Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Should I take this gig??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should I take this gig??

Post by HappyVickery on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 am

Hello everyone!

I went to speak to the parks and recreation department in my city about practicing in the park for tips. I got permission for that, but he also asked if I could do several events for them this fall. Two of them are events where I could rent a booth and charge per face, but the one I'm worried about is a three evening halloween thing. They usually have 700 kids a night at this thing, and they sell tickets ahead of time with everything included. I have taken my daughter to this event in the past, and my husband waited in line for one thing for an hour and 1/2, and then was told that we would not get to ride before the event ended. So needless to say it is overly crowded. For this event, he wants the face painting included in the entry price. I know all the kids won't want to get their face painted, but I feel like I will be working super hard for no where near enough money. With so many people there it would be fantastic advertising, but if I end up doing super quick designs would anyone hire me for something later? Any feedback/suggestions would be helpful.
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I take this gig??

Post by FugitiveFromMediocrity on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:57 am

Congrats on the great offer! I would be a little intimidated too.

Why not have one or two photo books of your larger, more complex work available for parents to peruse while waiting. (Add a pocket for your business cards)

I would have a menu of designs that you are offering at that event & maybe even a written explanation as to why your offerings are limited. Since everyone who paid the entry fee is entitled to be painted, you want to make sure everyone has that opportunity & receives quality work.
I've done this & it's been great at helping me improve speed & technique while not having to worry about new designs. It also opens things up for me to try new little things here & there with the chosen images.

That's just my inexperienced 2 cents.

Nancy

FugitiveFromMediocrity

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 am

I've also thought about adding in a temporary tatoo option to help speed things up, but I kind of feel like it would be shady unless they were really cool. The really cool ones look pretty expensive on line and could deeply cut into my profit if I ordered too many. I don't know too much about them.

Are temporary tatoos a bad way to go to help get the line down? My husband and mom have offered to help, and I could put one of tem on that to get though several kids pretty fast while the other could be the line manager. But I don't want anyone to feel cheated.
HappyVickery

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:53 am

Make sure if you do it and are included in the price that they are paying you a fair wage. The bouncy houses and ponies won't be doing it for nothing and neither should you. Learn a few eye-popping quick designs and have a limited board if you have other designs around to look at the kids will want those and then you'll spend a ton of time explaining why you can't do them even though they've waited for a long time in line. Having a good line manager will also be key to your success so they can stop the line from growing when you are getting close to the end and they can estimate how many more you can do. I can usually gage it pretty well unless there are a lot of 'place holders' in the line or people let their friends in. If you want people to see what you can do on a more elaborate scale design a flyer or business card to give to parents after their child has been painted.
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 pm

If they are willing to pay your hourly rate to be there then jump on it. You can do this. Limit your designs. Let rainbow cakes and stencils do the work- it will look fab, be quick, and your family will be able to help.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:14 pm

If organizers are paying me to face paint the public for free I always post a sign saying: Free Face Painting Provided by "XYZ Co.". Face painting will close promptly at 00:00. It take 3-5 minutes to per child, so gauge your wait time accordingly. Thank you for understanding, Linda"
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:51 pm

don't do it for less than your usual rate and I would suggest to them that they have three or four painters if it is really that busy... if you know a couple more in your area, let them know that.

I would not give a discounted rate on something like that because you will not have fun doing it. It is going to be difficult and thankless work, so you need to be compensated properly.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Perry Noia wrote:
I would not give a discounted rate on something like that because you will not have fun doing it. It is going to be difficult and thankless work, so you need to be compensated properly.

Yeah, what Perry said. Definitely do not give any sort of discount for this. You'll be working super hard and will be swamped the whole time. I'd take the suggestion to ask that they hire more painters, as well. Often when people buy something all-inclusive, they try to get everything possible that they feel they already paid for, so you will be busy.
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 am

I am with Perry and Angie. For something like this , you need to be paid. I just did an event that was free to the public . The business paid me by the hour but let me tell you, I was swamped!!!! I had no idea the amount of people that would be there and I should have limited my designs much better than I did. Hind sight is 20/20 next time I am painting the masses, I will take my top six quick designs and scoot through the line better.

At the "free painting to the public" things, the lines will be very long and you have to cut it off at some point. The people can get nasty. Be ready for that too.

Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:20 am

I don't know anyone in face painting except for you guys. I do have a friend that paints. . mostly oils on canvas, but she is looking for some extra cash so I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping.

The even planner told me last year they had volunteer college students do the face painting. I know that's true, but I think he mentioned it to get my rate lower. I think to him, paying anyone is going to be a bit of a shock, and he may just decline right away. I still sent him my regular rate because I think I will be working my self silly.

And to be honest, I don't know that I'm ready for something like this. If I get it, I will absolutely give it my best go, but if not, I'm not going to stess it. I want face painting to be fun, and this I think will be far from fun the fun and fulfilling things I usually do.

I've never had anyone get mad when I didn't have time to paint them, but I've never had anyone that felt like they already paid for it before either. I work in management at my regular job, and luckily am very good at calming down hostile clients.

Thank you all so much for your respones! It is so fabulous to have people to turn to when I don't have a clue Smile You guys are insanely wonderful Smile
HappyVickery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:53 am

Re the Halloween gig... it is over three nights? Meaning Halloween? I would really hesitate, if it were me, to make that commitment.

Halloween weekend is my biggest income weekend of the year - because I can take on multiple gigs and appointments between them.

If you don't typically get lots of work over Halloween it may work out if it is a regular paid booking. But yes, consider the venue and volume.

I do lots of work for the City here and the lines are LONG because the painting is "free" and there are almost riots when I cut off the line.

Anyway, great connections for you regardless and good luck!!

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 pm

It's the 27th to the 29th. So not right on Halloween, just near by Smile
HappyVickery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Those are the party dates this year aren't they? Since this year the 30th & 31st are Sunday and Monday, the 27th, 28th and 29th are the money nights - when adults want to get painted to go to the big parties and bar/pub contests. That's where I make my money - sometimes the weekend before too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum