Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Too much stuff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Too much stuff

Post by Creations on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:01 am

Hi guys,

I was watching at tutorial today and the person said that less is more basically and saves time. Dont care anyone that 1 glitter, dont display photos other that PPF, minamalise.. to maxamise, what are your thoughts and why? They had so very good points for why they didnt carry/show things. $$$ and enjoyment rememeber thats why we are all here!!
Creations

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://creationsfaba.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Too much stuff

Post by Laurie Shoultz on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:23 pm

I am as addicted to trying new paints , brushes, and glitters as I am to face painting itself.

As I have begun to get more gigs, the advice to downsize has been so helpful in many situations. Example: The time is up, the gig is over, I have so much stuff I can't pack quickly. Then here come the adults "I was just wondering, could you paint me, and me and me and.. bounce ..just one more me". You have to get out quick sometimes. Now its open my kit...paint....times up........close my kit. then dump water. say thank you and goodbye. cheers

I still find a way to change my kit according to the situation that way I can use all my cool stuff,just not all a once. Once bitten,twice shy. No

by the way I love your avitar pic.
Laurie
Laurie Shoultz

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Everyone has an opinion... you know what they say right?

Personally, I've reduced what I take over the last few years. If I'm not using something in my kit, I take it out. There is no point in carrying it if I'm not using it.

It is possible to work with five colours of paint (red, yellow, blue, white and black... because you can MIX your own colours! Shocked ), some sponges, some brushes... but, that would be boring wouldn't it?

There is no RIGHT way to do anything, it is only about what YOU want to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:41 pm

I've never heard of anyone who voluntarily downsized that was unhappy with the result. I will not buy more paint, brushes, sponges etc. than will fit in my small tool box. If it doesn't fit, I don't need it. A fatmax is at least 10 times bigger than anything I'll ever need...that's just too much stuff for me.

This applies to every aspect of life, not just FBP. I make it my mission to get along with as little as possible....small house (paid for), small car (paid for), small clothing wardrobe (paid for), small amount of household furnishings (paid for), simple local vacations (paid for), See a pattern here? I'm the only person I know my age who is completely out of debt. All because I follow this mindset. Try downsizing, you'll be happy you did.

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:16 pm

I like to have a lot of color options, but I don't drag around stuff I don't use. I have a fatmax, and love that I can put everything I could ever want or need in it.

Even with the extra space, I don't drag around things I don't use. For example, I only have 1 glitter in my case.

I use the wolfe containers that stack. So i usually put ones I don't use too frequently on the bottom. That way I don't even have to get them out if I don't need them for something. But they are there if I want them. If I find I'm not using something as much as I should, I usually, chop it up into a split or rainbow cake that I would get more use of.

HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:51 pm

I have had to limit myself to my space--switch out colors I don't use as much/make split cakes out of them--or save them for that type of gig I will need them for. One thing I have noticed, though--that you have to have a happy balance. A client likes to see you equipped to impress. Neat & tidy, organized & with what you need, plus some.
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm trying to keep my party setup to the suitcase and one bag. The tent setup is obviously everything and the kitchen sink! (Which is why I don't like camping!) It's hard though, really tempting to buy collections (like all of the TAG pearls)

I figure if I can't do at least 5 things with my cakes/colors then it doesn't deserve to be in my kit. I was debating whether to buy a tan color for monkeys because I was afraid that it wouldn't be used otherwise but I think I can use it for dogs and cats and bears and giraffes.

I even had to stop myself from buying a bunch of cute stencils for glitter. I want a good selection but I also need to rotate what I've already got. I decided that we would keep our "old" stuff and try to use it at the corporate event this weekend and then "reward" ourselves with the new designs for pay-per-face events.

D.

Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I started singing "Bear Necessities" from the Jungle Book while reading this...

I had such a small kit for so long, I have a hard time remembering to use the fancier colors... even metallics! I just repotted my paints into smaller containers hoping for more convenience and efficiency and maybe I'll start using the fancy ones.

"If you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gisrus on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I truly believe less is more. Packing up after a gig is just a lot quicker. Great tip I got from another face painter. If you're stuck with something you don't really use, come up with a design to use it up. You won't be buying it again.

Gis

Gisrus

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-07-26

http://www.facepainting-ireland.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 pm

My fat max is not only my carry all for doing large jobs and festivals but it serves as my in home FP storage. So it either fits in the fat max or I don't have it. I refuse to store or have FP supplies anywhere else in my house. When I close up my Fatmax it all goes away. For smaller jobs I have a great wheeled scrapbooking case.

Although to some it may appear that i have alot....I use everything I have and it stays organized (it has to or i would go crazy) I think by being very organized that's why it doesn't take me long to set-up or break down

ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 am

I agree with the point Anniel made that a client likes to see you equipped. I recently purchased a fatmax to put all my equipment in. It's heavy as anything, but it looks quite professional when it is all opened up and on display. People like to have a look at the set-up and you hear comments like 'wow, look at all the paints in there/ colours she has etc etc. First time i used it, I got 4 parents ask for my card and I booked a job with one of them the next day.

Prior to this, i used a little rolling suitcase and tv tray type thing to put the paints on. I never got any 'wow' comments using this set-up.

Going off my experiences, I guess if you look well stocked, you give the impression of professionalism ? Like if you have a lot of stuff, then you must know how to use it (and therefore know what you are doing) ?

I really have no clue, but it seems to impress the folks in my town.

I also don't use a picture board. Nothing against them, but i can't be bothered carrying one around, and i have never seen one used by another face painter in my area.

In some ways it would be easier to have a board with select faces to choose from, but it also takes some of the creativity out of it. I get kids come up and ask me to paint a black cat with pink nose and rainbow whiskers, or a snake eating a crocodile, or a rainbow love heart etc. This stuff would never have made it to the board & these requests certainly keep me on my toes!

Cherry

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPainter on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:33 pm

I think its sort of telling that most of the "greats" that I've seen or been to seminars by have fairly minimal kits.

The best "working" face paint artist that I know personally has this kit:
-a laptop case w 24 solid colored paint pots (actually its 2 laptops, but both trays go into one laptop when he lays it out.)
- 1 large pot of black
- 1 large pot of white
- one glitter poof bottle
- 2 small water bowls
- brush holder
- tupperware thing full of sponges.

All of it fits on a small folding table not much bigger than a tv tray.

I'm using this guy as an example...his is the sort of kit I'm shooting for anyway. I have about 35 colors (mostly wolfe) and am in the process of deciding which ones are getting fired...how many shades of one color do you really need for your average facepainting gig?

To each his own. If you can have a gajillion little bits of powders, splits, glitters, gels etc etc and still remain functional, more power to you. But most of the painters I know that have oodles of that stuff either take up way too much space on a table, or spend a lot of time fumblng. I'm so scatterbrained that even with a minimal kit like mine, I still misplace my poofer bottle. I couldn't imagine having all that other stuff too.

Plus, like it or not, face painting has become an "industry". That means that companies are looking for the next cool add-on to your kit, and then will try and convince you that you need it. Its all fun....and some of that stuff is neat, and if you like it, buy it...I'm not condemning anyone. But I'm not convinced any decent working painter actually NEEDS that much stuff either.

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm a lot like Changing... I keep everything in the fatmax. If it doesn't fit I don't have it. I do keep a few back-up black & white paints outside my kit, but basically the bulk of what I have is in there. When I get home from a gig I clean it(my brushes & sponges), restock w/ babywipes, clean towels, fresh water & clean dump bucket, etc. & I'm ready for the next gig.The fatmax is heavy, but I only have to lift it in & out of the van(there are not a lot of 5 story buildings here, so it's not like I'm dragging it up flights of stairs).
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:21 pm

I think it makes sense that the masters have very small kits - they do "one" thing, they do it very very well, and they know their product and how to make *it* do exactly what they want (and are booked for). Their work speaks for itself, their name is known, they are booked and their rate is paid.

I am not a master..... I am a jack of all trades (figuratively speaking). I am more likely to get booked to do temporary tattoos as face painting, just as likely to get a call to do natural (invisible) makeup for an HD video, and yesterday got a gig aging a teenager 30 years or so - for HD. Oh and adding a mustache to him.

I take the smallest kit I can to do the job I am booked for, presenting it like I want to - I learned not to take too little when I was asked if I was just starting out several times (after downsizing drastically before thinking about presentation as much as working). I have everything in it's place so I can find it and know right off if it is missing (both on my table/stand and in my kit). I don't take much of any one thing (certainly not all I have of it) since I don't want to risk my "full" kit to loss/theft/damage/freezing/overheating (this last few applies more to creams and liquids and glues etc than straight face paint).

I always go with pictures - it gives me a starting point for communication - I didn't always and things got awkward when my imagination didn't match theirs. No matter how many pictures you put out, there will always be someone who says the unique and different. I had over a hundred pictures put out on the banner at one event this summer, and I still had a parent comment on my "limited" selection and how it must be so easy to "just do a few different ones". At which point I was able to hand them a book mom made me up that has over 700 in it, stating that yes, children find it easier to select from a smaller grouping but that is far from all I can do.

I am not yet where I want to be - I am working towards a plan to have the best presentation I can, with everything I need, but nothing I can do without, I'm just not yet there..... I do know though that I am not likely to get to that state where I have less than 20 colours etc that the masters are at - that's not what my personal goal is as an "artist"....
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Noella...you had a hundred pictures on your board and that wasn't enough! OMGoodness. I too have found that the picture book opens the doors of communication at a pay-per-face event especially....I can offer the book for them to look at and it gets them talking and taking a seat in the tent.

I made a little version of a book for a princess party. I have all of my "girlie" designs in a folder on my harddrive and then it's easy to select all, right click into "print" and then select 4-up or 6-up options and print out a few pages and put them in the clear sheets. I've done this with my favorites for the fair folder. I copied my favorites into a separate folder and I can print them up the same way. I've really enjoyed having a color printer so I change up my book often.

I really thought my poster with a few samples and then keywords to get them thinking was a good idea but it didn't work. Even when they are only paying $3.00 they wanted to know what it would look like.

As far as custom, I think I'm going to charge a little more and they HAVE to have a picture. I tried to do a Hello Kitty and thought I knew what she looked like but I still got it slightly wrong (the wiskers!)

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:40 pm

lol - in the defense of the parent, I'd done that (corporate) job for the past 5 years - and my display has been evolving every year (it looked very different). However I keep notes, and the most pictures I'd had out at that job before had been 87 - this year I had 108. It was just formatted in a way that made it seem less to her.....
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top