Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Italian Family Reunion Gig

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Italian Family Reunion Gig

Post by Taradoodles on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:02 am

I just got a paid gig! Im excited, and its THIS saturday! I have been practicing fun things with all my new split cakes- thanks for all the inspiration. The lady asked me to practice up on the Italian flag and the Italian Horn designs for their reunion. I was curious to see if anyone has had any requests like that, or any ideas for inspiration and good designs? Later on today Ill post a few pictures of things I have been working on. Thanks to a google search.
If you have even had a request like this, (or even take them) do you end up painting what they requested? Or do you paint the normal bundle of butterflies, eye masks, rainbows, cars and such?
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Italian Family Reunion Gig

Post by Noella on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:45 am

Organizers always seem to like theme related designs - and participants rarely go for them for me - adults more than children do though.
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 pm

this was off a tattoo design i googled

i just like fireworks. this new glitter is awesome! its from the forumshop
Taradoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:38 pm

whoa, thoes images turned out huge! im sorry. the flag i painted lefthanded which I thought turned out great! it was funny, I had to stick my toungue out to paint on that one to feel balanced. lol
Taradoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by helena on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm

LOL! I know what you mean Smile

I think they both turned out really well and the fireworks and glitter just adds to the celebration of them - good work!

Have a great time on the weekend!
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Those are pretty cool designs. I especially like the first one, looks so glitzy queen
facesbybelle

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2011-03-20

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Faces-by-Belle/20513790

Back to top Go down

Post by melisadill on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Both are really cool! It's been my experience that what Noella said was true. I done an Easter Bunny birthday party, the mom said she wanted a cute bunny design for her daughter to wear and some options for the other party goers. When I got there the birthday girl chose the simplest eye design I had, go figure! And only 2 of the other girls wanted Easter themed designs. A better alternative might be to have some fun options in the regular designs just in the flag colors. The masks that Marcella is doing on FABATV are awesome! They would be super cute in those colors. Good luck and have fun!!!
melisadill

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-12-09

http://www.makinfacesms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:54 pm

ooOoo I have to say. Im glad its over!
I painted for about 2.5 hrs, and enjoyed it. I did a few Italian designs but not many. It went ok till the end- the man that hired me turend out to be a lawyer and was intent on proving a point. "If Im running a business I need to be prepared" I agree, but I am new at this and stated that several times! How am I sopposed to know everything that goes on and have it all right before I start painting? I just turned to being paid for things! ARGH
I normally work a gig, then accept whatever they want to pay me at the end, or work for tips, or volunteer for goodness sakes. I dont have the head for all this paperwork.
He was somewhat nice about it but made me feel completly stupid. He went on about contracts, deposites, receipts and proof of showing up and being paid. I mean, I had started thinking about these things since I saw some postings on here about it, but defintly didnt have anything to offer. I was almost in tears when I left.
Who do I go to, to write up a contract for services or something? How did you tackle this venture? Did you need to? He has got me scared to say YES to anyone anymore.
I feel like I need to shut down my website and call it quits. Stick to volunteering or just painting for people I know.
Its not what I want to do, but I know I wont be able to handle writing the fancy things, and I will struggle with the paperwork/receipt contract part

venting a bit. thanks
Taradoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:17 am

Don't let him get to you! Contracts are for your benefit as much as theirs, but it sounds like he was trying to get you to hire him to write up your contracts. He also is a laywer so he is covering himself by wanting some proof that you were paid so you can't come back and sue him for non-payment. He's a lawyer. . .they have a tendancy to see the worst in people. So don't take it personally.

Someone on here posted a copy of one of their contacts. . .I think you can find it with the search function by searching contracts. Then try to tailor it to your needs. You can always post it back on the forum for some suggestions Smile

Deposits are helpful for you, so you can buy supplies ahead of time, but not a requirement if you don't need it. If you have people that cancel on you at the last minute, a non-refundable deposit would be a bonus for doing nothing.

The bottom line is, did you have fun painting? Did the people enjoy it? Most of all, did he pay you?? My guess is that he did, he just wanted to let you know that since there was no contract, or any proof that you were there (aside from all the happily painted people) that he didn't have to.

This one jerk should not stop you from painting if it is what you love! Just look out for yourself, so someone doesn't give you a dollar for working 3 hours Smile

I don't think most people will freak out if there isn't a contract, deposit, or receipt. It's not like they can usually write face painting off on their taxes Smile
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by freedspirit on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:31 am

What a jerk!!!
You will build your business in your own time...Dont panic and tick off one thing at a time..This is suppose to be a job you love,, dont let old smarty pants pull you down..HUGS!
freedspirit

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.facecreationz.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:59 am

Sorry he made you feel uncomfortable. Just take a breath and take a little time to get some things in order. You paint beautifully and are worthy of good pay for sure. Just get your contract, prices and everything down and be confident and ready 4 your next paying job cause it is coming. I am not as prepared as I should be either as far as the contract thing so, I am really going to jump in on that this week too.
Loved your Italian designs by the way. Smile
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks.
Maybe Ill rethink it slowly this time and not have another sleepless night. this guy had me freaked, then my actuary SO agreed with the lawyer man. argh
i told him off this morning that if he wanted me to have them then HE can figure out how to write them and get them printed and filed! i want to use my profits for paint! I made $62 yesterday and im getting more splitz and a few more big colids- thoes things are soo much better to work with then the plastic palattes. I was 11-2 so not to bad at all I think. COnsidering how many people I painted. PLUS I did some great new designs with the rainbows cakes, awesome practice. and my roses, thoes roses ar e ahuge hit!

thanks for reassuring me and talking a bit about contracts, ill do the search and see what I can come up with. i was thinking about the first hour is non refundable deposite anyways so I might just make it happen. then to tackle the wording on my website to state as much.
thanks again
Taradoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 am

PM me your email and I will send you some blank stuff to modify for your own use.

What a jerk! Seems like he was just trying to justify all the time he spent in law school-but in some ways he is right. If you want to run a business, then you need to have business documents.

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Sorry he was so rude to you, but at the same time, he has a very valid point and was probably trying to help you but came off as blunt. We're a very supportive forum and tend towards the coddling end of encouragement rather than blunt, here. =) There are so many resources available on this forum, for free! Use your profit on paint, but don't neglect to build the structure of your business - that's whats going to keep people hiring you and keep your splits coming!

I'm not trying to be mean, just give you some food for thought on why I don't think the lawyer was completely off-base. Even if he was grumpy about the information he presented, you're pretty fortunate that he took the time to share his expertise with you in the attempt to help. Not all clients will do that, most will just turn around tell everyone they know not to hire you again - even if it's over something you considered trivial.

Perhaps you did not come across as "prepared" despite your insistence that you're new to this? Of course you can't anticipate everything, but part of being prepared is making reasonable assumptions about situations and learning from the experiences you've had. If you're expecting payment, regardless of how you choose to go about it (tips versus hourly vs volunteer), you are presenting yourself as a professional. Professional doesn't mean "awesomely amazing face painter," (though your designs are very cool!) it just means "charging for your services." For someone who hired you, you're representing THEM as much as your own business. Your designs, and more importantly, your preparedness reflect on your client, in this case, the lawyer.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more of your designs!
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helena on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm glad you had a good time (until the end bit.) It sounds like the paint-ees enjoyed it too Smile

When I had my "sunny the clown" business I was registered as a small business and had business cards, but never had a need for deposits (no one ever cancelled last minute) or used contracts - I just gave out signed receipts after payments. (They were carbon receipts so I kept a copy too.)

Since being back and starting up face painting again and being on this site, I'm realizing that maybe things have changed since the 'old days' and that I need to start looking into contracts, deposits etc too... something I find rather imposing - I hate paperwork Smile

As someone mentioned above, there could be some good links/info on contracts on here and/or maybe google will bring up some ideas. I'll let you know if I find any.

I know I don't have to start charging tax until (if) I ever make more than $30,000 and don't need to register as a business until then (I checked with the business bureau)

helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 pm

Oh I know he had a point! Like i had stated I was starting to think about contracts and deposites and such before I went, I just didnt have everything together.
I see know that I was representing him in a way, and more than likely he has to have all his ducks in a row and I was swimming backwards! (so to speak, lol)
Ive had time to think about it and Im going to put some things together this next week or two and reword my website some to include the new changes.
Vistaprint will let me get stationary and receipts printed with my logo and such on the top. BTW- Do I need to copyright my logo? SHould someone like me go through the trouble of doing it? ...I figured Id ask you all since were mucking through legal stuff now anywho.
I know this forum coddles, but its great to know you can go somewhere and get support, even if it does spoil you a bit.
taxes?! Oh I dont think ill ever get up that high in profit! lol

SO my next tackle- BUSINESS DOCUMENTS, then Ill work on getting a proper case and paints. I can work with what I got...for now. But the docs cant wait. I want to come off as professional now and not a bumbling stay at home mommy.
I guess my first start will be to watch my typing skills on the forum. I let them lax because I type like I talk, but I need to do better. Period.
Thanks again everyone!
~T
Taradoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:51 pm

I have some forms and other resources you can use on my resources page (the link is the word "here" in my signature.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Oh, this gig lead to another! I got a call today from the lawyer mans friend who is a district magistrate for Erie! Im getting into politcs it seems. Im still soo excited!

I read the advice I received about my website and raised up my prices, I still cant seem to figrue out what my 'minimum' is because I have so little info to go off of. I know I need better paints and soon, my palettes are almost empty with all this practicing. I know its paying off though, I believe my designs get better by the day. i felt bad charging to much for what i thought was nothing, but got kicked in the butt and realized it isnt nothing, im actually pretty good! Plus I dont want to 'undercut' anyone and make enemies. I also dont want to be known as the cheap face painter. ergh, i like to do great work that Im proud of.
ooo Im starting to rant! Im sorry. I just excited I got another one! plus I have booked two 'business' events as well.
this is taking off fast. -happy dance-

thanks everyone for your help.
Taradoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

Tara, that is what this forum is for and it's refreshing to see advice freely given taken for the well meaning nuggets they are. All too often people who want to hit the ground with their feet running will disregard advice to slow down as negative...to their own peril later.

Contracts are important to me...so much so that I don't paint without one. It took a while to amass my "process" but it's one that I like and a lot of clients have commended me on my professional approach. Microsoft Word and Publisher are excellent sources for electronic contracts that you can email to your client. I prefer Word because I can create a contract that I can either fill out myself or send to a customer and all of the fields and my terms of agreement are protected (the customer can only fill out the information fields). It's taken time but I'm devised a system of contract delivery and retrieval, retainer colletion and receipt distribution that sends a clear message: I'm a business woman not to be messed with.

As far as your rate. The most important thing you can do for yourself is determine your value. You don't want to undercut your own artwork...especially if the pictures you showed are your norm. You are being paid to do what others can't or wont, so pay yourself accordingly. You're so right about the importance of not undercutting other painters or selling yourself short. Here's my suggestion: Determine your hourly rate for regular events...that should be what you strive to get for every hour. I never discount my first hour because I want that established as my "leave the house" rate. If I discount subsequent hours, I have a chart that gives me a breakdown of the different discount rates and percentages so I can reflect the discount on the contract. By doing this, I am still giving the customer the perception of my value WITH the added benefit of knowing I've given them a discount.

Trust me, I know it's not easy determining your worth. I remember I was asked for a quote for corporate event and I almost choked on the $700 quote my calculations revealed...until the caller said "okay". It's mind blowing to know that somebody will pay me that kind of money to come and paint, but I'm working convincing myself that I'm worth it. You're worth it, you just have a little choking to do before you get around to accepting it.

Customers do look at prices and the ones I want DO wonder why another painter is $50/hr cheaper than I am. The customer I want is the one who will then start trying to figure out the difference instead of being charmed by a low price tag. I don't skimp on the quality i give my customers so I am a lot happier with customers who don't want to skimp on the quality they pay for.

Congrats on your gig and your referral! You're on your way and you're learning the valuable lessons at the start instead of the middle...this is a good thing! As abrupt and probably pompus as that attorney may have sounded, I think he was giving you advice that would ultimately serve to benefit you. I don't think he wanted to write your contracts, but I'll be you're not the first entertainer he's observed and he was probably comparing your operation to another entertainers. The advice was good, even in the messenger was a little crotchety, lol!

Good Luck~~
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top