Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Jitters and Nerve Control

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jitters and Nerve Control

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 am

Ok ya'll know I am pretty new. I have done a few birthday parties and everyone loved it. I was invited to do the Cortland County Fair, which is a HUGE 4 day gig, and it starts on Wednesday. My nerves are so shot it's beginning to make me ACTUALLY sick. Any tips or words you can share to calm me the heck down? Anyone else get first time jitters like this? I mean I am A HOT MESS over here!!!
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jitters and Nerve Control

Post by kat on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am

*s*

I understand!

Just be prepared.. the rest will come.
Make a list of things to take so that there won't be any last minute brain toots... heh...

Then, when you get there, remember.... kids LOVE having their faces painted. Parents LOVE having their kids to be happy.

Take a deep, cleansing breath, and make your mantra "one face at a time"...

What are you nervous about?
The set-up?
The possible crowd?
etc...?

In any case... GOOD LUCK!!
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:22 am

The set up, the crowd, my speed, my work quality. I know I am GOOD, but I am not AWESOME. I STILL haven't made my photo display yet because i dont have any boy models to take pics of. I only have pics of boys from parties months ago, and my painting has evolved so much since then that I don't even do those designs anymore. I just don't feel PREPARED. I wasn't ready for this. When I agreed to this gig, I was under the impression that it was ONE DAY, not FOUR DAYS.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 am

For your designs... last minute idea -

Go to google, and search for "blank faces".. or something like that... run off 10 or so sheets. I am having to do this as I was asked last minute to do a "theme" festival this weekend

Use those sheets to paint your faces on.. display them on some sort of board - or in a book. A board would be better (even foam board - it's in lots of stores).
Sure, it will look 'flat'.. but, hey.. they get the idea!
I'd rather do that than use pictures that I'm unhappy with.

It's a fast fix.... *smile*

Don't forget to take pictures!!!! (which is what I do all the time... I could kick myself ... *LOL)

The set-up - make a list - go early - be ready for the first customer.

The crowd - got a family member or friend that could help you with that?
I've learned to set my table(s) face/glitter up so that they can see the person being painted - not me. BUT, at a distance. Nothing more irritating to me than to have someone bump my tables, or hanging across my shoulder...

Your speed - it will come in time. Do try to select some of your faster faces to view.... don't (as I did) paint yourself in a corner .. as it were... and post the most elaborate pictures because they're the 'prettiest'. Paint what you know! Add a few of the nicer faces....

Work quality - as I said above - take it "one face at a time". Give the person you're working on your best... don't worry about the rest.... *g* ...
If you start feeling crushed, then it may be time to fall back to simpler faces I(removing the pictures that you are struggling with from the board).... just to give yourself a 'break'. You can always add them back when the crowd dies down.. or, you're more comfortable with how things are going.

I'm new at face painting.. but, not new at fairs/festivals.

Don't forget snacks/water/etc.
Don't forget your camera.

DO HAVE FUN! smile

I'm sure there will be others that will post that have tons of experience to help you... that's what I love about this place!

kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you Kat
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Don't think about it too much. We all work ourselves into a tizzy thinking and not doing. Make a list and just start working toward it. As you check off the items the more confident you will get.

You will get through this! I promise. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Also, search for a recent thread where someone actually provided check lists for large events. It is sure to help!

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Metina wrote:Don't think about it too much. We all work ourselves into a tizzy thinking and not doing. Make a list and just start working toward it. As you check off the items the more confident you will get.

You will get through this! I promise. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Also, search for a recent thread where someone actually provided check lists for large events. It is sure to help!

Thanks! Yes I love that list. I copied it and added a few items of my own.

Metina, about how fast is shipping from the forum shop (I live in ny)? I might break down and but a couple rainbow cakes since I don't think I am going to have time to make one with everything else I have to do.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by FlashM on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:01 pm

You don't have to have photos for your board. You are a painter! My boards are hand painted.

I drew face shaped ovals and simple mouth, eyes and nose with a black sharpie on a beige foam core board and painted the designs on the blank faces with acrylic paint. You could probably use your face paint too.

Fill in the spaces between the faces with extra cheek designs.

Protect the board, especially if you use face paint, with a piece of plexiglass from the craft store.
FlashM

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 pm

FlashM wrote:You don't have to have photos for your board. You are a painter! My boards are hand painted.

I drew face shaped ovals and simple mouth, eyes and nose with a black sharpie on a beige foam core board and painted the designs on the blank faces with acrylic paint. You could probably use your face paint too.

Fill in the spaces between the faces with extra cheek designs.

Protect the board, especially if you use face paint, with a piece of plexiglass from the craft store.

I might end up having to do that. It's not my PREFERRED method, but it's certainly a great idea to use in a pinch! Thanks for the tip!
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by FlashM on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm pretty proud of mine. It actually looks better than many of the flimsy paper photocopy collage boards I've seen.

I got about a dozen full faces on each poster size board and many cheek images scattered in-between. You can even add the odd profile for your cheek designs that extend down the neck.

Hint: Make an oval face-shaped paper stencil about 4" wide to trace so you get all the ovals the same size.
FlashM

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:16 pm

FlashM wrote:I'm pretty proud of mine. It actually looks better than many of the flimsy paper photocopy collage boards I've seen.

I got about a dozen full faces on each poster size board and many cheek images scattered in-between. You can even add the odd profile for your cheek designs that extend down the neck.

Hint: Make an oval face-shaped paper stencil about 4" wide to trace so you get all the ovals the same size.

Sounds great! Would you mind sharing a pic? I would love to see it.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by FlashM on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Ok -ran back to guest room and shot a quick pic....Here you go. This is my Fourth of July board.

Photobucket" alt="" />

Last edited by FlashM on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlashM

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Hey! That's cool! Nice job, FlashM! I love it.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by FlashM on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Aw shux. Thanks!
But you can see this works. There is a triangular easel in the back so it can stand.

To make a boy's face, square the jawline a little and beef up the eyebrows.
FlashM

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:10 pm

All packages go priority which is 2-3 days. I don't normally ship on Saturday, but will be doing so tomorrow. So if you order tonight it should get there by Tuesday or Wednesday. I am in WV.

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Just another note Smile

I used to show cocker spaniels at dog shows, and you wanna talk about stage fright??? I would puke before I went in the ring >.<

One thing I found that really helped was bach's rescue remedy. It's a flower essence remedy (similar to homeopathy) and you can get it at the health food store. Might be helpful for ya the day of or when you get those massive panic moments Smile

I've been using it to deal with my wedding anxiety!!

Trina
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Nerves are our bodies way of giving us an edge..... when I think things are going great for preparation for an event and I'm relaxed, it makes me *more* nervous and stressed...... I compensate by overpacking - putting more in the car (like a tent, extra table etc even if one is being supplied) than I really need - making sure that whatever happens, I have the means to deal with it.... I also do things early - like putting on sunscreen before leaving the house - I can always put on more later if I have time, but if I get it on before I leave, then it isn't on my mind that I could forget it....
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:57 pm

The other thing you can do is a word design board. With Tiger, Cat, Batman, Princess, etc on it. Someone posted about on the boards a while ago. That way you don't have to worry about the designs not being the same as the photo. Also if it's busy you can make face more basic or more complex it slower.
Once you start painting and get in the zone you'll be fine. Don't worry about the line just the face in front of you.
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 am

Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind thoughts, my wonderful and talented friends. Festival day has arrived. Please send me a prayer or some calming yet energetic energy and vibes.

Lord, grant me the calmness to have a steady hand, the energy to stay on my feet, and the power to not slap the heck out of the kid who wiggles like a marionette every time I put the brush near his face!
LOL

I will let ya'll know how it goes!
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by vivi_o7 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 am

jaja, so funny but realy you will never trust in your nerves, every time you fell its the first!!!, but we all must be relax and trust in what we know best, the must frustrading situation it was when a mum came in a birthday and ask me just to draw something in the 2 years old boy, he looks a little scare of the brushes so to try to make him fell a comfortable I switch for an stencil and a sponge but he was terrify and the other mums where looking at us, I just said "its ok maby next time he looks uncomfortable" but she insist and insist, I just give the sponge to the kid who was in a stroller and an other stencil and let him play with in my arm, he calm down and then I made some rainbow stars at his leg, but I tell you sometimes the parents don't undertand their childs you can never push a child to do somethingf they don't fell good with. pirat
vivi_o7

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2011-02-11

http://fancydesigns.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 am

vivi i had a similar situation at a party last week, this lady was practically forcing her kid to get painted. I handed him a brush and let him paint all over my arms until he realized that it was fun and it didn't hurt... then he let me do spiderman on his arm.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Don't worry! Once you see those kids look in the mirror, your nerves will melt away Smile It's like a drug to me! LOL I didn't think I was very good at first, but you have to realize that most people think of face painting as a simple cheek art design like a heart or cross. People are so surprised when you are finished Smile

Metina I was so suprised to see you are only 45 minutes from me!!! Smile
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 am

I do love their smile when I am done. I had no problems at parties, was just flipping about my first fest. It seemed a lot different than say, craft fairs (which I do all the time, but the product is right in front of them, unlike face painting.) Aaaanyway.... apparently I do just fine at festivals too. Smile It was awesome.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by staysilly on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:27 am

My first post on here a few months ago was exactly like yours, how to get past the stress factor.

Only a few months and a few birthdays later and the only butterflies I have are the excitment ones, I just want to be painting already!

love it!!!!!!!!!
staysilly

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 am

I used to get so freaked out by people watching me paint.. I would literally start shaking! I couldn't control my hands at all.. ugh.

But.. that was a long time ago. I've been at this for 7 years now, and nothing really makes me flinch anymore. After standing in front of a room of other face painters to teach(literally the scariest thing EVER) nothing seems so bad anymore!

Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top