Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Going prices - Festival Booth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Going prices - Festival Booth

Post by dmkrum on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:39 pm

HI!! I am VERY new to the art of face painting and need some expert advice. First I will tell you a little bit about me:

I am a drama instructor for a small theatre studio. We just recently wrapped up a makeup class teaching halloween and special effects makeup. Our studio will be hosting a booth at a local "Zombie Walk and Halloween Festival" Our advanced students and myself will be offering "zombie" face painting. Due to time and skill constraints, we probably won't do whole face (unless you fine folks recommend that we do!) and were wanting advice on how much to charge. I have paid for my daughter to have her face painted before and usually paid $4 for something on one cheek. The most I paid was $8 for a butterfly that covered her eyes, nose and cheeks.

Most likely, we will place several cuts and "wounds" around the face. I was thinking $5 per kid. Also...we will be using liquid latex. I plan on having the parent sign a waiver indicating that they are not aware of any allergies and that we are released from liability should the child develop one.

Opinions please! ;^)
dmkrum

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Going prices - Festival Booth

Post by Manabanana on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I use liquid latex alot, but have yet to use it on kids. I am personally allergic to latex gloves (and found out I am allergic to the powder inside the gloves, not the gloves themselve) after a test found out the liquid latex doesnt bother me and I can use it on my face for long period of time.

This being said, When I am in contact with the gloves (powder) I have life threatning reactions that require a shot to open up my airways to breathe.

I would really stay away from children and liquid latex, even if you have insurance to cover it. Teenagers might be different, but I would STILL require parental signatures on waivers stating they are educated about the product and potential side effects and if they sign that you and your workers are not responsible for any reaction associated with it.

I charge $5 cheek art, & &8 masks/half face. $10 full face. I have never had any complaints about prices except that maybe I was charging too little for the work they were getting.

ALWAYS start your prices high, because they can always be brought down to demand, but very rarely can be brought up.

When you get there you can always gage how to charge by visiting other painters, or even food venders. How much are they charging for bottled water? $1? then maybe the market is for lower prices. $3 for bottled water? the higher prices for painting to match.

Good luck and have a great time! flower
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 pm

yes I gotta say Liquid Latex on kids freaked me out.

You can make the cuts up before hand and just stick them on with body glue and the kids won't have to rip them off- they can soak them off.
alternatively you can use Rigid Collidian and make up some scar that they can pull off with out hurting themselves..... this stuff really stinks though and pulls on the skin when applied so I wouldn't use it on a kid personally.

At our easter show - which is the biggest show in our city you can get face painting for $15 or scar and special FX like bite wounds and bullet holes for $10.... these are pre-made, stuck on and blended in.

I'm in Australia so pricing may be different here - but that is about as expensive as it gets.
I have looked into doing these SFX things myself and you really have to buy in bulk to be able to do them in high volume for $10 each.

Also it's Halloween so they will want full faces I promise you.... no good being a little bit of a skull or a scary clown.... it all or nothing.... lol
And asking parents to sign forms will take up a huge amount of time that you should be painting/ making money..... and if i wanted my daughter painted and you made me sign something first I would probably change my mind and leave.
I have insurance so I am responsible for what I do- if the painter tried o push the responsibility back onto me so they could put whatever they wanted on my kid.... yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhh no. that wouldn't fly.

The make-up you would use in a theater environment is not really suitable for children - parents like to e able to wash it off when the kid throws a tanty and ends up in a blurred mess.
What brand paints and products are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:20 pm

p.s. I had liquid latex on my face for about 10 hours today for my 'day job' costume dress up day. And now I have a huge rash where it was applied.

I don't want any crazy (or not so crazy for that matter) moms coming back at you.

Luckily I wont sue myself. And I will pray it is off my face by tomorrow for work. I work at a bank so the huge red line of a rash isn't going to be awesome. Very Happy
Manabanana

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 pm

p.s.s the rash doesn't hurt...but looks like freddy krugger gashed some lines on my face.
Manabanana

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 pm

My middle child has a latex allegy diagnosed by two hospitals as she had to have an opperation when she was young we suspected so they cheaked.
I will tell you a little about it.
There are two types
Type one - is the anaphalactic type.
Type two - the type which won't kill you unless latex tubes etc down your throat in opperation (medical alert)
she has type two, now she can play with balloons, touch latex etc no problem. But 2 hours of constant contact with her skin i.e, latex band aid, latex glue . anything with prolonged contact will cause a scab/crusty blister to form. it will ozze hair around it will fall out and will scar.
Now most parents are not even aware, as to weather or not a child may have this type of reaction. My dad is kind of the boy in the bubble is studdied by universities for 60+ years so I knew what it was had it diagnosed. If you had asked me and I didn't know what I was looking for as she can play with balloons touch car tyres etc I would have said no she isn't allergic to Latex.
Then when I had gone home removed prosthetic she was ozzing and left with a scar on her face. I would be hunting you down. and you would have an issue. and in all honesty and it may suck the truth often dose - but If It wasn't diagnosed and I took person to court, the court would/will 95% of the time side with the child, despite disclaimer, as you caused harm. long term scaring. if it was an adult it would be different.
Now I know her history so I wouldn't entertain it, but many don't and particularly with children a child who is allergic to Bananas or Avacado can develop a latex allergy suddenly (they are part of the same tree family apparently) this means that a mother can honestly tick no child isn't allegic to latex and after you application develop it, thereby having a documented case against you - previously wasn't, now is - after your application.
I do use latex on my eldest girl somtimes - but she isn't allergic. she Is my child I wouldn't use it even on there cousins. She is the only child I would touch with latex. as I know she dosn't have the gene for it 100%. but I have only done it twice as her skin is young and it causes a slight (non allegic) irritation.

I would always recomend steering clear of Latex and children. I still make latex free hair clips for my middle child. as if I get a cheap one and the glue rubs against her head (and some contain latex) it will ozze where contact was made and her hair will fall out in that spot. she can wear hair bands that have a fabric cover. but a non covered elastic band will also cause a reaction, if it is agains her skin for two hours(ish)

I stress that many parants don't know what this is untill it is too late. and although latex dose look cool. There is a reason you should avoid it with kids.
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:03 pm

P.s. Type to would also be inhaled latex from rubber gloves etc forgot that
elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:59 am

you can make up the pieces ahead of time (as mentioned above) and use spirit gum to stick them on, it would be much easier to remove than the liquid latex itself. I understand the draw of having dimension to the "cuts" and "scabs," but after having used some to stick elf ears on my daughter for our xmas elf costumes... she never wants to wear the ears again. She was fine with wearing them, but taking them off was torture for her. Little ones can't even stand having a bandaid removed and this stuff is worse to take off.

For little ones, I would paint something that looked like cuts and scars using Snazaroo (although it would take more skill than just sticking on something) which would be far less likely to cause reactions or tears. The older kids might want the gooey stuff stuck to their faces and stuff and you could charge more for that. Pricing would depend on your area and the cost of your materials. Using liquid latex and prosthetics is going to have a much higher materials cost than face painting since you can get a lot more faces out of face paints than a bottle of liquid latex.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 pm

I still have my rash Sad
Manabanana

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I do a lot of cuts, wounds, burns, etc with face paint... works. Kids still can gross out their parents.

Latex is only on adults. I use gel on kids - I have sfx gel that I melt in the microwave and pour into moulds to make scars and other wounds that can be attached with spirit gum.

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 pm

mana have you got a cortisoid cream? if not next time you are at the doctors get a big one for future use. also next time try taking an anti-histamine before you mess around with the stuff. i.e stop immune responce (over reaction) before it happens .if you do this you will need the use the strength applicable for hives?urticaria. Just a thought, I do that with things I know are going to cause trouble. (on me)
I really hope it helps not trying to be bossy aiming for helpful- allergies suck
elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by Mug Shots on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 am

Have you looked into doing things like Vampire bites, with paint only? With the new Twilight movie coming out and Halloween, etc, I bet they would be a huge hit. There is a tutorial in Youtube, and KrissieMarie has some pretty amazing ones that she does.
Mug Shots

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://mugshotsfacepainting.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:23 am

Make your own gelatin scars - relatively hypoallergenic (though of course, nothing is truly non-reactive with everyone).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GySqCids-M
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dmkrum on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Tash wrote:yes I gotta say Liquid Latex on kids freaked me out.

You can make the cuts up before hand and just stick them on with body glue and the kids won't have to rip them off- they can soak them off.
alternatively you can use Rigid Collidian and make up some scar that they can pull off with out hurting themselves..... this stuff really stinks though and pulls on the skin when applied so I wouldn't use it on a kid personally.

The make-up you would use in a theater environment is not really suitable for children - parents like to e able to wash it off when the kid throws a tanty and ends up in a blurred mess.
What brand paints and products are you using if you don't mind me asking?

We ended up not using latex. I had second thoughts after the first person posted concerns.

For our Zombie look, we simply used Ben Nye Nose and Scar wax to make wounds, cuts and just gross looking skin. We randomly painted over the wax and face with Ben Nye Monster Wheel and then dripped Stage Blood, also by Ben Nye. In some of the wounds we used coagulated blood and everyone was really happy!

On the random person who didn't want zombie we painted spider webs and glued plastic spiders to the face with Eyelash glue. I have found it doesn't hurt to remove and is very safe for use on kids. We had three princess requests and one "Black Swan" request which my 12 year old daughter knocked out of the PARK! The customer was so happy, my daughter got a $5 tip!

All of the Ben Nye products are very easy to remove. I personally use Ponds Cold Creme to remove the makeup, but even Baby shampoo and regular soap remove it without trouble. Baby wipes also work fine, but because the wipes are a paper product, I don't recommend them for use on the face because they are too abrasive.

I personally don't like the Rigid Scar serum because you have to use too many layers and it really hurts when you remove it. Also the smell!!
dmkrum

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top