Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

yikes! My first gig wasn't so fun haha....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

yikes! My first gig wasn't so fun haha....

Post by Nightsage on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Had my first big face painting gig for my daughters school party.....I had the teacher coming out every thirty seconds to tell me to paint faster, and I should have brought faster options. Sad Then she told the kids that they didn't have time for the rest of them to get one because I wasn't fast enough and they started crying....so a parent went in and argued and they let the rest of the class get one done...except for one who was really upset and the teacher told her because she threw a fit she wouldn't get one at all....I had a parent come and help me for the last bit of it but they only gave me an hour to paint 40 plus kids....I am totally new to painting for parties so I know I need to work on my speed...but is this normal for parties? Am I going to get harassed like this all the time? The kids loved it and I may have a gig from this but wow that was stressful!
Nightsage

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Re: yikes! My first gig wasn't so fun haha....

Post by eva on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Oh honey, no one can paint 40 kids in an hour, unless they are superman/woman, that is barely time to use a stencil, or dauber. I can only see that working if you sponged like a rainbow butterfly with no details, and a tiger maybe with no lines or details. You tried to do something nice, and it wasn't appreciated by the teacher, and that's ok, they get stressed too. Sorry it didn't go so well. I plan an even 10 kids an hour. I can paint more than that, but I like to take my time and make room for the extra kiddies that always show up. You live and learn. I have def put myself in positions like that when I first started.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Forty an hour is not fun! Even just the child sitting down, telling you their choice and you painting something super super simple (heart, star, rainbow) would take longer - they take longer than that to get settled and communicate. The only part of you being "new" that affected the outcome was in being able to hold firm as "this is not reasonable".
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I am in total agreement with Eva. I'm not even sure how they thought anyone could do anything except maybe crap cheek art on all the kids in the time allotted. Not only that, but the actions of the teacher were unprofessional and uncalled for, and teaches the kids horrible behaviour. I would actually confront the teacher and school principal on that matter and say in the future that while you would love to help out, they need to be more aware of the time needed for you to do your job as well.

No, they aren't all like that at all. At least not in my experience.
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I saw on here years ago someone painted a camp or something.. alot of kids in a short time. He/she lined up the boys on one row of picnic tables and the girls on another. THen she took the rainbow cake down the row and sponges the girls as a rainbow butterfly (nothing but rainbow) then the boys in like a tiger color down the row, then white down the row. Seems like maybe a second person or the same person may have did a little lines on the boys. But anyway, that's the only way I can imagine doing that many kids in that little time.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 pm

So sorry this didn't go well for you. I'm with the others, there is no way you could cram 40 in an hour unless you just ran through the line doing a rainbow or something like that, same design on all the kids. Sound like the teacher was being very unreasonable and expecting way to much out of one person. If you are ever asked again, just let them know how many can reasonably be done in 1 hr and go from there. I just did a party not long ago at my daughters school. 1 hour is all that we could use so,I did 17 in 1 hour, very ,very simple stuff and I had to really hustle. Don't be hard on yourself, sounds like you tried super hard in a difficult situation. There will be better gigs in the future! Smile
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightsage on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks guys! I am less stressed about it now. I really thought it was me being slow. I don't think I will do school parties anymore unless they give me more time. I love adding detail and I don't think I will give that up to do crap art! I was really disappointed in what I was painting near the end and I won't do a crappy job again just to please a crabby teacher!
Nightsage

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:10 pm

40 kids? jeez.
Some people.
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rcvaughan on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:09 pm

That's just wrong on so many levels, but it started with the teacher asking for 40 kids in an hour and you not asking her if she was crazy. What a Face
Seriously though, you shouldn't feel bad at all. We always want each child to feel special, and to rush the kids through is not fair to them and robs them of the whole experience. But, live and learn...next time you'll know what to expect, and you will have no problem letting them know up front what is and is not reasonable. Happy Painting Honey!
rcvaughan

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.happyfacesbytudi.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

That teacher was incredible! SHE is a TEACHER?!? I expect the stupid and uneducated to watch what you are doing and be sillly enough to think 'go faster', but what was she smoking?!? I can do 40 kids in an hour slinging henna, but no way could I do that painting! 10 - 20 tops is more reasonable. Don't worry....you were probably great....teacher needs a new job tho........
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Wow! I was struggling to get 40 done in 3 hours this morning... the amount of time it took for them to decide, to climb off me, to stop wriggling... I guess you can only learn from these situations.
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:24 pm

I have a gig this Sat. 1 of 3 actually. It is the last one of the day an 8th grade graduation party. The lovely women booked me for 3.5 hours wanting the tattoo inks and glitter tats....ok no problem right???? Then she says oh and there will be about 100 kids in attendance. RUT ROH SHAGGY!!!!! i quickly chimed in there is no way I will be able to service all 100 in that time frame. She didn't flinch and said well if we need to pay you for more time then we will just do that. Well ok then see ya on Sat.

My point is you have to ask questions and be very forthcoming about what you know you can really do at your present skillset. There is a fine line between overselling what you can do and under selling yourself. So I don't know if they had given you any indication before hand of how many kids would be there. I mean they should have, but then by the same token that is a question we need to be asking as well so we can tailor what we need to do to best accomodate the client.

In any event does by no means excuses her (the teacher) lack of decorum in handling the situation.

I tell you this is exactly why I have no issues in using stencils. If you are gonna place those kind of demands on me Lotta kids/little time and I choose to accept the gig you better believe some kids ae getting stencil'd up &choices will be limited. The client and the kid can care less about the use of a stencil. They just want paint on their face. Get 'em in Get 'em out

At the end of the day a happy client leads to future gigs
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 pm

I love and agree with all comments here already but just wanted to give you a big ol' ((((((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))))))) for such a stressful situation when you were doing something to bless other people. And to say that the teacher you described is only one of the reasons I love homeschooling! lol I am so sorry you were treated so dishonorably and that one person wound up creating such a negative air where there should have been (was!) something exciting and joyful going on.

I'm still new but my first time painting anyone besides my own kids was at an Easter fundraiser party I threw for a friend's International adoption. It took me almost 3 hour nonstop to paint a mere 18 kids! The parents were grateful and most of the kids were very patient since we were at a playground, but I was still so embarrassed when I realized later how slow my work was...and that was with nobody pressuring me, I can't even imagine! Big hugs again you did a great thing for those kids today. I love you

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:15 am

So sorry for you! This is a beginner mistake I've made also. It's part of the learning curve, but is ok since now, you'll never make it again:-)
{{HUGS}}
I advertise 12-15 kids in an hour & explain that's 3-5 minutes a child & also allows time for transition in & out of the chair.
I know there are painters that advertise speed painting, but I feel like being able to work harder for less time & less money is very counter productive. Now, I can paint a butterfly in under a minute if I want to & have when I'm pushed for time, but I won't advertise that or tell a client. They will then dictate how & what I paint.
The teacher was rude & out of line in treating you that way & made a difficult situation worse...
I won't do 1 hour events for high volumes of kids. I have people try to hire me all the time for 1 hour. I explain that having a face painter & not trying to provide adequate time just looks bad. You will end up w/ upset parents & kids. Pay for the extra time or don't provide the service. Advertisers often need to hear this since not wanting to pay for a good amount of time can cost them w/ unhappy clients. I'd rather spend a little more $ and have a happy client than have an unhappy client that goes on & on about how the said company said they'd have free face painting & didn't let their kid get painted....
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightsage on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks guys! I am still really frustrated about what happened but I feel so much better after reading your replies! This whole thing is a bit scary for me, But you guys are so great with your support and being able to read all the info you guys give out on here is so much help! Thanks again for being so great!
Nightsage

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:07 pm

the fastest painters can only do 15 to 20 an hour and it isn't their best work.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top