway, the folks here in the forum are super helpful. Tons of step by step videos on the web as well. Above all, Have Fun!
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by MonsterKat on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:59 pm

wow, thanks again for all the details-I'm taking notes that I'll bring with me to the store (and keep on hand while online shopping, my favorite!)
While looking online I found this...
http://www.sillyfarm.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=1719&parent=335

the word SALE caught my eye lol but is it really a good deal? I was thinking of picking this up and buying some snaz locally if I can find it too.
MonsterKat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:14 pm

$30 is an average price for that, not a sale price IMO. I paid $40 for their neon/metallic same-sized palette at regular price which is about right since those cost more. If you sign up for their newsletter, you will get almost weekly sale coupon codes for 10% off etc. Wink

That being said, I think it's still a great buy and investment for starting out. I would strongly encourage you to invest your money in Wolfe and DFX instead of Snaz. Nothing against them but their paints just aren't the same quality IME and you want some good DFX black and white for linework. I LOVE the Snaz for certain products (like the Glitter Arti powder) and some of their sparkle paints are very pretty but for just starting out I found them much harder to work with and not as striking as Wolfe, DFX, TAG, etc.

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:17 pm

The tiger in my avi was created with the Wolfe Neon/Metallic palette and DFX black, btw. I used the metallic blue and metallic white sponged on then the DFX black for linework. I use my metallics and neon far more than my regular colors because they have such a prettier, richer look and the neons are very striking and look great together (like orange and yellow behind a batman mask) without having a "glow-in-the-dark" kind of look.

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:20 pm

These were all done w/the same Wolfe Neon/Metallix palette and DFX black/white for linework....

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Oh sorry and I see red from my Kyrolan basics palette on the eyelids. Would NOT buy that again, they are way too creamy of a consistancy for my liking.

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by MonsterKat on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks again for info Sparklyone! Is it possible to be addicted before even starting?? lol I think I was face painting in my dreams last night!
MonsterKat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum