Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How do you handle someone picky....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you handle someone picky....

Post by Ginacentral on Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 am

Last year I was at a carnival and there was a kid in the face painters chair (not mine) who couldn't decide what they wanted then once they did decide, the mom was super picky.

So this is more of a two part question..... I'm not really sure how do you get a young kid of 4 or 5 to pick something if they are being wishy washy.... If you have a picky parent or even a kid for that matter how do you guys handle that....any tricks.
Ginacentral

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you handle someone picky....

Post by funfacesforu on Thu May 28, 2009 12:16 pm

I don't let anyone sit in my chair unless they know what they want. I just say that I will take the next in line and when they decide what they want I will paint them. That usually makes them make a quick decision. Also try to talk the child into a design, they are easier to convince than the mom.
funfacesforu

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Thu May 28, 2009 1:13 pm

I try to tempt them. "Would you like PINK dolphins? Wouldn't that be fun!" or "What if I did a RAINBOW butterfly with my special rainbow cake?". That usually helps!
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral on Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Good suggestions!! I will be incorporating all.
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO on Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 pm

Exactly - just try to direct them towards something you want to paint or you think they would love - sometimes you pick up a clue from their shirt or shoes. I also have seen my friend do an excellent job just narrowing them down with 2 part questions - pretty or scary? - blue or purple? - cheek or arm? ............

The toughest kid is the one who makes his mind up as he goes along and changes it or adds on - "can you do my other arm, my cheek as this, and add a red stripe...etc..." they are tougher to please and require a firmer hand . "Sweetie, I would love to paint your golden ninja car with the flames coming out and the 3 headed blue star dragon, but tonight we have 25 more friends waiting to be painted so which do you choose? dragon or car?"
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Thu May 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Golden Ninja Car with Flames...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I laughed and laughed at this, remembering all of the "golden ninja car with flames" types of kids I've had in my chair over the years!
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Fri May 29, 2009 6:40 am

I agree with taking the next in line when they can't decide. Unless there is no line..

For the kids that wan't more I tell them they then have to stand in line again. Some do and some don't. If it is a slow day there are children with paint more or less all over.
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Fri May 29, 2009 8:16 am

I do the, "I'll take the next person until you decide" and this usually makes the decision easy. Some tell me it is because I don't currently use a display board.

I don't find that a display board remedys this much and the kids usually destroy the book or board I have made and parents really couldn't care less. So, I don't have one. Sometimes, if I want to perfect a design I will print out some pics onto letter size photo paper and show them, but I hold it not them.

I am considering just doing a list of things, this way they have a choice, but I am not limited or committed to what is on the photos.

Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral on Fri May 29, 2009 10:11 am

Thats a good idea too. I was fretting cause I really dont have the money right now to do a display board like I want to but maybe it is better to just have a list of things that way you don't have to do it exactly like whats pictured but at the same time they still basically know what they are getting.
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sat May 30, 2009 2:46 am

But what if the child can't read? I still get surprised by some older children that have trouble with normal words. To much television I would think...
My fear would be you would have to listen to parents reading the list loud all day. Or they are asking you, if there is no parents near by (I do have children that are dumped in the line, while the parents do their shopping)
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 30, 2009 10:18 am

If they haven't decided by the time they get in the chair, I tell them to get out and I'll paint the next person ... usually they make up their minds really fast. I don't have time to spend coaxing them into something - they did not pay to be painted so I prefer to move on and tell them to hop out of the chair.

I ignore parents... it is the kid getting painted NOT the parent. I will of course acknowledge requests for "no black" or "avoid their eyes" etc but the kid gets to choose the design AND

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:45 am

If there's a line, I usually have them decide while I paint the next in line. This has not went over very well and you can have some upset customers, so I made a little sign saying.. "Please have your design choice picked out before taking a seat. In order to lessen the wait time, we may need to serve the next in line until you've picked out your design. Thank you!"

I put this in a visible area and it's worked like a charm. When I don't put out the sign, I usually get several customers who can't decide what they want and it seems to take forever for them to make up their mind. When I put it out everyone is prepared and if there are any hemming and hawwing, the parent quickly steps in and has the child decide or I just ask the parent what design they'd like me to paint on the child. I had a big 3 day event this weekend and I don't think I had a single person being indecisive in my chair.
Sherry

Number of posts : 281

http://www.funfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top