Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

In Need of Help!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: In Need of Help!

Post by gorjessfaces on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:29 pm

i have those green sponges! there A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! im in australia though so postage is a killer
gorjessfaces

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2011-09-06

http://www.gorjessfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 pm

I keep hearing that!! LoL Sorry you're so far away. Would have loved to trade.

I promised my husband I would do as Linda posted in another thread and only spend 10% from gigs. Lately I've been going through balloons like mad so all my budget went to restocking only balloons. I think we all have things we bought but never used or can't fit it into our routine.

I have a bunch of ABC one stroke cakes that are brand new that I think I need to unload.

Anyone want to trade for TAG one strokes, anything Wolfe or some green sponges?
flopsietheclown

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2010-11-10

http://www.ClassicClown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:37 pm

So I've been waiting for her to respond as well. When she didn't I googled her. Found a profile for her on mySkindustry.com. She only had a tat album and some profile pics. No way to really contact her and I didn't feel like joining a forum I had no interest in just to make contact. Maybe she found another avenue to make money and just dropped this line of thinking. It is enough to see how sweet some of you are in being willing to reach out to someone in need. Love to one day meet some of you who are such inspirations to this quiet "dabbler".
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 am

gorjessfaces wrote:oh wow manja.. you really have had it tough. Sad
you should be extremely proud of yourself for being a strong person, it may have not come to you as soon as you may have needed it but wow i take my hat off to you.
things do just happen in life and there is not alot we can do about these things but accepting them and moving on is prob the best thing we can do, ur past might suck but theres no reason you cant make the future rock! and you are already doing that, your work is amazing, and your putting a smile on a face who might just of needed it that day. ur an insperation.

You are very kind and uplifting, gorjessfaces. My, strength and endurance has come from knowing that it could always be worse and from knowing who I am in Christ - nothing can change those two facts in my mind. As a little girl I learned it is healthy to remember to look both ways... things could just as realistically be a lot worse in life than they could be better. There are a lot of people in the world with much worse circumstances, tragedies, pain, and suffering than anything and everything I've ever had to endure... and that is true for anyone under any circumstances. I could write a book about how harsh life can be. But why focus on the past or how hard things are at any given time? Better to look at what lies ahead and do good with whatever I do have.

Creating SHINING FACES... that's part of what I do with what I've got. And so do you! What a blessing to be in a position to make people shine like we do. I mean think about it... some of these kids are abused at home, molested at night, go to bed hungry, get bullied at school, or whatever the case may be. But in that moment when they look at themselves after being facepainted, they are transformed - they are renewed - they are changed. Even after the paint is washed off, they will hold that memory with them.

I don't take that lightly.

Sorry for getting all personal and philosophical on here. This isn't just a way to make a buck for me. I've only ever taken one "paycheck" from this business in 10 years (although that's going to change this next year). This is my ministry... my way of giving, nurturing, caring, and sharing. It's a way to touch people's lives and make a difference, however small that may be.

THANKS for blessing me with your kind words. It meant a lot to me.

Manja

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2011-06-25

http://www.shiningfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:25 am

My philosophy is pretty cut and dry and I'm too old to worry about being considered a jerk...I've been called worse and sometimes I resemble those statements. We've all had to prove our mettle to make it in this industray and I'm not interested in helping someone else skip past the hard parts enroute to easy success.

I've received pm's asking me for product, I've read sad tales on the open forum and I've even read demands for design ideas on the open forum. I'm sorry, but everyone has had it hard at one time or another. Do I like to help people out? YES! Almost to a fault! But entry into this industry is OPTIONAL...the problem is that some perceive this as a quick buck industry and often do their best to get in with the least start up expense possible. Those people I'm not interested in. I've met people who are bound and determined to get into face painting and want me to spoonfeed information to them and all but lay out the red carpet to gigs...meanwhile, they're having a hard time putting food on the table for their family or are having utilities shut off. When I suggest they get a local job at the drug store or a restaurant, and attempt to make ends meet BEFORE risking the investment into face painting, I am accused of trying to keep them out of the business! Honestly, if it weren't panning out for me and my family needed me to use my energy to provide a more stable source of income, I'd post my paints and brushes here and start searching for a second job with a bit more reliability. But that's just me.

Geek, I was turned off from day one because it seems to be the norm now adays that people who don't bother with trying to connect with the wonderful plethora of talent here and in the virtual world seem to have no qualms with approaching us with hands out and expectations high! I mean really, one post? and that first post is asking strangers to help you acquire supplies to make money in a volatile industry like face and body painting?

If you're a jerk Geek, then I'm a B in all caps and I have no qualms about being one in this instance. The painters who know me know that I'd give the shirt off my back if I knew I wouldn't make the majority of the population sick, but I don't deal well with the something for nothing mentality. Yes, that poster could be having a lot of things goiing on and she has her own side of this story, but the fact remains that she was looking for a shortcut in a place were many have taken the time to do the legwork...and that's not good for her nor our industry. I mean in all reality, she could've used the generosity of the painters here to actually hurt a painter in her area and it would be easy for her to undercut a whole area because her startup costs were nil...again..not cool.

J
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 am

As always you took the words right out of my mouth Jeanette! I am one of those painters in her area. I know of at least 5 of us on this forum who are in the area she has posted on her profile. Who knows? Maybe it was a social experiment to gauge the kindness of strangers. I continue to spend money on education and supplies to offer the best quality of work that I can. I appreciate the kindness and honesty of the posters on this forum. Love you all!
flopsietheclown

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:56 pm

My problem is that I have a bleeding heart and I am always drawn to aid the underdog. I have this passion to make a difference in people's lives and sometimes I make an error in judgement and cross the line of enabling. I realize that this is not a good thing for anyone and appreciate your perspectives on this situation.

Everything you both said makes complete sense and I agree with you... I have the same experience with people wanting me to "spoonfeed" them everything they need to know in order to do what I do, whether it be face painting or other things I do in life to sustain and support my family. I've spent years working hard to acquire my skillset, knowledge base, tools and supplies to do what I do. And people come along EXPECTING that I handhold them and give them a shortcut from point A to Z in one fell swoop. I have had people "shadow" me during an entire gig, soaking up every move I make and I just know what they are thinking... "I can do that!"

We all know teens and adults who set up shop on the street corner or local park with craft paints or what-have-you and charge $1.00 or two for what I consider to be devaluing and damaging to my reputation as a professional and to the industry of face and body art. I have people pick up my stuff to examine it and ask where they can get it and if I'll show them how to face paint. I tell them, "Various sources you can find on the internet and I've taken years to acquire this skill with the help of professional training, so I suggest you research it like I did before you buy or commit to anything."

I recently had a lady suggest that I come over to her house, set up her greenhouse, plant crops for her and her family, and teach her how to cook more healthy, all because she learned that I garden and cook organically for my family! I'm gonna do that WHY? I loaned her some books and directed her to the internet instead. Ugh.

Some people are just plain lazy and a whole lot of people these days have developed a sense of entitlement that has robbed them of the innate desire to "do what it takes".

Lesson learned. Thanks, ladies!

Manja

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:10 am

Excellent post Manja! I especially like that last paragraph ... Pretty much sums it up.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Lady Jayde ~ yup. It's a sad state of affairs we are in as a society when people turn down a potentially steady paycheck because they don't WANT to work "there".

"Oh, I'd never work at (Walmart, McDonald's, gas station, etc.)"

No. It's not that people don't have what it takes, it's just that they DON'T WANT to DO what it takes.

My dad told me, "What does it matter WHAT you are doing during the hour that you are earning your paycheck? If you are answering phones or cleaning toilets, no matter. You are getting paid by the hour and you are earning your pay for that hour. Every job must be done by somebody. Why not you? Whatever you are asked to do on the job, do it well, whether you are teaching art class or scrubbing the bathroom floors."
Manja

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am

To all of the members who posted their thoughts on this thread, thank you! I too, have a big heart. I have been burned lots of times by just being me....by befriending and helping others....but I'm glad I'm who I am, I wouldn't be any other way, even with all the burns (oouch!). True and honest people are most certainly hard to come by these days but seeing your hearts and your sincerity for this young adult and ....right off the bat jumping in to meet her needs....WOW....that speaks volumns about who you are.

I have been gathering supplies (little by little) for about 6 months now. I would be way too proud to ask for anything (except your friendship of course). I plan to make
face painting happen for several reasons. And I know it will happen sooner or later.

But, sincerely, I'm grateful for people like you because you are so much like me and it feels good to know that. It feels good to know that if I need any advice or emotional support...you would be here for me. Just know that...you have touched my heart.
Janb

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkundies on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:55 am

I have quite a bit of extra supplies if anyone is in real need of them. I am in a good place right now so I can help.

I have like 15 extra brushes, quite a bit if paint and splits and other stuff. Let me know or pm me. I would love to hwlp someone who really needs it.

Pay it foward!!

On another note i responded to an ad on CL from a church asking for help for some families for the holidays. I responded and said i would be more than happy to help provided i got the church name, address, and all other info. I told them i needed to make sure they were legit before i helped out never heard from them ha! Sad.

Lynne
pinkundies

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.sweetcheeksfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glitterpixiee on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello Lynne you are very kind. I agree with the "Pay it foward" method. Sometimes things that are useless to us make the world of difference to one in need. Just a few months back my friend who has been through a rough life was so upset that her lab teacher wouldn't let her participate until she had a labcoat and she called stressing how she was going to get one and I told her come right over I had one that should fit her perfect and it did! It was a really nice one and I washed it and had it all clean when she arrived and the look on her face when she put it on was worth a million dollars to me. I save everything because I know that eventually I will find someone who needs that very thing. It feels good to help others and I think it's really therapeutic. I am a vet tech and all my friends know to call me first if they are in need of anything I can offer them either supplies or help with a sick animal. I have always worked in non-profit animal clinics/shelters and my father always makes snide comments about how I should have gone on and furthered my education and this and that but the first day I worked at a shelter I knew that money couldn't replace the feeling I had when I got home knowing how many animals I had helped. I used to sneak the pit bull puppies that had parvo out the back door and treat them at home and out of probably 30+ pups I only lost one and she was very ill on IV fluids and I knew it was a rare chance I could save her but I tried and that's all I could do. Soooooooo off topic and Im sorry. Take care everybody!

Glitterpixiee

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I didn't send because I just didn't get that vibe from the post which I chalk it up to a deep spirit of discernment. Anyway for those that did, and it seems like there were quite a few of you............. for her not to at least post a "Thank you" is inexcusable. I mean with all the ways there are to get online now and for free.....are you kidding me??? The library, coffee shops, phone stores, book stores just to name a few. Not asking you to spill your life story but how much time or effort does it take to say Thank you.

I do this because I truly love and would continue to do it paid or not. So as Jeanette stated this is not for the faint of heart and anyone reading this thread going forward, if you think this an easy way to make a fast buck...you are on a fast track to being disappointed.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:25 pm

I don't think anyone sent her anything although we were willing. She just posted the one time and then disappeared.
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by melissaPins on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:14 am

I apologize for being gone for so long. I can honestly tell you that I am a real person and I am not Trying to take people for granted. I have recently gone through another battle with my mother. With that and getting joe to all his school activities i haven been doing much online. Im not going toask anyone for more help because I didnt mean to offend by not keeping intouch. I have the small kit i got in the beginning, thats all. I dont have everyone sending me things and not saying thankyou. I was in a time of need and i appriciate the offers from everyone.

Joe is now getting all As and Bs hes involved in basketball, the band, FCA, and gildas club. Not to mention he loves my face paint and asks if he can practice on himself all the time.
melissaPins

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Glad to hear things are okay and Joe is doing well. That is good news. It was also good to hear (in your pm to me) that you've generated enough money with the small kit you started with to donate 1/2 to an animal shelter. That tells me that you have 1) enough money to cover your own immediate needs, 2) enough money to cover your supply costs for future gigs. YAY!!! and good work.

All the best,
Manja
Manja

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm glad YOU and your brother are OK.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Thank you for responding. I'm also glad to hear things are starting to get on track. If you ever want to get together with other artists in the area, please let me know. I can add you to our mailing lists and give you information about some fun monthly meetings nearby.
flopsietheclown

Back to top Go down

Post by melissaPins on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:02 pm

That would be amazing!! is it an email list. I just really want to learn more. ive done much more charity then anything and would love to hear first hand from some people about what its like to really get into facepainting full time.

Seeing the happiness on someones face when there imagination sparks and being able to do something that i can really put my talent into is the best thing in the world.
melissaPins

Back to top Go down

Post by melissaPins on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Oh yeah im gonna try to get some good pics of some practice stuff up soon! Maybe i can even convince the kid to let me take a pic of him practicing lol. He gets so upset when it dosent look like mine but he loves playing with it. All i can tell him is practice makes perfect!
melissaPins

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:33 pm

It is good to know that you are doing okay now with your brother. You are younger than my own daughter and I admire you for your sense of responsibility with Joe. I did try to find you when you kind of dropped out of site. My offer still holds. If you want to pm me with some kind of notion about what might be of use to you I'll be happy to share if I've got stuff I'm not gonna use. I'm pretty new myself but God has blessed and I have more than I need of a couple of items.
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum