Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Using examples

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using examples

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 am

Good morning all! I just wanted to hear are there any of you who use a book/photoalbum to look at examples as a reference while your painting? Im not sure I could paint without seeing the reference and just wanted to hear if i wasnt alone.
vicky@addgo.com

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Using examples

Post by l!zzie on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 am

Hi there!
I'm always searching and looking for examples of FP. Can't come up with an idea of myself, but try not to make an exact copy of an example. Always try to add something of myself!
I keep on hoping some day I will be able to create all of my FP by myself. But I guess that's just wishfull thinking. Rolling Eyes
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 am

right, but while your painting... i mean.
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 am

I guess the key is practice, practice, practice, each design till you are completely familiar with it. Use a practice head, or practice all the elements on your leg.

Having said that... I painted all the faces for my menu board, but I still have to look at it for reference occasionally if it's a design I haven't done for a while. And when my daughter paints with me, I have a second board that she keeps next to her that she can glance at as she paints for a quick reference since she is not as familiar with the designs as I am.

And, when you get more experienced, winging it becomes easier.

I see that you did a Darth Maul, that's one that really needs a reference pic, doesn't it! I was asked to do one as a special request for Halloween last year and I did bring along a pic from the movie to follow, since I'd never done one before.
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 am

I'm almost always "winging it" ... the only ones that I sometimes check to be sure are licensed characters and super heroes (never a good idea to get those wrong).
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 am

I started out looking at pics for nearly every painting, but as you learn them you'll need the pics less and less...another idea is to only use the ones you know by heart...just sit down one day and paint as many dolphins on your leg as possible...then the next day paint as many butterflies as will fit etc etc....

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

It depends how many times I have painted a design. last week I did all but one face without referance but the face they picked was the first time I painted it after it hit the board. I used that then but did every other face without it as I have painted them enough, when I started I used to constantly look at my photos, but have learned to trust myself now. I also use my phone to find an image I am unsure of (i.e. super heroes, ben 10 particular alien) and paint it from that, I do warn the client that I havn't done it before when I do this only 2 have backed out after me telling them this.
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 pm

wow great ideas thanks
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:45 pm

You mean for me to look at? Nope. The photos are for the customers to look at and choose... I painted everything and named them so I know what they are asking for (most of the time! Wink )

If I don't I make it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by staysilly on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:48 am

I was once at a gig where a dad asked me to paint the superman sign on his forhead, I didn't have the image to hand and ended up painting it backwards, so it looked like a Z instead of an S, he was not amused, I thought it was very funny though!! Very Happy
staysilly

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:38 am

Nope. I've never painted from a book in front of customers. I have while practicing or learning a new design at home, but what I paint is on my design board and it doesn't make it to the board until I can paint it from memory. As another poster stated, if a design doesn't get picked often (or if the parents butcher or rename the pictures on the board), I sometimes have to refer to it to make sure I'm painting the design they want, but a quick glance generally jogs my memory sufficiently. For custom designs, I've been known to whip out the iphone and get a reference, but not very often.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 pm

I have had to glance back at my board once ot twice at a newer design I hadn't totally committed to memory, but I wouldn't use a book in front of customers. It looks unprofessional in my opinion.
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:20 pm

The goal is to be able to paint all the designs on your board without looking at all, and to be able to pull inspiration for new designs magicaly out of thin air. Believe it or not, eventually we will all get there, but for now if you need to refrence that's OK! But just know that in order to advance, you have to make sure to use the photo only as a refrence- not a crutch. Don't rely on the photo for every stroke- push yourself to remember. Each time you should look less and less. If you don't paint something that looks exactly like the picture that's OK too- remember that that's how we evolve our own style of painting.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:55 am

Before you go out painting for a gig, you should already be familiar with the designs Wink You should pre-paint the design yourself and then use that as a guide.

It's just not professional looking to see someone coping a design from a book Wink
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 am

I agree that searching through a book for a design and then scrutinizing it does not look good. But I don't think there is anything wrong with a "cheat" sheet- especially for those just starting out. I keep an index print (you know the kind you can get with the thumbnail-sized images when you get your regular photos printed) in my kit so I can check back on some of the designs I may not have painted in a while. Or if a kid is trying to describe a particular part of the design that they want a certain way- it's easier if I can see what the heck their talking about! (I know that's happened to you guys too.) I think there is a difference between studying a design in front of a customer and just taking a glance to remember where the ears go.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:45 am

I so agree, you can look if you need to, but try to get to the point where you don't have too, if for no other reason than if you don't have to look, you paint faster and make more money!

I have a mental block about eyebrows of all things, especially on two face, or an angry face or skull, I practice and practice, but I want to do it backward, so I always make a point to look before I start painting for the day...then I can remember. It is one of thoes odd things!

It will all come with time. I found that in a matter of weeks, I started with desings that were inspired almost line by line by other artisist, and in no time, I needed to repaint my board, because I found my own style, and my tiger was different, my butterfly evolved, and my dog was no longer the one in the snaz book. It will happen, and when you make it up, it is easier to commit to memory too (unless you have a mental block about eyebrows!)

a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FacialExpressionist on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm wokring on creating a new board that has 3X5 pockets. My goal is to have a real photograph of each design i offer in each pocket. Then i'll make black & white copies of the photo on index cards and put them behind the picture. When a child chooses a design, the line manager hands them the b&w picture to hold onto. This lets them knwo they are in line and lets me know exactly which design they want. I can also use it as a reference if needed.
FacialExpressionist

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:34 pm

What a great line mangagement technique GaPeach!
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top