Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Venting a sad emotion, slight insomnia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Venting a sad emotion, slight insomnia

Post by Taradoodles on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:07 am

Because of recent discussions I feel that Im not as creative as I thought I once was. That maybe trying to make this into a business is a futile effort and I should stick to strictly volunteer work with tips. My website does not seem as flashy, I cant find the time to practice designs to make them my own, I do not have a professional set up/display, people are turning me down because of price issues and no matter how hard I seem to try my hand at painting they come out crummy and unfinished looking.
I think Ive entered a slump, which is bad in itself considering I have only been asking for payment for paintings for about 4 months now. Before that I believe I did better work and didnt worry about much of anything except finding a place to volunteer. I enjoy painting so much, why cant I just paint and leave the rest of these worries to float away? Its so hard to find a direction and stick to it without causing some rift.

...look at me now. Im now a certified ninny and whinning about it. I need to get rid of insomnia and soon. I get to thinking to much I guess. Wallowing around in muck dosent make it any better. No Maybe its an Eeyore Illness? Ho Hum....

This is my mawmaw's saying:
Your little rock just needs to be polished, this is just part of the journey. Others are born shiny and do not need to be polished but need to learn scuffs.

No, Im not fishing for compliments- I do think outside the box sometimes, its just getting that point across it gets lost along the way. Yes, Im venting a sad emotion and no comments are required.
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Venting a sad emotion, slight insomnia

Post by Jody Rife on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:55 am

Sorry, gotta comment. Smile Just be the best You, that You can be. I love the shiny rock saying, how true it is. Some of us need more polish and we will never be just like others but we can be OUR best.

I've always struggled with thoughts like this in other areas of my life. I have always battled eating disorders all my life. As a young adult, I finally came to the conclusion, "There is always going to be someone prettier, someone thinner,smarter..etc. BIG Fat deal." I like me.

Now I find that I have to apply the same thought process to my artwork. Am I the best? Not by a verrrrrry big longshot!! But , I like what I do. cheers

Love your cute little Avatar by the way!
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am

whoa now! Tara! not creative? futile? have you lost your mind, my friend?

Your work is fantastic and you will get better and better the more you do it. Practice on the neighborhood kids. Practice on yourself. VERY few of us are lucky enough to pick this up and be perfect at it immediately. Things take time.

Your website isn't as flashy? Seriously, that's your concern? It doesn't need to be flashy, it needs to provide information to prospective clients, which it does. If you want a fancier one, go to wix or webs or one of the other free sites and use a template.

Pricing issues? Are you ONLY doing birthday parties? Try a festival or a restaurant, maybe? What is your competition charging? Have you looked for your competition? She is out there, Find her. Check her prices. Don't charge more than she does.

You dont have a professional display... these things cost either a lot of time and creativity, or money. I know you have creativity. You know what I used for my display? A vinyl window shade. Yeah. Glued photo sleeves to it that I tore out of an old photo album. Come on Tara, you can do this. You are brilliant and creative and everyone knows it.

Can I also mention that you are an awesome person? Does this have no bearing? I say it does. I read your comments on here. You are smart, kind and a good friend.

I read your testimonials! People love you. Looks like you get a nice amount of business.

Do not give up. Do not do not. Things WILL start to go your way. I promise.

MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyamaldo119 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 am

Honey, attitude is everything. I have seen some crappy painting work and those people get bookings because they don't retreat, they are determined to make things happen and keep selling themselves. Your work is nice so you already have an advantage you just need the attitude to go with it. You can still do some volunteer work to get your practice in but don't sell yourself short. You are not horrible and you can be successful with this. You don't need a flashy website. It just needs to be clean and easy to read with a slide show of your pictures. All people want to see is what you offer and how much. You will get people that will turn away because of price because we are in a recession and everyone is trying to cut back which is why all that extreme couponing mess is so big right now but when people want to make their kids birthday a special event they will find the money, trust me. My sons first birthday I said I was only going to spend $100, I ended up spend about $300. It was my babys first! And I did it again for his second. A parent can't help it. As far as work looking unfinished, it is amazing what magical powers dots, little starburts and highlight lines have when trying to pull together a piece. If you love painting then paint. whether it's for free or for pay but don't be discouraged because your are talented and capable enough to make things happen.
tanyamaldo119

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.misstanyasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyamaldo119 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:27 am

By the way, for a photo display at birthday parties I use a binder with pictures taped to construction paper inside clear protective sheets and at fesivals and bigger events I use a few of these http://www.michaels.com/16-Opening-Vinyl-Collage-Frame/fr0567,default,pd.html?cgid=products-framing-collage&start=23.

You don't need fancy shmancy stuff. Keep it simple.
tanyamaldo119

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.misstanyasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffinblue on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 am

There is always more to learn and fancier displays to invest in, but simple DOES work! No time for practice? Doodle every spare minute, while on the phone, waiting in drs offices, on your break at work or whatever. I invented new butterflies doing just that! That's where originality will come in:). The painting will just keep getting better!
You have it in you, the heart of a face painter sunny
Griffinblue

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Moon on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:13 am

While it may be true that you are a rock in need of a bit of polish with not much time for practice at least you know this and as such will indeed improve as you go.

I know I need lots of practice and polishing. I also know being around all these talented artists in this forum is not only intimidating but can give you a false sense of the level of skill needed to be in business. It is easy to think you will never be good enough to compete with some of these artists. Lucky for most of us we don't have to. It can also help to cruise the net or your local markets and see the truly awful face paint that people have paid for out there.

Amy Moon

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://www.hennaluna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:43 am

Good lord girl, get a grip! No matter how experienced we are we all pretty much paint the same in the trenches. As long as you are ENJOYING IT don't compare yourself to ANYONE!!

And trust me, originality is NOT a requirement on the job. If you knew how many kitties and skulls I painted this past weekend at a festival.....!!!!! Mad

I always tell my students that as long as you can paint about 10 standard faces to an acceptable "What is it?" level then you are cabable of going out there and offering your services to the public for pay.

As for set-up... sure, I have table top units, but I got one for free (non-profit I worked for changed colours!) one I made, and most of the time I use a binder with pages I printed on my computer! And if it is too windy... there is NOTHING on display, not even a list of words!

As for feeling your work looks "unfinished"... what exactly is it that you think it is missing? I always feel that white dots, stars or a few highlights will change a flat looking design into something that makes the moms go "oh wow she's good..." Rolling Eyes That and gold lips (Kryolan Interferenze Bronze)

As for the website... flashy? Not important. Contact info and some samples... that's the main thing.

And don't stress about the price issue... as long as you are charging a realistic rate and are booking a percentage of the inquiries. I would say that out of every ten inquiries I get for birthday parties than only two actually book... people have expectations of what the fees will be and if I am higher there is sticker shock, if I am lower they book immediately. And I am priced WAY higher than other painters here (the clown that face paints charges more but she offers magic, balloons, games AND face painting in one hour???)

So relax, have fun, and enjoy it... it is about what YOU find fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:47 am

Tara..... deep breath.... every single person on this forum I am sure has felt this way one time or another. Doesnt mean we suck.

Means we try harder. That is why we challenge ourselves here, and post our work and ask for feedback.

You are great, awesome even for the ammount of time you have invested in this vocation.

It isnt always easy, it can be exspensive. (I'm with you there.....)

But you can do it! The seasoned artists here are proof we can all do it.

Head up high. (I think this might have been a pep talk for myself too.... Very Happy )

Thinking of you and sending awesomeness vibes and hugs. flower
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:48 am

Shannon...you're the best. Very Happy
Manabanana

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Wow. I... Oh wow. This community is outstanding.

Taradoodles, I checked out your gallery and your website and I actually really like it! I love how you thank people right away for their interest, and how on each new page you write as though you are talking to the viewer. It feels warm.
I love all of the bright colours and links in your paragraphs. I love the diversification in all of the paintings... not the same ol' thing over and over. And I LOVE the hotdog!!! It was so well done and super cute.
It did take a long time to get through the photos in your website gallery. Is there an option for you to add it as a slideshow?

I agree with all of the pearls of wisdom above... and pearls they are! I think you should bookmark this page and re-read it when you have a 'downer' day.

I don't have as much experience getting paid for my work as you (all) do, but I'm getting there. I'm doing a lot of researching, looking into insurance, business cards, website, set up items, biz name, checking and re-checking my confidence...
I think that as someone else alluded to, this forum can be a double-edged sword. We are able to share and learn so much here, but we are all different levels of artists and it would be oh-so-easy to compare ourselves... Except we are all at a different stage in our journey, so that would be unrealistic to compare. Everybody has to learn stuff. The day we stop learning...? Yikes. I don't ever want to be there. I hope to be great one day at many, many things, but I also hope I'll always find something new to learn or improve.

I wish I could give you a big ol' squish... where's the 'hug' button on here?? I love you

As I said, I don't have much to add to the very intelligent and logical advice already given except to reinforce the love.

Unless you need a huge kick in the pants... /Bump. Then consider yourself kicked. clown

And Jody, here's a hug for you too.... I love you That's a very difficult concept for so many people to truly believe in (myself included) but what an epiphany when it hits you!! There's nobody just exactly like me, and no one that can be ME quite like I can. There's a certain pride in that.

[quote="Jody Rife"] I've always struggled with thoughts like this in other areas of my life. I have always battled eating disorders all my life. As a young adult, I finally came to the conclusion, "There is always going to be someone prettier, someone thinner,smarter..etc. BIG Fat deal." I like me. quote]

And it's so true. Something I heard Oprah say once about everyone being on a different journey; everyone has their own things to learn; can't judge/don't know what their path is or has been; focus on self, can't compare to others.... It's just all about perception.

I'm off to try to graduate as an MT on time. Wish me luck. I need to stop getting sucked in to the FP vortex! Aaaahhhh! Arrow
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Oh Tara, you sound very sad. And you are always so happy and warm to everybody. This isn't about your painting only I think. You found a warm place on this forum to be among friends and maybe you feel a bit worried because of some threads and now you think you are not good enough? I don't want to miss you on this forum. You're always kind to anybody and have funny posts.
You just moved, your husband has a new job. Lots of changing in your personal life. This forum is a nice place to be.

Don't doubt your paintings. I remember your terminator, dolphin, bug, steampunk watch (I liked that one very very much). They are all so creative. And it is right, you improved very much. Wasn't it you telling us about the daycare 'paying' you a month for every hour? See?
((((((((Hugs)))))))))
nancy!

Number of posts : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Oh Kirsten. I agree with you. I like your wording.
It is hard for me to write in English. I haven't enough words to express myself exactly, so it may sound a little 'formal'.
nancy!

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Nancy, what a generous thing to say! Thank you.
I am a sucker for a genuine compliment!

I think your English is eloquent and beautiful. I cannot boast knowing another language, except a smattering of French. So I admire it when someone can learn a whole other language...especially when it is English which is very complicated and full of tricks and traps!

I also rather enjoy the 'formal' bit, and I think you perfectly captured what you wanted to express in your chosen words. Don't sell yourself short.

I am sending a big hug to you too for such a nice compliment! I love you
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Very Happy Thanks!
nancy!

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah, Nancy, I thought you were totally fluent!

See? Tara doubts her paintings, you doubt your English. We all have self-perceived "imperfections". I know I have plenty of my own.

We're all awesome here. There is just no way around it.
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm

I just saw this, was floored by it's simplicity, logic, and good sense. Had to share.
Hope it's large enough to read...?

[img][/img]

Jeez, and speaking of copyright issues, it was on FB, not sure who owns the rights, or how awful it is that I'm sharing it here, but it's a good message so I'll take the chance.
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Kirsten.... I LOVE IT!
Manabanana

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:47 pm

This is why I love this forum. You're soooo helpful and warm and you're always there with the right words (wich my limited English doesn't allow me to say). Thanks to be my voice because all of you have said what I wanted to say: we all have down days and need to be reminded how wonderful we are.
Tara, We need your warmth and kindness at this forum. I love you I love you

And, like someone above said, WHERE'S THE HUG BUTTON?
Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Tara, Don't worry about comparisons, etc. That'll just hold you back. Be the best you can be, have fun & enjoy yourself. I'm always working hard to make sure I don't lose the joy in my work & my job. If I feel like I'm losing that joy, then I re-evaluate what my goals are & what's steeling my love of face painting.
I always try to remember that there will always be someone better than me & that's ok. I'm very happy w/ what I do!
Have fun & relax & just paint!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Thank to all of your for your words, I didnt expect to cause a landslide! But thank you for it. I have been stewing over two days and reading, not saying anything but thinking. I rethought alot of things and a lightbulb went off today.
Im not a business person. I was much, much much happier telling people I can come and volunteer and not worrying about prices or paperwork, or advertising and all that. I think Im going to try to stick with that even though being the 'hobby mom' is frowned upon- it is whats going to work for me. I enjoy having the better paints and set ups though, and will probably make enough in donations and tips to off set the cost...maybe. LOL either way I think that is how I will handle it and what was causing me to stress and start really doubting.
I would rather be painting then people and places turning me down because they cant afford me. I wasnt even charging what the going rate is! A FP an hour away (my driving limit) charges $75 and come here to festivals all the time. Anywho, I am dropping back down to cover my costs and just volunteer my time. If I make over, yaya!! Im (going to try my hardest anyways) not to stress though, life IS to short. If Im not out for money then I wont worry about making money, or get so nervous that I MUST do better or whatnot. Its a different mindset for me. I believe I will paint much better.

I had to turn down someone tonight. A big oppurtinity in fact. I went to a Suessical theater show for Eries SUmmer Theater program, they had 100 kids in cast. I was talking to a lady sitting behind me and my daughter and she was revealed later to be the director! She asked me to come to their picnic tomorrow and paint, then if I would be interested in painting the faces for the following years show. They havent had a painter in along time.
I said I would most certainly, but I couldnt paint tomorrow I had plans. Personal plans. I felt horrible and was stressing for over an hour on which to do- dump my friend or give up (what I think) is a great oppurtunity
I decided NOT to dump my friend last minute because we been planning two weeks, last chance we can go, bought our tickets, im painting us tomorrow
Im just hoping the director will understand and still call next time she thinks of me.
its a tough descion but I had to apply my new thought process to it. I cant dump one thing because another great one comes along or Ill be ticking everyone off in the end. I need to look out for myself some to and hope karma treats me well.

whoa, lots of type! typos and bad grammar abound. I am a horrible typer, but I type just like I talk. If you knew me you would understand. Sorry for babbling but I wanted to thank you again for your words, I am saving these for rainy days to come. I want a hugs button to. thanks.
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:24 am

Tara, the point is doing whatever makes you happy and who cares. I don't frown on hobby moms. What cool moms they are ....they get to do something magical and share it with kids. I have encouraged moms.. one because 99% of them won't pic it up as a business and who are we to say their kid doesn't get a fp because their parents can't afford one. I couldn't afford an entertainer for my sons party. Anywho totally different subject. Just know you are good enough to get paid your value. Make sure you won't resent the work by doing it for less than its worth. Remember that volunteer work leads to busy lines and what I can "production line painting" so at least volunteer at some smaller places that allow you that creative freedom to grow and develop your craft.

I once felt I would rather get paid less than not get a gig. Now I say if they can't afford x amount than forget it, it isn't worth taking me from my family. Every evening I paint for free is an evening with my family I miss that I can't get back.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top