Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Business op v.s. Volunteerism

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Business op v.s. Volunteerism

Post by By These Hands on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 pm

So today, I signed my daughter up for gymnastic class. They then told me that they were having a haunted house event in order to raise money to buy supplies like new mats and the like. They were soliciting the parents to volunteer wherever possible. My business bulb went on and I got to thinking that I could somehow be involved with my face painting. The problem is, I know that they are trying to raise money and I would love to help because it benefits them and my daughter, however, if I volunteer to paint, I'm coming out of pocket for my supplies. How do I present it in such a way that they make money and I recover the cost for my supplies? I don't want to seem like I'm not trying to be a team player but business is business. How should I proceed? Thanks.
By These Hands

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Business op v.s. Volunteerism

Post by Manabanana on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 pm

TRADE!!! I do it with my daughter gym/dance classes sometimes. Take a % off my tuition and I will paint no cost to you.
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 pm

HaHa! I just posted a thread about trade! This would be a perfect trade. You trade the value of your services at their full hourly rate. Rather than pay you, they let your child have the classes for free. I've traded for restaurant gift certificated & other small things. I just traded for a year of pest control for a 2 hour business picnic!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPainter on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:56 pm

Depends how big an event it is. If its a multi day thing with a huge commitment, then if look at a tradeoff. But if its just a one shot deal it might be worth it just for community goodwill and some promotion. That's how I'd do it anyway. Face paints don't cost THAT much. And its being involved with your kid too. Can't put a price on that.

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by By These Hands on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 am

Doing a trade sounds really good but I don't even know how to approach them with the idea. I'm new to the gym and I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. On the other hand, like I said before, business is business.
It is a two day event on a Friday and Saturday and I don't know how the crowd will be. I don't even know if they have had face painters in the past. Should I give her a call or write a letter with my idea of a trade? Soooo much involved when you have your own business......I need a manager myself.....
By These Hands

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:43 am

I call them to feel them out for the idea and if they are in agreement about the value of your offer, I'd follow up with a written contract that outlines the trade that is taking place (nothing like a change of management to send you back to square one.).

While the cost of materials doesn't amount to much for the event, the cost of your time does. That is the exact reason that i wouldn't chock it up as a good volunteering opportunity...the parents and other business associates WILL catch wind of your "free status" and it could turn into a marketing nightmare instead.

Just make sure that you get the agreement in writing.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by imelda99 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 pm

I am also volunteering at my daughters school for a carnival they will be having in March. They had asked me if i was giving them a discount or doing it for free? Since my other daughters school had told me they had high school volunteers that they didnt want to pay for something they get for free. So i did not want to risk the same thing and told them i could do it for free if I was allowed to pass out my business cards. Because that way i get more bookings if they like my work and can end up making more money in the longrun. Very Happy I see it as a win win situation.
imelda99

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-01-18

http://www.wix.com/imelda99/smiling-faces-by-imelda

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:16 pm

While I understand your concerns about not doing it for free, you may have just shot yourself in the foot by lowering their perception of your value. I paint for my son's alma mater and they pay me a materials fee and when I send them the contract it indicates the value of the booking and the amount of discount. They have never called me back to do anything for free and the word of mouth that they have spread about me has resulted in other school district jobs where they are expecting to pay me.

I personally, when faced with the question of whether I'd paint for free or give them a discount, would've given them a deep discount just so that they don't get in their minds that professional face painting is free. You don't want to be lumped in the same category with the High School volunteers, it's a hard type cast to break free from.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by imelda99 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:38 pm

@Lady Jade: I did tell them i could give them a discount and left her my business card anyways, but she said they didnt want to pay for something she knew they were getting for free. Exclamation If i could pass out my business cards while i wait for my daughter to get out i would but we are not allowed to get out of our cars to get them afterschool we just drive by and they put them in our cars so this is my easiest way to get business close to home.
imelda99

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:17 pm

I have to disagree, they are NOT getting the same thing. They are getting high school kids who do something that is not professional. Before I started my business, I would volunteer at our school, that is how I got hooked, I hated the crappy crayons they used, and went looking for something better. I found it! Got them to purchase the materials, and I started learning what to do. We did charge, and while it was simple, it was pretty good. Fast forward a year. They brought in extra people high school art students to help me, and they were not interested in learning the designs. They painted all kinds of really bad stuff. It is not at all what you are offering them.

Fast forward to this year. My city wanted me to "help" with the free face painting at our 4th of July. They gave me a budget to buy good quality paints, and I came up with some very simple designs with stencils, and then instead of painting, I trained and helped the volunteers. In exhange, I got to put up my banners, and hand out my cards, and the signs said that I sponsored and trained them...it was much better that way.

I would offer to train the high school kids and get the school to supply the paint, that you go out and get for them so that they don't have garbage. Then, make it simple, and when you do step in to help with something, you really look fabulous, and, you get more chances to hand out your cards.

I have found too, that there are some organizations that really value the discount I give to 501c3's. They are actually happy to pay the discounted rate when they see how much they saved.

I would rethink it...keep your value, and demand for your services, high.
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:50 pm

What I do with my daughters' school for their Winter Walkthrough is charge per face and the school gets a percentage. People coming know that it is a fundraiser and will bring their money, especially if they know that you will be there.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by imelda99 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:01 am

I will have to see if I can try something like what you'll are saying lets hope they change their mind. Thank you for the advice. Very Happy
imelda99

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm

I've done the teaching students for a project graduation when my daughter as in it. Since it was a small school what the kids didn't spend going out all night they each got over a 400 check and that's less money out of my pocket for college. I do an event the first week of Aug. every year for 2 charities. It was originally for the publicity but their not good as the told me on the publicity side so I keep 10 % and split the rest for the 2 charities. This is in clown week so it's a week set aside for clowns to do things for their community.
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Don't feel squeemish about proposing a deal... the worst that can happen is they say no. Approach them with confidence and they will see you as a professional who knows her worth (even if they say no). Maybe something like...

I'm a professional face painter and I think face painting would be a great way to help raise funds. I'd be happy to come and paint, but because of the cost to me, I'd like to be able to work something out that could benefit us both...

Maybe that could help get the conversation started?
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Monna (sounds like Donna) on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:41 pm

what i have seen for fundraisers...is you charge per face...then give them a percent of that money...I saw one who gave 30 per cent...might try that...
Monna (sounds like Donna)

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://www.youravon.com/monnablack

Back to top Go down

Post by imelda99 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:55 pm

So my daughters carnival was this past friday. I didnt do the facepainting for it since i had explained they didnt want to pay me. But i did paint my daughters face before we went over there. Very Happy Everyone loved it, even though mine do not look like mostly everyones on here, it looked way better then the ones they did at the school. One of the teachers asked if they got their face paint done at the school and my hubby told him no that I (his wife) did it. So he asked why didnt i volunteer to do there. We explained that I did and that they said they didnt want to pay for something they could get for free. An he said exaclty what "a facepainting mom" said, "this is not the same as what free is". Very Happy so he got one of my business cards and said if i would offer a discount to the school and he was going to talk to them to get me in next year. cheers I told him of course.
imelda99

Back to top Go down

Post by HazyDaze on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Way to go, imelda! cheers Even though you didn't end up getting the job this time, it still seems like a win for you. That was such a great idea to paint your daughter's for the event as comparison to what they were offering for free. Kudos to you!
HazyDaze

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Cheeky on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:48 pm

I offered to do so me volunteer face painting at a local art gallery. They have scheduled me for two events. I plan to put out a TIPS jar to help cover the cost of the supplies, at least, thats how I'll propose it! Hopefully, I'll make some extra for my time as well. I am a new business though and really this is an opportunity for me to give out some cards and get some practice in.
Just Cheeky

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-12-30

http://justcheekyfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top