Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Not going pro - but need simple kit suggestion

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not going pro - but need simple kit suggestion

Post by rhapsdy6 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:48 pm

I don't have any plans on going pro - but I DO need paints to use at a yearly harvest festival at our church. Last year I used some really crappy store brand face paints from a local halloween store, and got results that everyone loved - but the stuff smeared and smudged, and wasn't crisp colors. This year I really want to step it up, but can't invest a ton of money in this as 1) it's my own money which is always tight and 2) I don't plan on going pro with this, just doing it for fun a few times a year at most for the kids at the church. Smile

Does anyone have any suggestions? I will need to buy two of whatever I get because another lady will be painting faces with me. Last year it was just me and I had a steady line for 3 hours! I watched lots of all of the awesome videos on here to learn techniques and get ideas. Smile ) Had a blast. Smile

Do any of you guys have a suggestion? Would either of these sets work?

http://www.amazon.com/Snazaroo-Face-Painting-Kit-Rainbow/dp/B000H6QQE6/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1317608487&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/COLOR-PAINT-Snazaroo-Painting-Pallet/dp/B002OOTVAA/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1317610058&sr=1-3

should I purchase black and white separately? I already have some glitter sparkle to add.

Thank you for any and all suggestions or ideas! Very Happy
rhapsdy6

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Not going pro - but need simple kit suggestion

Post by anniel on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Either of those "will do"--but Paradise or Wolfe palettes each would be better, and yes, I would buy a separate black & white & maybe red while you're at it. Be sure your glitter is cosmetic quality. Do you have insurance for you and the other painter? Oh, wet wipes, sponges & brushes, mirrors, design sheets...By the time you're done, though--it'd probably be more economical to hire a pro...
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 pm

I'd say go with Snaz as it's easy to get and inexpensive. There are coupons online you can print off for Michael's and Hobby Lobby, both of which carry it. I use a lot of it as well as DFX. I've found the metallic sparkly snaz is very weak in color so I'd go with the basic colors.

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by rhapsdy6 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:12 pm

I don't want to hire a pro because I actually enjoy doing this and it's a way to use my art degree in a fun way besides sitting behind the computer and doing design work all day long (which is what I do as my day job). The church has insurance, and since I'm am employee of the church it would cover it.

Obviously the higher end expensive stuff would be "best" but honestly I'm asking for help here in getting together an inexpensive set of paints I can use once or twice a year. I don't mean to step on any pro's feet - but our church does not have the budget to hire out all of this and groups within the church are volunteering their time to take over parts of the festival to make it a great event for the kids. My Women's Circle decided to handle the face painting.

I could use the cheap stuff I used last year, but thought that it would be fun to step it up this year and make the designs look even better. The glitter I use is made for faces.

Thanks and if anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Smile
rhapsdy6

Back to top Go down

Post by rhapsdy6 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:13 pm

debranewmanart wrote:I'd say go with Snaz as it's easy to get and inexpensive. There are coupons online you can print off for Michael's and Hobby Lobby, both of which carry it. I use a lot of it as well as DFX. I've found the metallic sparkly snaz is very weak in color so I'd go with the basic colors.

Thanks for that suggestion to stay away from the metallic sparkly - I think basic is a good idea. I will have to head over to hobby lobby or michaels tomorrow to see what they have. Thank you. Smile
rhapsdy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 pm

The Snaz rainbow kits are perfect. There is enough in the small kit to work with. Just need to get some decent sponges and a few good brushes as the ones in the kits are crap.

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:23 pm

I didn't mean for that to sound snotty, Rapsdy6...guess I'm a little tired after a long day & should go to bed. I hope you have a wonderful time, and I do understand the enjoyment!
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:26 pm

I think either of the two you posted would work well and are less expensive than I've seen elsewhere - I'd probably go for the 14 color myself, but if you can figure out a way you can share between the two of you (so as not to duplicate paint but get more variety) - like if you both want to be positioned with the paint on your right hand side, pinwheel so you are facing opposite directions with the table in the middle each on your right (so you can share paint). I think you would do well to get a separate black and white Wolfe or DFX to add to that palette (beside it) for line work.... I've worked on a small table with 4 artists pinwheeled out where each of us work with the table on our right and sharing all products (not brushes, each person has their own brushes although we passed something over if someone needed it). Each of the paints in the two sets you posted have 2ml in each color well (judge accordingly on price if you find the 18ml Snazaroo paints at the store).
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by OtterGirl on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:46 am

Sign up for Michael's emails and they'll regularly send you coupons for 20-40% off a single item. That would cut your costs on a Snazzaroo kit significantly.
OtterGirl

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2011-08-26

http://thepaintedotter.com

Back to top Go down

Not going pro...

Post by smallchange on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:45 am

I agree, you should go with the Snazaroo 14 color, plus an extra white & black. (If you paint very many spiderman designs, you will also need another red as well) Like you, I do volunteer facepainting at church & for fundraisers for my daughter's cheer squad. I absolutely love it & working with the kids. I started with 3 of the snazaroo trays...1-basic colors, 1-princess/pastels, & 1-w/boy friendly colors. It worked wonderfully and everyone raved! I do wish I had invested in the 14 color palette to begin with for space issues on a small table. I don't care for the snaz black or white for line work...I use Diamond/FX and it makes a world of difference in my work.
Like someone else posted, I recommend you buy a few decent brushes...nothing is worse than picking brush hairs out of your paint! Another suggestion...I buy my sponges at a tack/feed hardware (Southern State Farm Supply) store. They are called Tack Sponges & are made for applying polish to horse saddles. Good quality sponges for around $7.99 for a 10/pk. I cut some of them in half & some in fourths. They clean up well & will last you forever! (I keep a bar of IVORY soap in a travel soap dish to clean my sponges & brushes...works like a charm!) You can probably get by with a silver/irridescent & a gold glitter to start with. Last suggestion...buy at least one rainbow (neon!) split cake!!! You should be able to get all this for around $50 - $60 depending on how many brushes you buy. (I keep my receipts & count it as a donation to the charity/church)
I do have one warning...If you are already on this site, you're hooked girl and will soon be wanting to add more & more paints! It is sooo addicting! I'm starting to get requests to do birthday parties & my snaz paints were pretty much used up so I recently invested in a Diamond/FX 6-Neon/6-Metalic combo palette & about 6 split cakes. This week I'm ordering a 12 color basic palette plus extra white & black. wish I had about $500.00 to invest but I have to do it a little at a time!! Wink
Sorry to go on & on...good luck & have fun!
Penny
smallchange

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 am

I had my first festival yesterday.I'm not a pro neither and I volunteered it (I work for the town hall and his insurance covered me). I had very little money to spend from the organizers and Snaz is the only brand I can find near home, so I finally bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Reeves-1194040-Snazaroo-Paint-Palette/dp/B001GRXC0G/ref=pd_sim_hg28. I bought an extra black and white too and some sponges and brushes ( flat ¬6, flat¬14, round¬1, round¬4,round¬6). Oh, and some glitter and cleansing wipes, of course! Although my Snaz tends to melt, everything went great. Good luck!

Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 am

Snazaroo is hit or miss. Some people can make it look good and some people can't. In my opinion, Wolfe is a much easier brand to work with. It will make it much easier to achieve nice and crisp line work as well as solid bases. Because it's Halloween season, you can buy Wolfe 4 color kits that include step by steps for 7 designs, a brush, sponge, and face paint crayons for $5 each at your local Walmart.

Also, make sure to stock up for next year after Halloween as these kits will be marked at half off. Quite the steal!
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 am

Pilareta, that snaz palette is insanely cheap! I think I'm going to buy that for my church!
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:33 am

For me ,it was a great investment. I painted a bunch of full and half faces and arm designs and still got lots of paint left!
Pilareta

Back to top Go down

Post by rhapsdy6 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 am

ohh thanks so much for all of the suggestions and ideas!! I'll have to check at the local stores before I decide to buy from amazon.

The face paint crayons - can those be ground up and made to work like the paints? like if I put them into my own little containers?

And yes - it is all addictive and I really do love this forum and reading and seeing all the beautiful work. However, I can not turn this into a paying gig - I don't have enough hours in the day to do the two jobs I currently have! *laugh* Not to mention my husband is always having to tell me to FOCUS on one thing and that not all hobbies have to turn into money making ventures. I have a hard time with that. hahaha

(And no worries, anniel - it's hard to read inflection online sometimes! Smile )
rhapsdy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:49 am

I got a rainbow Snaz kit at Michaels and at A.C. Moore. (dont know if you are in the USA)

I get the paper every Sunday and they usually have a 40%-50% coupon for each store. I go to the store. only by the kit (because the coupon is only for 1 item) and walk out with a great starter kit under $8. comes with a brush and sponge too.

http://www.acmoore.com/p-96036-snazaroo-face-painting-kit-halloween.aspx
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:13 pm

rhapsdy6 wrote:
The face paint crayons - can those be ground up and made to work like the paints? like if I put them into my own little containers?

Probably would work for you yes (if you already have some - I wouldn't buy them just for that purpose though) - they wouldn't work exactly the same as the paints since they were made to stay in their crayon form (probably have more wax to them), but they are water activated paint - you can rub a sponge or brush on them to transfer the paint to the face in a format that gives you more control.....

You might not even need to grind them up to make them work this way for you - just wet the sponge or brush or even dip the crayon in water before running a dry brush or sponge over it - that is similar to how instructions say to use Graftobian's Disguise Stix (which are not exactly meant to be applied directly to the face like a crayon, but are in a stick format). It would take a bit of practice but would let you use up something (like those Wolfe crayons in the Halloween packs).

If they are broken up, yes just find a container they don't react to (I say it that way because I've had three different brands react badly to three different containers lately and my solution was to rotate then everything was happy) and stash it in there without the wrapper - as it gets wet it will mush down nicely...
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:22 pm

I forgot to say that I didn't buy the Snaz Palette from Amazon. I found and bought it at a store near home, but I paid for it a very similar price Smile
Pilareta

Back to top Go down

Post by rhapsdy6 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:39 pm

ok so went running around and found some good deals at Micahel's with coupons I had and was able to use. Got two smaller sets of the Snaz colors ( one more boy colors, one more girl colors) and a black and white larger individual paints. I already have a bunch of nice quality paint brushes in my collection, and will purchase some makeup sponges to use. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Now ya'll all have me thinking that I NEED a rainbow cake. LOL Any suggestions on the best price for the quality on that and where to buy it? Anyone have one they want to sell that they don't love? Very Happy
rhapsdy6

Back to top Go down

Post by rhapsdy6 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Noella wrote:would let you use up something (like those Wolfe crayons in the Halloween packs)..

That's exactly what I was thinking with those wolfe kits - that unless I could use the crayons that it might not be the best deal for paints. Smile

rhapsdy6

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Metina's shop here on the forum is great. Have bought some Tag one-strokes and rainbows but you can actually make your own to suit your designs. I, too, started as a volunteer for a one time a year mission trip. Guess what, did that, two more events for our church, a VBS for a second church, and a third church has asked me to do their fall festival. Paint and glitter get in the blood! Have had three offers of work at birthday parties that I've turned down for lack of time. But the coolest thing was in Arizona on mission trip when I told a little girl that we had come 1800 miles because Jesus loved her and wanted me to paint her face. She went her way and came back later saying that her mom said it was okay for her to ask me more about Jesus. Awesome! BTW add to your list one of the sport bottle ice cube trays from Wal-Mart to keep your brushes in while you paint and you can get refill kits of snazz at some Hobby Lobbys cheaper than you can get the kit with book (same book in each kit). Ditto on the sorry to ramble.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by rhapsdy6 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:48 pm

haha everyone of my hobbies seems to snowball into something I fall in love with and then want to turn into a business. My husband laughs and says no more! focus focus focus! *laugh* Truth be told - if I can do something fun and make money - why not? LOL but honestly my goal here is just to have fun and offer this at our church festivals at the moment. Smile However, I'll never pretend to know where life may lead. Smile

So don't laugh - I played on myself tonight. No specific design and nothing special - way amateurish. Boy is it hard to paint on yourself! But I want to practice swirls and teardrops before the event because last year that's all the little girls seemed to want - and I want to be good at it. Smile (can you tell I'm a first born and somewhat of a perfectionist? ahha)

so my first sad attempt, but I thought I would share since ya'll helped me figure out what paints to get to suit my purposes. We all have to start somewhere - right? Smile

forget my tired, allergy eye. hahaha

rhapsdy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 am

Beatiful work! I like that light green!
Pilareta

Back to top Go down

Post by rhapsdy6 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks for being kind to me. *laugh*

I ended up getting one of those $5.00 kits from walmart to play with on myself before the event. I agree - very pretty green. Smile And thanks again guys for your help - these paints are much nicer than the really cheap crappy ones from last year. I can only imagine how much nicer the ones you guys are using are. lol Smile
rhapsdy6

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 am

Great work Rhapsdy6! The good news is the kit you chose has the exact same paint as most of us use so if you ever decide to go pro, you'll already be used to working with it. I'm glad you're having fun. You should post pics from your church event too so we can see what you came up with.
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top