Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Ugh! Just have to say

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ugh! Just have to say

Post by billiebcc on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:29 pm

So I placed my first order from the forum shop. I am doing a benefit for a friend of my daughter and all I had was the snaz paint from the Micheal's shop here in our little town. After using the Tag and the DFX I had gotten from here I just have to say I hate snaz! It flakes horribly compared to the others!
billiebcc

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://www.angelwingsbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ugh! Just have to say

Post by Janb on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm glad you posted this info because I've only been ordering Snaz, I haven't started face painting yet but this is good to know. Thanks.
Janb

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:26 pm

But that's just my opinion. I know my using the lovely search box up yonder, that some only use snaz. I also know that snaz is safer for the kiddos faces. I am dying to try Paradise, but I have to wait again until I get paid. Ha ha ha.....hubs is not happy when I order face paint and we have a bathroom redo in the works and Christmas is coming up......oh and yeah we are paying off my father's funeral still. Painting is my therapy. What can I say? (shrugs) It's better than other options right? Laughing
billiebcc

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:41 pm

and crumbles in your kit.....extra grumbly about that!
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:59 pm

@ billiebcc, you're right painting is good therapy... much better than drinking (I don't) and could be much cheaper also!
@Gilded Cat .....thanks for your input too. What face paints do you like the best?
Janb

Back to top Go down

Post by theotherphoenix on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 am

I'm with you billiebcc. I don't use Snazaroo if I can help it and I refuse to sell it. I know people who swear by it, but I find it flakes off badly. I did a zombie pirate full body paint a year or so ago and I used a Snaz blue for the captain's coat and it started flaking before I even finished painting. Was not happy as it was for a media launch.

I know it's expensive, but I adore Kryolan Aquacolors for bases. I'd like Paradise too, it's lovely paint, but I don't like coconut!
theotherphoenix

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-11-12

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:47 am

@Janb - it depends on what I'm using them for. Each paint has pros and cons for different techniques and styles. Although I hate snaz's tendency to crumble in my kit, I keep the green and red for quick and easy bases for spider man and hulk/witch faces. They base out very quickly and have relatively even coverage once you know how to use them. I would not use Snaz for linework, but many people on this forum know how to work it, and use it for linework, too. It's all about experimenting with different brands to find out what you like and learning how to use it best.

Kryolan is awesome for bases as theotherphoenix said, but it's also very pricey. Sometimes you have to weigh cost versus application. If I was going to create something for a bodypaint photoshoot, I wouldn't use Snaz. For an outdoor festival with five-bazillion kids? Snaz is just fine as a base.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:10 am

I found snaz black and white too creamy for line work, but i do use their sparkle range for bases occasionally.

Cherry

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazz on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:23 am

billiebcc wrote:I am dying to try Paradise, but I have to wait again until I get paid. Ha ha ha.....hubs is not happy when I order face paint and we have a bathroom redo in the works and Christmas is coming up......oh and yeah we are paying off my father's funeral still.

Wait till your hobby starts bringing in some money he wont be grouchy then! lol
Jazz

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 am

Ah yes, but then that money goes back into buying more paints...you know, that new colour that you JUST HAVE TO HAVE, oh and those stencils, and that brush, and that glitter would look good...haha Wink

I may or may not be looking at online face paint supply shops as i type this...

Cherry

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JENDZS on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:15 am

I too started out with Snaz only. But have now almost completely changed over. I use Kryolan for most of my basing and DFX, TAG and Wolfe for almost everything else. I did get some Snaz metallics, though. And I really like them! The colors are marvelous - but again, use them mostly for bases.

JENDZS

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-11-15

http://www.facepaintingbyjen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:58 am

Yup, Snaz is great for some things, but in my opinion, it flakes off after a but & the boldness of the design fades after an hour. Never use it for large areas(like body painting). I do have a few Sparkle colors that I love & use & I keep a set on hand to give to my volunteer face painters at church. But, I hate using it in my professional kit.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks for everyone's input, I can't go wrong with all of your advice, it'll save me $ in the end and I'll be happy to experiment! cat
Janb

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:43 am

I've got plenty of snaz built up, so now I can focus on the other paints mentioned. I won't go overboard like I've done with Snaz until I figure out which works best for me. And I'll save Snaz for the kids!
Janb

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:47 pm

I still like snaz. The red has a different feel than all the other snaz paints, it is my red! Also, you just can't find a color like Ocher yellow (if you do in another line, let me know...) turqoiuse is a go to also, and I have yellow in my kit, doubt that it will run out anytime soon! I still really love some of the sparkle colors, especially the orange for tiger bases, and sparkle white is great to mix with any color, gives it a totally different feel and look or for a really light sparkle wash type base.

I like snaz white and paradise white for bases, but not wolfe, tag or dfx, which I use for line work (mostly wolfe) I just can't seem to get a good white base from wolfe white, but that is just me.

Sometimes the deals on snaz at Micheals with the coupon are too good to pass up, and you can make a decent one stroke rainbow cake from the kits too, and I keep them on hand for those volunteers...

I think I have a little bit of everything in my big kit. None of the fragrances bother me, but I would imagine that if they did, you would prefer something like snaz. I am not sure that it is so much "better" for kids skin than all the others, so few people have a full on allergy, an many of them may have a sensitivity to frangrance, not paint, so it is hard to say for sure. I have not had a kid have a reaction to anything yet, but I did see reactions occasionally when I worked as a make up artist, and they followed very specific patterns. The most common was a contatct dermitis caaused on the eyelid by anything with a pink or red pigment in it, that, and the frangrance issues, usally related to itiching (I itch with one purfume-several which smell simular, and my eyelids will also get that contact dermitis with prolonged pink eyeshadow use (or deep purple, as I found in the 90's) but a very few people will have a strong blister type reaction, and this happens very rapidly, so you can spot it quickly.

So much is just artist prefrerence to feel, and your own sensistivity status, like Perry, who has a true allergy to paints other than snaz. Just think we should know that it does happen, what will happen if you are sensitive v allergic and that it is pretty infrequent for most kids to have even a sensitivity issue, no more often than most kids get painted.

a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:11 pm

I also do not like snazaroo, i use dfx, tag, wolfe, and paridise...love them all..
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm having issues with Snaz black... my black linework seems to flake really badly. I think in part it's because I put it on too thick, but I find if I use less it doesn't give a strong/dark black line. Have ordered some TAG black - being new to this I have not tried it before, but am hoping it's better.
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm

So mostly Snaz for bases? They don't stain? Teal, yellow and I guess *everyone* uses the red? Very Happy
billiebcc

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:47 pm

I have the snaz red..I don't like it...Tag red is better I think..i love the paridise red..nice and dark..its good for blood if you do gore..
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 am

Snaz red for bases - it is my go to red for spider people. I use Wolfe red for blood and other red details over top of the base coat as it doesn't bleed...( Rolling Eyes ) I use Snaz black for my linework when painting children, always.

Snaz Yellow Ochre is the best for the big cats, golden labs, etc., I'll blend it with a little gold and copper for staying power.

Snaz generally isn't a great body paint and I don't use it except for specific details - for example, the Snaz Sparkle colours are great and blend well for use even on a larger area. But the regular colours are too dry.

I use many brands... they all have their particular optimum consistency, amount of water, method of working with... takes time and practise to figure it all out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum