Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

First gig?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First gig?

Post by colormyworld on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:44 am

So I may have my first gig booked, and I'm REALLY nervous. It's a friend's birthday party, at a nightclub, and he asked me to face paint. I've never painted more than one person at a time, snd with carpal tunnel and severe back problems am unsure of how many I could get done at a time. He knows this, though, and still thinks I can do it. He seems to think I'm good enough even if I don't. The party is going to be really big though...this guy runs a fairly well-known (at least here in the city) movie-screening business and throws big parties. AhhH!

So what is it like working in a nightclub? Is it worth it to get a few UV colors? Is DFX neon white a good choice? What designs would I do for that kind of thing? It's weird...I'm 24, and you''d think I'd be at home in a night club but I am one of those people who ALWAYS felt like a foreigner in bars, clubs, and anything of th sort. Give me a cute little cafe and I'm a happy camper. So yeah I'm really excited but really nervous, and would appreciate any tips or advice on what kinds of supplies I'll need, what to bring, how to set up...I'mve got the whole month to practice thank god, but I want to get started practicing...so I have to spend money I don't have on a few additional colors and want to do it in the smartest way possible.
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: First gig?

Post by colormyworld on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:45 am

Oh PS>....would love to hear any stories from your first gigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Ok... I've done clubs... Keep your kit to a minimum and portable, UV colours are great as most clubs have black lights (check to make sure), Liquid Bling is best for glitter as no mess, keep the designs bold and bright - I tend to lots of eye swirls and and sweeping things as they are fast. Ear plugs if you are working out on the floor!!

A UV sampler palette (Wolfe OR DFX, Kryolan is nice too) and a black/white would probably be the best. Even if there aren't black lights the UV colours really pop. Gold glitter gel is my choice - it shows up well and goes with everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnieKeane on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:41 pm

I totally relate to your nervousness and think it's very natural! With carpal tunnel and a sensitive back, be sure you can set up in a way that is most comfortable for you, as I don't even have back issues and find that a couple of hours of face painting leaves me feeling stiff. Also be sure to stand up regularly just to ''shake it out'' every half hour or so (if you're not already standing to paint that is).

Congratulations on your first gig! That is a super cool type of gig to have for the first time, gotta say! Agreed with Shannon that eye swirls would go over well. Maybe even mardi gras mask type designs, even cute/sexy bunny rabbit or cat eyes stuff for the ladies. Guys would probably dig tribal designs and goatee/moustache things? Just thinking aloud. Smile

My first gig: a birthday party for 8 year old girls..it was absolute torture, lol! I was so nervous doing the first face that my hand was literally shaking, aaagh! But everyone's gotta have a ''first hump'' to get over and it's much easier sailing after that.. I bet you'll find that the time flies much faster than you thought.

Best of luck and I have no thoughts about the paints as I too am learning more about that. Let us know how it goes for you! Smile
MinnieKeane

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Debi's Doodles on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 pm

congrats on your club gig! I would love to do an event like that but haven't landed one yet.

The thing that comes to my mind is lighting. Be prepared if you're not in a well lit area. I've done lots of Bar/Bat Mitzvahs doing tats and were always in like a huge ballroom with the dj, lots of dancing, dinner and so on and its usually very dim to dark in the room. We have 2 lamps at our tables and sometimes I even wear my black hat with a little clip on light on the bill of my hat. You can find them at WalMart in the camping section. They have really small ones that won't make you look like a miner Razz .

Good luck!!
Debi's Doodles

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.debisdoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnieKeane on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Wow, who knew? You all are making me think of approaching the nightclubs here for some face painting gigs! (hmmmm.....)
MinnieKeane

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks for the congrats and tips!

Shannon - Thank you! The DFX neons are all UV sensitive right? I have the rainbow cake, would you recommend getting the sampler palette as well or should that be fine?

Minnie - Thanks for the reassurance and the tips! Yeah I'm literally a 24-year-old old geezer lol...I'm a klutz and fractured my spine couple years ago so even though it's healed even carrying like 5 pounds of stuff hurts after a bit. And I think the carpal tunnel stems from that damage (as well as just overuse of hands). SO I'm sure I'll be pausing for breath every so often, lol...hopefully won't be standing all night! It is a cool first gig...just I figured a first gig would be small and, well...tame. And adults are more likely to notice little mistakes (or big ones) than kids...well maybe they;ll be too drunk to notice Wink. Why was your gig torture though? Kids were totally wild?

Debi- Thanks you, too. Good tip on the lighting thing. Hey I don't care if I look like a miner...my grandpa was one, I'll do him proud haha! I'd rather see well than look fashionable. Smile

PS...do drunk people tip well? I'm working for supply reimbursement and tips, and am flat broke haha. But it's his bday and he's a friend, plus I'll get some photos and experience!
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:04 am

colormyworld wrote: PS...do drunk people tip well?

H*ll Yeah!! Laughing My last club gig I "fined" them $20 for every F-bomb they all dropped and I made a whole mortgage payment in a couple hours!!

The WB UV rainbow would be fine for swirly stuff. And for most designs too...

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:36 am

Haha awesome! Maybe i should wear a low cut shirt too, haha...not that there's much there!

I was just thinking...the neon colors would pop more than usual at this event...it's a black and white dress code! Fun!
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum