Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Starting to feel a tad frustrated...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starting to feel a tad frustrated...

Post by gorjessfaces on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Im starting to loose my mind over this whole computer business.. actually im well and truley over it. i own 2 laptops which have both crashed latley all becasue they reckon my digital slr camera (canon 60d) is killing them. i have no idea why...i have plenty of RAM in both of my laptops. one is about 3 years old which is old i spose seen as they upgrade with the blink on an eye but the other one is only 9 months old!! anyway computer tec dude called yesterday and told me that he has to wipe that one everything gone Sad i cried for a good half an hour thinking of all the memories im loosing all my photos gone Sad i had photos on their of my sisters birth (giving birth to my nephew) not photos you want to loose. not to mention ALL of my facepainting pics... i have to start from scratch. now i fear that the other one is heading down the same road..this computer has all my photos of me and my boyfriend on our first dates and my school days ect ect (we were 16 years old when we first dated) i REALLY dont want to loose those either.

before you all say it... i know im stupid for not backing it up, i know that.. but it just makes me feel more terrible knowing how freaking stupid i am.

anyway im thinking no more laptops.. invest in a good desktop computer with tones of space that can handle my camera. i just dont know were to start not to mention the $$$$ *sigh* Sad
gorjessfaces

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2011-09-06

http://www.gorjessfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting to feel a tad frustrated...

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:40 pm

So sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can rebuild some of your photos from places you posted them online(Facebook, Face Paint Forum, Photo Bucket, Flicker, etc).
I have everything backed up on a thumb drive(and pray I never lose or corrupt it....).
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by gorjessfaces on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:54 pm

thankyou.. yeh im pretty upset. i will get the ones from my facebook thats a good idea.. whats a thumb drive?
gorjessfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by christelize on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Oh no! I had that happen to me once - lost a good 3 year chunk of photos and I was heartbroken so I sympathize with you :-( Email any friends/family you may have sent pictures to - some people save them long term. Are your sure your tech can't somehow salvage at least all .jpg, .png, etc file extensions? I would look into doing that to your other laptop especially if it is still functioning at this point. I use a couple of external hard drives and also upload to an external site. Computers don't last at all - they wouldn't make money off of us if they did!!! UGH! Good luck!
christelize

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by theotherphoenix on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Ouch, that's awful. Losing family photos is the worst. Sad You have my sympathy.

A thumb drive is a little memory stick that plugs into the USB ports on your computer. I have one shaped like a Lego brick. Good for taking photos to the local print shop, or saving backups on.

Desktops can fry just as badly as laptops.
theotherphoenix

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-11-12

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:39 pm

I've got a whole lotta flashdrives that are bracelets - the drive plugs into the strap and you wear it. Really handy. Got them from a friend who worked at a place that had them for handouts.

I learned eons ago (1985) to back up and have external harddrives for my computers and back up pretty regularly - after a major upload of photos or documents.

I hope you can manage to track down some of your images from other sources.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 am

That's really cool, Shannon... A bracelet flashdrive!

I have my important things backed up on several thumb/flash drives and I email the important pictures right away to my Mom and sister. They both keep things long term and also back their stuff up. That way, we all have some (if not all) of something if someone's computer crashes.
I have a desktop external hard drive on my wish list. I have lost photos before when our computer crashed (right after I uploaded photos and wiped them from my camera but before I backed them up!) and shed many sad tears. That was on our desktop computer. Now I back up regularly and immediately after a photo upload.
It's a hard lesson to learn.
I've heard the saying that there are two kinds of people, those that back up their stuff, and those that haven't lost anything yet... Or something like that. Some are smart enough without the hard lesson. I'm not one of them.

I wish you the best of luck, Jess, to sort it all out. It sucks either way.
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:52 am

First off, Hugs to you...I feel your pain (my husband dropped our hard drive which contained baby pics of our only son).
Second...
Get a second opinion before they format that drive, unless your computer isn't booting up at all there's probably a chance to back up your files. Allow me to introduce myself in a different way...Hi I'm stacia, in my previous life (prior to having a child and beginning a career in face painting) I was a computer nerd. The whole reason I lost said hard drive mentioned in the top of this post was because we were swapping out our friends hard drive for ours and connecting theirs as a secondary drive (like an extra drive letter in "my computer") to transport the files because their operating system was corrupted and wouldn't load fully...as long as no one DROPS the hard drive on the tile floor...all USUALLY goes smoothly.
Now, The whole "your camera is killing your computer" diagnosis sounds fishy to me, I doubt that's the problem. Also, laptops nowadays can have the same amount of hard drive space, memory, processor speeds as most desktop computers...I don't think any of that matters. As far as backing things up, don't rely solely on one form of backup. I now keep my photos and other important documents on my computer, and I back up to an external hard drive (you can get a 1 Terabyte drive for less than a hundred bucks), AND we also back up to Dropbox (in the "clouds").
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:03 am

Been there done that. Lost lots of pics to a dead laptop thanks to a random lightning bolt coming down and causing a surge. I now back up to an external drive...which according to my tech guy isn't enough. You need to back up your back up drive. Also if you are ever having troubles with your external drive, pop it in the freezer for a bit and it should work again. I know it sounds crazy but it is known to work.

Cherry

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:19 am

There is no reason for your camera to be killing your computer that I can think of.

Even if the operting system is fried, they should be able to connect the hard drive to another computer and extract any image files, and scan them for viruses.

If they are saying the memory stick on your camera has a virus (unlikely) get a new stick (Sd CF or whatever it has) and that issue is solved.

If your hard drive is FULL, it can cause boot up issues because the system needs SOME space to write to when booting up and shutting down.

Here is what I do with all my sensitive business data... I have two larger external drives.... Drive A and Drive B. One is always in the safe depost box at the bank, the other is at the house. Once a month, I back up onto (For instance) drive B- then take it to the bank and swap it for drive A, which i take home and do a SECOND backup. So, Drive A and B are always mirrors of each other.

Lap tops are no better or worse than desk tops.... BUT they get subject to a lot more abuse.

If the other lap top has that many files on it, ask them to remove the drive and put in a new one before they restore the OS. You can get an external case that the drive will plug into and act like an external drive, and then you can access it like another drive and extract the files yourself. Here is an example of one such case- BUT if you are not tech savy better have someone who is do this- need to make sure you get right size and interface. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3743049&CatId=2781

NOTE- if there is even a CHANGE there could be a virus on it, Scan it thoroughtly before you access any files on it. Use AVG free virus scan.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 am

My laptop recently stopped working, wouldn't even turn on. I took it to Staples who said it would need a new motherboard and fan, for a whopping $800! No thanks. I got a new laptop, and one of my friends put my old laptop's memory in his laptop, and transferred it over to my new one. No lost photos! Maybe you could try that?
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:44 pm

My old (2007) laptop fried in June when I tried to update Explorer. Have to jump through hoops to get it on, then every setting I had was gone and I couldn't find my files. Took it to where I bought it originally and they located my files - all there and intact - but could not locate the problem - something got corrupted when I tried to update. So all updates were uninstalled and now, everytime I boot up I have to jump through the hoops, and then restet and find all my programs individually EVERY time I log onto it.

I bought a NEW laptop... HOWEVER... I can't load my programs as they are not current versions (Have MS Office and Photoshop CS3...) and my back-up harddrive is NO LONGER SUPPORTED so I can't simply upload my files to the new laptop... and my printer Drivers are no longer available as both my printers are OLD...

Sometimes I hate technology.

Bought a terabyte of external harddrive for my new back-up drive.
Transfer files from one laptop to the other with my flashdrives or email to myself... freakin' annoying it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by gorjessfaces on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:55 pm

thankyou soo much for all your advice, i think after reading all of that i am going to get a second opinion even mention a few things you have all said and see if i can steer around it. hopefully...
gorjessfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Oh no - my laptop is on it;s last legs - duct tape and all - lol
Me thinks this thread is an omen to get that Ipad I've been needing... erhem... wanting...

I thoroughly reccomend getting an external hard drive for back up whether for PC or Laptop. They are really small now and can be carried around with you...
think I better back up while we are on the topic!
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Good! Start the conversation off with "I need someone to retrieve my documents ESPECIALLY my pictures and make sure they are backed up before anything drastic happens to this computer". That will ensure they understand completely how important that is to you. After that I would have them explain whether your problem is hardware or software related, if hardware related is it because there is a hardware failure, or do you need more memory or hard drive space (it won't be anything else with a computer only 9 mos old.)? If the problem is software related a simple format and reinstall should resolve the issue AFTER they back up your data. Write down everything they tell you and report back Wink. I hate to see people get screwed over by computer repair people...kinda like mechanics, some will take advantage of you if you don't know much about car stuff...same thing with computer repair people. Some are good and do the right thing, some will just take the lazy way out and tell you there was nothing they could do and just "nuke and pave". I've worked with plenty of them in the past, and had to clean up the mess they leave in their wake.
Stacia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Tash wrote:Oh no - my laptop is on it;s last legs - duct tape and all - lol
Me thinks this thread is an omen to get that Ipad I've been needing... erhem... wanting...

I thoroughly reccomend getting an external hard drive for back up whether for PC or Laptop. They are really small now and can be carried around with you...
think I better back up while we are on the topic!

I would say you NEED it Wink. I NEED one too, and I NEED a Cricut and while I'm at it I NEED more paint too! Hehehe!

Seriously though...back up your data for reals. lol! Check out Dropbox. External hard drives are fantastic, but they can crash too.
Stacia

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:13 am

Stacia, on the Cricut thing (I have one but didn't jump on the SCAL or MTC train fast enough)... If you get something else, like a Silhouette or eCraft you can do everything the Cricut can do AND enjoy making your own glitter tat stencils (if you so choose)... For around the same money. Just sayin'.

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have bought the Cricut (though I love it) due to the imposed limitations.

Though, with your tech. knowledge, you might be able to find a way around it and use the Cricut with your computer beautifully.
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:33 am

Yeah, i was extremely fortunate to have purchased SCAL 2 before the lawsuit w/Provo Craft happened. I purchased it when a friend and I had started a business together, when we parted ways she took the Cricut and I kept SCAL. I *think* I may have my husband convinced that I need a Cricut for reals...when I told him I can make money with it his ears perked up. He mentioned that maybe Santa will bring me one Smile.
The reasons I think I'll buy the Cricut rather than the sillhouette or the eCraft is because (as far as I know, but correct me if I'm wrong) the Cricut has the capability to cut on a larger scale, which won't really matter for glitter tattoos, but for wall art and other craft projects I'd like to be ale to cut 12x24. The other reason is because I already have a bunch of accessories for the Cricut (mats, deep cut blades, etc.).
Stacia

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 am

I'm sending you a PM regarding the Cricut, accessories, and cutting 12x24.
Nothing earth-shattering, but as I said, if I knew then what I know now.
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top