Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Over the whelm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Over the whelm

Post by Lynnie on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:37 am

I'm not complaining. I just want to say that out of the gate.

My business has grown over 300% in the past two months from all of last year and I am overwhelmed. This started as a henna hobby business and has grown so much that I just... It's no longer a hobby, that's for sure.

Physically, it's a lot of work being a "boss" to 7 people, and I am still short staffed (hard to find good people here that don't flake out). The whole accounting/scheduling/putting-the-foot down thing is really new to me, for people outside of my family. It feels weird. They all love working for me but it's odd still and I am constantly wondering if I'm a good boss or not.
We've been approached with opportunities for awesome expansion next year, more than I could have dreamed and hub thinks I should pull myself out of the the festival booths and just let my girls go while I manage from home. Crazy prospects but I wonder if I'd be happy with that. I need to get my paint on, ya know?

We're also expanding in other directions next year. I was going to start a new and completely unrelated business in the fall but I don't think I can now.

Emotionally, frankly, I cried last night. My poor hubby is such a good man. We took a walk and talked. I'm not upset, not in the least. I'm shocked and overwhelmed and that makes me emo. I've so much to do that I don't even know where to start.
I can't believe that these amazing people want to work for me, not just this year but they are planning for next year already. They are helping my baby grow and advance. They believe in it as much as I do. I'm so used to fighting for my arts that this excitement and acceptance, well, I'm so fearful it's fleeting that I feel like I need to do it all now or it's going to be gone. Ya know?

Local businesses are more enthusiastic than I ever would have thought. I'm just...wow. We did a private party where they gushed over the business savvy as much as the art, and then we landed a contract with the owners of a local business to do all the home/garden shows with them. My mind reels over this.

It's good. I'm not bragging. I'm marveling and confused and...overwhelmed.

And here are these people relying on me to give them money to pay bills (they know it's part time and seasonal though). That is a huge responsibility and when I think of it I just GAH!

Then there is the personal stuff. My son has to take summer school because he didn't turn in his homework (omg! grrr). I still need to get to the dr. to get my thyroid tested for cancer (a curable non-spreading form) and I just don't know what else.

When I'm tired I get emo and I think that's what has happened. Supposedly the thyroid thing can screw with that too. I want to chalk it up to that.

Anyone else ever get like this over anything? I feel like a hormonally emo'd teen. Gah!
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Over the whelm

Post by Metina on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am

While it is wonderful that you are growning and expanding, it is important to take a step back to see where you'd like to go with this.

I am sure like many of us, you started doing this to get away from "work" so to speak. If you grow to much you will be miserable. I would take a look at what jobs are the most profitable and the least amount of work and effort. Sometimes we chase down jobs that really are more work than profit. Try to eliminate those if you can.

If it makes you an emotional wreck and takes away from taking care of yourself, what is the worth in that?

Best of luck!
-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Only grow the business as big as YOU want it too....

When it stops being fun, you know you went a step too far...

Sending good vibes for your health concerns...

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks both of you.

This is definitely how big I want it, bigger if I can keep it going. Smile I love what I do and I love my crew and I am sooooo blessed.
I just can't believe it's all hit so hard so fast. In my five year plan we hit the end of year two in 3 months.

I think you are both right in that I need to step back and evaluate if I am having fun, loving it. My hub said the same thing. I told him to ask me that every few months...just so I can be sure. Smile

Thanks so much!
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Congrats on your wonderful success! The nice part to remember whenever you feel stressed or worried, is that you're doing this because you love it and not because you *have* to. Even with employees that does not obligate you to do something you don't love. Follow your heart and enjoy being completely in control of your own business. It is perfectly okay to go back to doing this as a simple hobby or sole-proprieter operation, too, if at any time you feel the need. I love you *****hugs******

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:19 pm

BIG HUGS on the Thyroid issue, I'm going through the same thing, and YES I think it does mess with your emotional state. Not only in the hormone flux way, but also in the "messing with your mind" stressing about it way too. I've had my fair share of meltdowns in the past few months (quit my job, almost ruined a friendship...still not sure if it will recover 100%, and become pretty antisocial) and I'm so emotional about EVERYTHING.
As far as the business growth, I agree with Metina. You got into this business because you WANTED to do it, be mindful of each growth decision and ask youself "is this going in the direction I WANT it to?", and you can always choose to grow at a slower pace.
Again- *HUGE HUGS*
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 pm

First... {{HUGS}}!
Second... Get the thyroid checked. You can't be everything to everyone & certainly can't if you're sick. Take care of your health.
Third... I agree w/ the Metina & your hubby... it's ok to let things slow down, keep it fun & pick the jobs you'll love & not chase the stressful ones.
Fourth... Are you so busy that you could hire someone to take some of the work of your shoulders(management, someone to take calls,take care of the books, etc)?
Relax, if you have that many people trusting in you, you must be doing something right & must be great at it!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum