Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hi there everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi there everyone!

Post by Vashti on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi there! I'm from Colorado and very new to face painting. I'm sure that there will be some who roll their eyes at the speed at which someone gets started...but I did things VERY FAST. I purchased my paints and gear last week, had them delivered on Thursday, practiced on Friday and went to a PPF event on Saturday. I did well! Everyone said that the faces looked wonderful, the kids were super happy and I still had a crowd around my booth THREE HOURS after the event ended and all the other merchants had gone home. My booth was still left in the park with people coming and going. I made about $20 per hour, which is great by my homemaker non-income standards, but I charged miniscule amounts ($1 for cheeks, $2-3 for masks/1/2 faces and $5 for full faces) and could have probably made a lot more. I've been lurking here for about a week and have seen that many only do hourly events and parties and everyone charges more than I did. I figured I shouldn't charge too much since I was just learning.

I am very crafty, and spend a lot of time making hand made cards and the like, and have very dextrous hands. I figure that helped me immensely to paint many of the faces that I saw online easily. I can't tell you how thankful I am for You Tube!! Wow, there is a wealth of face painting education on there.

If anyone reads this that is familiar with glitter tattoos...it is the only thing I had trouble with. I think I may have been putting too much glue on, and not waiting long enough to put the glitter on. I didn't watch any videos on it until after the event, and noted that most people were waiting to add the glitter for the glue to dry clear. That surprised me! The problem I was having was that I had a couple of tats peel up slightly with the stencil when I removed it. It looked like pizza cheese Smile so I figured that I had just used too much glue.

I have wolf paints and had purchased a couple of larger Snazaroo (just white and black) for bases. I only got the other brand because Sillyfarm was out of the Wolf for b/w in the larger sizes. I was really unhappy with the Snaz cakes. The constancy was so very different from Wolf, and it ended up getting really messy after awhile. I'm sure it's just user error. I bet I used too much water with them! At any rate, I learned so much in such a short period of time. How to best do certain strokes, which brushes were my favorite and my "go to" brushes, not to forget to pouf a bit of glitter in the end (I forgot the glitter for about half of the day), etc.

I had a great time overall, and am now addicted. I've just contacted the chamber of commerce to look for more events, and have plans for my booth at a bunch of different places throughout the summer and fall. This forum is amazing, and I'm really enjoying all the wonderful posts. I'm going to be contributing from now on, and can't wait to get to know some of you. You've already blessed me immensely and taught me so much! THANK YOU!

May you all be blessed with prosperity and the adoration of small children everywhere.

Vashti
Vashti

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi there everyone!

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Welcome Vashi, it was so lovely to read all about how you started out with your fp. Good for you jumping in & having a go, making some money & having a great time doing it. Look forward to seeing you more round the forum. Very Happy
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Vashti on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Thank you kindly, Mandi!
Vashti

Back to top Go down

Post by len sherrard on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:10 am

Welcome, and way to go!
len sherrard

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-12-29

http://www.ellensburgfaceart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 am

Welcome to the forum Vashti!
Tip of the day: Snaz can get very gloppy & hard to manage in high temps Very Happy
Enjoy your journey into face painting!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:01 am

Welcome, I second Linda's tip. I use alot of snaz and they get very soft in the heat, but still love them. So many other paints are awesome too and there are lots of threads on here talking about all of them. Also, if you haven't checked out the Forum shop here, it is great and Metina has super fast shipping and it is only $5.

sounds like you are off and running! Have fun. cheers
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vashti on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 am

Thank you all so much. It was definitely over 100 degrees for my event, so I'm sure that's why my snaz got gloppy. I really appreciate that tip! I wont be giving up on it any time soon, as I'm really glad I purchased some larger containers of black and white for bases. I'm probably going to try some DFX or Wolf larger ones as soon as I can though and I'll definitely check out the store here!
Vashti

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Welcome Vashti. Great start!
nancy!

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down