Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

... and another thing ... water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

... and another thing ... water

Post by kat on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:03 am

I'm about to give up and try to convince all the little girls and boys that want pretty dolphins (though mine seem to look more like overweight porpoises direly needing a nose job.. *twitch*) that dolphins live on dry land. Deserts, even.
surely I can convince them?

How DO you DO water?

I see seemingly effortless waves of water time and time again. I'm so darn tired of hearing how easy it must be that I'd almost smack the paintbrush into the hand of the mother and tell THEM to try it. snit

There now.... that makes me feel much better. *L*

Please, tell me. Really.... I'll beg if I have to....

I've seen a thousand different styles used to paint water.. and they ALL seem lovely while mine looks as if Fido has had at the child with a brush that has only three bristles left!

Point me into the right direction! Please!!

I've even revamped my poor dolphin face so that there's only a few teardrops of white ..... I quickly toss a sprinkle of glitter on the kid and push them out of the seat while yelling "NEXT" ... I've thought of not even letting them have the mirror to see!

So....

pray tell, denizens of the forum.... how and/or where can I learn how to paint water?

leaves a "thank you ever so much" here until I return upon the 'morrow
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ... and another thing ... water

Post by 1HappyNut on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:43 am

Hahahaha. If I could only read your posts all day, I would be most pleased. You are so emotive and make me LAUGH. Love it.
I'm no expert... but what seems to look good is when you have a few shades of blue plus a white in a split cake, and maybe a 3/4" flat brush. Make your slightly waving lines (just not super flat) and a curving C wave or two (one at either end maybe). Highlight with lots of white along those waving lines. And at the end of the curving/curling wave, use LOTS OF WHITE loaded onto an old 3/4" that has separated bristles, and pounce (stipple) the 'foam' at the end of the curling wave part, or just wherever you like. That's what I like anyhow. That looks like water to me. But there are probably lots of better ways to produce the effect of water. I'm curious to see the other suggestions from more experienced artists here.
I'll bet yours looks great. I'll bet you anything you are just being overly self-critical because you're feeling cooped up and restless! Haha...my couch psychology with my certified (certifiable?) cereal-box diploma.
I have trouble with dolphins too. But I'm a bt of a perfectionist and want everything I paint to be the most wonderful thing that a paint brush ever pooped out. And sadly my skill is lagging far behind my desire. But who cares as long as I keep learning? What can ya do? Everybody has to start somewhere I suppose.
But I'll still bet that your water is more lovely than you're letting on.
But, erm, if not... The teardrops, glitter, and a swift NEXT! ought to help as you said.
giggle

Do you have photos?
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:50 am

I don't bother with the water in waves when I do a dolphin, frankly I usually don't have time. I do however use tear drops to signify water splashes, you could try that Smile
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Mug Shots on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:29 am

I would think that teardrops and swirls in varying shades of blue/white would be great! That is all I do... Maybe add a couple dots for bubbles?
Mug Shots

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://mugshotsfacepainting.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:07 am

I do what Criss said...kids don't care if there is water...just splashes

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Blue... with white trim?

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:28 pm

secretly grumbles as I see Shannon's 'water'.... *show off*
*LOL*

said with only a SMIDGEN of envy.. really! *g*

Some day!

I went to a small festival yesterday.. and guess what the first request was?
You got it.. a dolphin.

I gave my sister a stare so hard that she should have felt as if she were pinned to the nearby tree!! I TOLD her to take that #@#$^&* dolphin OFF the menu until I could figure the water thing OUT!!

ugh!

Sisters !!!!

lol!

Mug Shots, & debranewmanart -yeah!
I revamped my dolphin to have teardrops ... when I have time, I'm going to practice water....

Ditto, Criss !
pointing up
I really feel the 'crunch' when there's a long line....

Mz Nut, no pictures.... heck, I seldom have time to take pictures of things I LIKE, let alone things that I abhor.. laughing

You should SEE the splits I've made to use as water! It's like the fellow who thinks that buying an overabundance of office supplies will make him a better writer! uh, wait.. I do that too... *twitch*

As I said above, I am going to try again...after giving Shannon's image a hard, long stare!....

I'm having a "the day after" moment... I think I'm going to sneak a nap in.... heh

Oh, and THANKS!
You're a pretty savvy in the emotive department yourself!

kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mug Shots on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Shannon may I try your shark, pretty please? Love it! I have one over the eye, but I would love to make a simpler one of these for the kids.... pleaaaaasssseeee? Lol (And Thank you? with a cherry on top?) Tracy
Mug Shots

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://mugshotsfacepainting.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top