Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Do you have a persona in your biz?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you have a persona for your biz?

17% 17% 
[ 4 ]
58% 58% 
[ 14 ]
25% 25% 
[ 6 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 24

Do you have a persona in your biz?

Post by Skidzz on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:57 am

Ok... well I am totally not finding what I am looking for...lol... so I thought I would ask whether you all have a persona, for example like Perry...
What is the persona?
How did you create the persona?
Does it help your business image?
Does it make parties/festivals harder?
Is it better for advertising?
Is there anytime you don't use your persona?

I am sure there are more things I am not thinking of... but this is something I have been wondering for a really long time. Whether I should bother to create one, or if its more trouble than its worth. Anything you can add would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you!! Now back to looking for everything else!! LOL
Skidzz

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.facepaintingcolorado.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you have a persona in your biz?

Post by Geekophile on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm not sure I really understand the question. Like characters? I have a fairy and a pirate costume that I wear if someone requests it- but they're not like a persona. I always act like me.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:00 am

I only know a couple of face painters around here that are not clowns and most of them don't dress up.... one of them does, but he doesn't act any differently than is usual annoying self (lol... sorry, he and I don't get along very well especially after he made my daughter cry). Anyway, keep in mind that I don't just dress up, I do a performance as well. When you become a children's entertainer on top of a face painter or balloon twister, you need to maintain that character or persona for the entire time that you are in the costume... even when you aren't at the party or on the stage anymore. I can't go to the bathroom without being watched for what I will do next. I had a little girl notice my shoes under the bathroom stall and she sounded completely amazed when she told her mother, "clowns go pee too?"

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you from doing it, it is a lot of fun and when your character is an exaggerated version of yourself, it's not so hard... you just need to be ready for it in making your decision to start it.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPainter on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:29 am

I switched to doing a non-clown persona. I beleive its a little easier to get the gigs for grown ups....plus I wanted to differentiate myself from the standard facepainting clown.

Funny thing is, after 15 years of clowning, my clown persona jumps to the forefront whenever kids are around, no matter what I'm wearing. So I just decided to be a non-clown clown, and use my clown name no matter how I'm dressed. It's worked for me!

In an area that just chock full of gimmick clowns, I found myself being taken more seriously by businesses as a regular person, plus I still get to clown it up with the kids AND I don't have to worry about makeup. It's the best of both worlds.

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 am

I don't have a persona, other than being a makeup artist who also face paints and airbrushes temporary tattoos. I wear black, tie my hair back. That's the extent of my work transformation (for set or events/festivals). I often get asked if I do real tattoos too, and I explain only on characters in a movie/tv show (which so far has been the "right" answer as most adults seem to have an expression of relief after that). All of our team (up to half a dozen of us at some events) is all in black... it works as a uniform for us....
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by helena on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:18 am

I agree with Perry. When I went out as "Sunny the Clown" I was constantly 'on' to maintain the illusion of a separate person - a clown.

I now don't do clowning any more and have started a whole new business, just as me being a face painter - there's still the necessity for professionalism and courteous manner, but you can just be yourself.

I found being a clown was much more tiring to do it well, and required an immense amount of dedication to keep up during an entire gig - especially if it were an all-day, 8 hour thing - no time to be tired, (or maybe to just slouch in a chair for a minute or two with a juice) or stop smiling for a moment.

I admire those who do that and do it well.

I found that there were a lot more requests FOR a clown booking, than just a face-painter.

However, sometimes the children were frightened of clowns at parties (so were some adults Smile)

If the children were frightened of clowns and I was told beforehand, I'd try to persuade the parents that I not come in clown outfit.

If that didn't work then I'd ask that I come in clown costume but put my makeup on in front of them so they could get to know "me" and then see it was just make up (and then find they wanted me to often make them up to look like clowns afterwards, too.)

If that didn't work and the parents STILL wanted a clown, then I'd go with a much simpler makeup (no white face or bulbous nose) and just take things gently until the child saw me interacting with other kids in a kind and warm manner and then they'd often get involved too. (No loud/boisterousness)

It always amazes me how some parents will do things 'for their children' that the children have no desire or wish for.
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by freedspirit on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 am

Razz I think I have all the persona I can deal with! HA... I am wanting to keep things simple,,I am still looking for my perfect work out fit and I guess I am still intriqued with being a fairy,,But if I was I would probably still be ME
freedspirit

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.facecreationz.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:18 pm

it is very rare that I run into children who are REALLY afraid of clowns... not saying it doesn't exist, but there are a lot of things involved. My sister has coulrophobia, it is real, but it is rare. If someone is really phobic, they are not going to stand next to you and say "I'm scared of you." You won't see them, they will be far away and everyone will say, "where is he?"

Some children are uneasy AT FIRST. kneel down... make them taller than you. play shy... make them more brave than you are, but smile and peek at them shyly. don't approach them and encourage parents to let them come to you when they are ready and not push them towards you. Given 20 to 30 minutes and almost EVERY child will join in the fun. Play with the other kids and invite them every once in a while. If they don't want to stand next to you during the games, it's ok, but I've had several times where the one who was screaming and crawling up mom's neck in the first 5 minutes, was hugging me and sitting in my lap for pictures at the end of an hour. A child's fear of the unknown is not a phobia of clowns, it's a safety reflex. A clown is probably something that they have little or no experience with and they need to figure out what is going to happen. Some personality types have a greater need to know what is going to happen than others which is why certain children are more likely to feel uneasy at first.

There is definitely a greater demand for full out clowns than just face painters, I have non-clown personae and there has been increasing interest in my chicken costumed birthday greetings for grown ups.... $50 for 10 minutes of clucking happy birthday at someone works for me Very Happy
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Perry can I just say what a beautiful soul you are and how much respect I have for you and the way you honor children's needs? I love you I love you

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by helena on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:13 pm

I agree with you Sparklyone - it's obvious that you, Perry, truly care for the little ones and their families who you work for; they're lucky to have you Smile
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPainter on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Agreed with Perry on all points. That's a pretty good feeling when that kid makes the switch from scared to not-scared anymore.

Problem is, all the wisdom in the world about how to deal with timid or frightened kids doesn't help you when some idiot parent decides that being scared of the clown is dumb and tries to force the kid into your space.

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Beans on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 am

I AM NOT A FAN OF CLOWNS! but I would make exceptions for Perry and Photomomma! Very Happy

I have been filling in for another FP and totally living in her shadow! SO I stepped up a notch to include a hat (its a whimsical tophat) as the previous FP was known for her flamboyancy! I AM NOT FLAMBOYANT! at any costs, however the hat works and suits my persona just as I am!
Beans

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-09

http://www.madeupbyleona.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:31 am

I am working on becoming more of a fairy. I have almost finished the costume and hopefully this weekend a friend is going to take some proper shots so I can officially introduce Fairy Daizy.

I don't think I will wear this for all events, most likely just for little girls parties. I still going to be myself, just dressed like a fairy... no fairy magic shows or anything.
I have thought about this for quite a while and there are a number of reasons I am trying it out.
A lot of kids, even without a costume have referred to me as a fairy.. maybe its because of my flowers, my colourful flowy skirt, the glitter and face painting on my face, or maybe its just my size (at 5ft 0, I got to make use of that right!)
I think the height thing too might be reason.. I can feel like I am only supposed to be small.... not just some child coming in to paint faces (more my own personal complex)
I am also doing it to create a difference between me and other painters. I want people to remember the face painting fairy Daizy, and have children fall in love with the fairy.

How it will all work out.. who knows, I don't think it is ever going to hurt to have it there as an option.
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skidzz on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Wow.... That is alot to think about!!

Thank you all for your input!! I think the way I was more thinking about it wasn't along the clown lines as more like either like Daizy as fairy, or maybe like a pirate, or something like that. I used to do clowning, juggling, etc when I was younger, and I thought it would be too much to think about while doing face painting, at least for me since I am still a newbie when it comes to the business part of it! I wasn't thinking of a persona as an act so much, as more of something that you are known by. I am not sure if that makes sense.

Which brings up, do you dress like something when you fp? Make up or paint your face? etc???

Thank you all again, its really appreciated!!!
Skidzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:58 pm

I think I get what you mean now- not really creating a persona, but a recognizable personal style or brand. When I paint, I almost always dress up like I am going to a garden party or afternoon tea. This works out easily for me since my "face painting personality" matches my attire. I strive to look whimsical, but not so much that I stick out if I have to dip into the grocery store afterward! It's enough that little girls love it, but the boys aren't put off and the adults still take me seriously. I definately stand out, but not as a "character" which can be limiting in its gender and age group appeal.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 am

As a performer who doesn't have a character to face paint, I can tell you we're always "on" no matter if we have a named character or not. As face painters we do change the way we are in the booth than how we are at home. We have to. Any business does this. When I worked at Xerox people acted in a very different manner to out of it. It's being professional but being that is having a persona.
As a body artists I tell jokes, I chat, I'm silly to make the time in the chair go faster.

In our festival booths we do actually have circus stuff. Our hawkers do them in down time to attract attention. I contact juggle or do short poi. One of our guys is a magician who does card tricks. Another does flower sticks. But that's part of the booth image, not us individually.
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:01 pm

I dont have a costume or persona.... but I do wear these are get lots of comments about them .... lol... Smile

Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 pm

The toe shoes sure are comfy! I saw them everywhere in bethesda before I moved. I love it, wearing shoes and you can still wiggle your toes! =0)
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:35 pm

I have 2 different pairs. love love love them. people always think they would feel funny. I cant stand toe socks, but wearing these shoes really is like going barefoot!

Manabanana

Back to top Go down

Post by Skidzz on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:23 am

Yes Sophie, I think you are getting my meaning...

Those are cool shoes Manna... Are they custom made?? My two middle toes are connected so I would have to if they aren't custom made... lol... They look absolutely up my alley!!! Smile

I think I have decided to try out something like a fairy, and a pirate, kinda put together... I am still trying to figure it out... but why not hit two birds with one stone... Very Happy What do you think?? Especially those of you who go all out for your fp at private parties.
Skidzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 am

Unfortunately they aren't custom made. they are from Vibram and are called FiveFingerShoes and they have hundreds of color schemes.

I'd love to see your idea of a fairy and pirate. (I think I'm not quite awake yet and my imagination is still asleep so I'm having trouble picturing it in my head Smile ) Definitely an awesome idea that reaches out to boys and girls!

I want pics!
Manabanana

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am

Sparklyone wrote:Perry can I just say what a beautiful soul you are and how much respect I have for you and the way you honor children's needs? I love you I love you

aw, you're making me cry! I was a child that was afraid (and still am) of everything ... except clowns, never met any until I was 27 though, so that might matter.... I would have really appreciated if some adults had a little more sympathy over the fact that their dog petrified me and they needed to keep it away from me rather than just telling me that he's "friendly" ... I think it actually helps that my sister is coulrophobic and I have multiple phobias; I know what a legitimate phobia looks like rather than a child that is just doing the same thing that they do in any new situation. Do you say they are "phobic" of dentists because they are uneasy about all the strange things that happen there the first time they ever go? You've got to give them some time and take it slow, not just assume that they are going to immediately love the clown because it's black or white.

And I'm not trying to debate whether or not other painters feel that they are "always on" or not, but I'm willing to bet that you could walk to get something to eat or go to the bathroom without every single person in the park staring at you to see what you're going to do. There are days where I wish I could just put on a golf shirt with a logo on it and call it done, but I love what I do and people don't call for the non-clown stuff in general with me.
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by FUNFACTORY on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:31 pm

this is the most I do -sometimes just my b-ball hat w/ my logo
FUNFACTORY

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://WWW.FUNFACTORYFACEPAINTING.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by FUNFACTORY on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:32 pm

wow!!! that is REALLY big
FUNFACTORY

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://WWW.FUNFACTORYFACEPAINTING.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Nah, I'm just Ashley the Artist.. works for me.
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top