Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

QUESTIONS: Water and brushes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

QUESTIONS: Water and brushes

Post by cattsy on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Okay so did my first gig this weekend, and it was really mickey moused.

1) Water - I use a two cup water system, find it gets my brushes cleaner. However at the farmers market there isn't easy access to water. I took a four liter jug with me and was glad I did. Problem? I use plastic cups, and had one disastrous occasion where I bumped the table my setup is on and everything went FLYING, water, brushes, everything but my paint, thank god LOL. What is a better idea for water that maybe isn't so easy to tip???

2) I have discovered, that I hate *hate* HATE my brushes >.< I have a variety of round brushes, in different brands, and maybe it's my loading technique, or something, but I can't seem to find one that gives a good line!! my fine line work SUCKS, and I can NOT seem to get a decent point on anything... Anyone have any good round brush suggestions? brands, types? what's your favorite brush?

Anyone have a good tutorial or tips on getting a nice sharp point on teardrops and lines??? mine tend to "fuzz out" am I just not loading my brush properly?

Other than that everything went fabulously Smile I made enough money to buy more paint, so I'm happy! Had a great time too, had a lot of fun!

Trina
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: QUESTIONS: Water and brushes

Post by Tra on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:47 pm

i cant do a tear drop with a round rush to save my life but i can do them with a small filbert go figure...so i use a filbert since it works for me Smile
Tra

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Oh! and Another question... I have a trifold foam core that I'm using for my board, how in the HECK do you keep the things from blowing over?? What is the best way to weight them or is there something that works better? This is an outdoor market, and I don't have a tent or anything.

@Tra: I don't think I've ever TRIED doing a teardrop with a filbert... hmmm maybe I'll have to try that Smile
cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracalla on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:04 pm

I use soft grip brushes and Loewell Cronell 7000 series brushes from Michael's. Once I get all the paint loaded on my brush, I roll it around in the paint to give it a nice point. One thing I did learn at FABAIC is to move the brush just before touching the skin in the direction you want to go....that has made a huge difference for me. That makes a nice sharp point. Also, you may want to try doing your tear drops both ways to see if one is easier, try thick to thin, then thin to thick and see if that helps.
Tracalla

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-06-25

http://drdrumtastickentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tra on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Tra

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:47 pm

If your table is heavy enough, clamp a pole to the table, clamp the board to the pole....

Water containers - in a tray - like a "tupperware" type tray - find one that just fits your containers - then a splash of water ends in the bottom, and they have each other to stay supported.
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonFly on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:56 pm

I actually just recently bought one of the brush washing tubs from Michaels - its wide and sits flat, so doesn't tip. It also has ridges on the bottom, so it makes washing the brush sooo much easier. Its not very pretty though, I might need to bling it up a bit. Smile

DragonFly

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-10-21

http://dragonfly-fp.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 pm

I use ropes to hold up my foam core tri-fold. I bought some neon pink rope and then tie it off on the uprights and double back, then stand the board up between the ropes. The rope should be up near the top of the board - works like a hot d*mn. My mom's aide, Amy, rigged it up the first time... even holds in the wind.

I will be taking photos the next time I set it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Shannon, would love to see pictures of that.... Mine was horrible all day lol kept falling over.

Dragonfly: that brush tub is REALLY cool.... does it have hole around the outside to stand up your brushes when you're done with them? Love that idea... How much was that? I might have to go scope our Michaels here for one Very Happy
cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Here is a picture of my picture board and banner..its a banner with photoe sleeves on it.. i can change out the picutures[img][/img]
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:52 pm

sorry this is so big lol
made a pvc frame to hold it in place..you can change out the pictures depending on the event...if you have a tent you can tie it to the post
hope this helps
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:11 pm

I have a pretty heavy easel, so no blowing away problems.
I use the 3 water system & keep them in the fatmax in a section where it won't mess w/ anything if it does spill a bit.
I like the Mark Reid brushes. They keep a good tip. I also create a well(a hole) in my paints where I drip some water in off my brush & create a good consistency of paint. This works well for my linework.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:18 pm

I use a wter bag - or Aqua Tote as they are called. When I got mne no-one had them but now nearly everyone sells them.
They fold flat for your case, they hold 3-4 cups of water and have pockets on the sides to hold your brushes. it can't ever be knocked over......... unless the whole table went!
Unfotunately the brushes thing is practice... it's always good to buy quality brushes because if you look after them they will look after you - but without long nights and days of teardrops and swirls up and down both arms and legs.
It gets easier!
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonFly on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Yep, the tub has holes of various diameter all around the water hole. It was about 8 bucks or something like that around here.
DragonFly

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-10-21

http://dragonfly-fp.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:55 pm

I have multiple brush tubs and love them. Mine are square and a think I paid more like 4 dollars a piece for them. I love them, I tried using a cup but I kept tipping it, or then I would accidently use my ice water cup ...ewww...
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:52 am

I use the brush basin shown in my setup pic here:

I wish I had bought a few of them at the time, because I have not been able to find ones with four sections again - most of them seem to have only three sections. I swoosh my brush into each section clockwise and by the fourth one the brush is clean and the water in that section stays fairly clear.

My daughter puts her brushes into the holes around the edge and I find that to be a pain in the neck, because you have to take them out whenever you switch out your water, then put them back in. Too time consuming.

I take fresh water with me in a large plastic container with a handle, and I have a bucket under my fatmax to dump my dirty water into. I only switch out my water about once every couple hours.

Teardrops - practice practice practice. I have been practicing doing teardrops both ways, at first I hated doing the thin to thick ones but I'm getting better at them, but I do find that for me it depends on which brush I am using. Only with practice can you make every brush do it good both ways!! I'm not there yet though!! Smile
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by sunflower on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:29 pm

I have an artists brush holder that is square, has holes on all 4 sides for the brushes, and a two sided bin in the middle for water. I've bumped it many times and it's never tipped over. got it at Michael's Crafts - a Donna Dewberry product. and it's dishwasher safe so i can get it really clean each time. I've had it for years and wouldnt part with it for the world.
sunflower

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:33 pm

I use a container that I got from OfficeMax that is intended for desktop pens/pencils and such. I fill it with clear bead drops and stick my brushes in that. My brushes stay upright and since it has segregated compartments, I can keep my brushes organized.

For a segmented water dish I found a black 3 compartment rectangular organizer that was intended for makeup brushes. I love having a black container because we all know that as soon as you rinse a brush with black paint, the water is less than appealing looking. I found it a while ago and I wish that I'd bought more because now I can't find them anymore!

Teardrops...ah...teardrops. The only advice I can offer is practice, practice and when you get it down, practice somemore. There's a lot to be said about those 100 teardrop exercises. I used to sit in front of the boob-tube and paint hundreds in a sitting. After a while it becomes all about muscle memory...but if I don't warm up first, my teardrops still start off looking like deformed tadpoles...
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Evelyn on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:22 pm

I went to FABAIC for the first time and one correction I got early on my pre-day class was to load the round brush more heavily than I am accustomed to doing. I am a serious oil painter(and instructor) and I care for my brushes well, including NOT loading into the ferrell(metal part) as this could and will affect the lay of the hairs later and ruin my good brushes. However with the face paint I was advised to load it right up into the
ferrell and load it heavily. I also know to twirl the round brush while taking it out of the paint source to get a fine edge. I have made the correction and think it helps.

Hope this may be of use to you as well.

Evelyn

Evelyn

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks for posting the pic of the 4-compartment basin! I found it or something similar on Amazon and wanted to share in case anyone else is interested, too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00369QIDA?redirect=true&ref_=cm_cr_dpvoterdr&isSRAdmin=

I got two of them and plan to use them along with my regular 2-compartment Lowel-Cornell basin at a big festival I'm working next month. One for black/darks, one for white, and one for brights - just like my laundry sorter bin. Very Happy

If only they made them with black plastic instead - WHY do they not, seriously?!

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Congrats on your first gig!

Have you seen the round brushes here in the store forum? There are some really great brushes sold here.I'm sure Matina could suggest a few Smile

I just did a two sided foam board and one side was a trifold. I got the idea from one of the painters here...She just posted pics of her display. I can't think of the name right now! I had a long gig today and I'm pooped! LOL

I took the foam boards and taped the tops together, then took ribbon and hot glued the bottoms together about 10 inch long ribbon pieces. The trifold really makes it heavier, but you can use little bags of rocks to weigh it down Wink
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Evelyn wrote:However with the face paint I was advised to load it right up into the
ferrell and load it heavily. I also know to twirl the round brush while taking it out of the paint source to get a fine edge.

Evelyn is spot-on. For the "fuzzing out" problem, it's all about loading your brushes with enough paint in a runny-enough consistency. It's a looser consistency that you'd think, and looser than you'd use for a dot. Obviously not so much that it drips, but it can't "pull" on the skin, it has to glide to get a sharp point.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Oh, I also wanted to add that Silly Heather from SillyFarm has a Youtube video of just basic thick to thin or thin to thick Smile
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top