Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Just Getting Out There

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just Getting Out There

Post by PatB on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:23 pm

I've been TRYING to get the courage to get out there and face paint! I seem to have some sort of block in preventing me from just getting out there! It's been a few years... yes, years. Smile I used to do balloons and was very critical of my work and wouldn't do a sculpture until I had perfected it. I tend to be overly critical of my work and lack the confidence to just do it! I see what my friends are doing and I can't even BEGIN to do what they can do. All my friends are VERY supportive and think that my work is good, but how do I get the confidence?
PatB

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Just Getting Out There

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Well... to be blunt. Get over it.

Face painting is a fun thing that most kids and parents just have fun with, they aren't looking for a masterpiece.

Painting on the job is different than painting at home for photos - I'm sure most of us paint a bit differently when we are under the gun without the luxury of time.

Just do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Absolutely!!!! What I do at home on an actual canvas, is entirely different than what I do on a HUMAN canvas.

Why not try volunteering for a few places? Maybe a daycare? Local YWCA? What about your local churches? Do you have children? Are they involved in groups of some kind?

Once you do a few volunteer sessions, I think you would start to develop some confidence in your abilities. Why, because they will ask you to come back, so you know it's based on your skills. Smile

Good Luck & practice practice practice!!!!!
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm

The first time will definitely be the hardest so just know that it gets easier! MAKE yourself do it this first time. You owe it to yourself.
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:18 am

Find a few kids you can paint, and their joy and excitement about your painting will boost your confidence!
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:13 am

I'm in the same boat. I've even taken my set out with me...and was too nervous to actually try to use it lol. We should make a pact Wink.
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 am

I feel your pain. When I first started, I didn't have any willing victims...er, I mean paintees Wink to practice on, so my very first gig, I just went out there and did it.

After the first couple of faces or so, you realize that, pretty much no matter WHAT or HOW you do, kids are going to LOVE it.

I was also lucky enough that when I first started painting, NO ONE had seen a full face in my area, so they were wowed enough that I wasn't just doing a small heart on their child's face, and I think a lot of face painters still have that luxury, especially in smaller and/or rural areas. If you're one of those painters, really relax, you're going to knock their socks off!

In re: the painting at home....so....I've never actually done painting that wasn't at an event (i.e. I've never done the uber elaborate stuff while waiting hanging out at home or at a jam), and I'm very jealous of those of you who have willing models. Somehow I've never quite been able to get the hang of painting my own face (and, yes, I'm make-up challenged as well). ::fingers crossed:: that I'll be able to make it to FABAIC on the road in October to finally get a chance to play!
Heather

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-07-10

http://www.manhattanmasqueradenyc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PatB on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions! I just needed a shove. Very Happy

I've volunteered for a foster family picnic at the end of the month.

I also had a face painting jam at my house this week and found out that I'm not that bad. lol!

So, I'm off to practice, practice, practice! Thanks, everyone!

PatB.
PatB

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Good for you! Let us know how it goes! cheers
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 pm

It is something we all go through and rest assured it will pass. Just keep in mind that glitter, dots and stars cover almost any boo boo.

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: