Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What's your take on Coffee Water?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's your take on Coffee Water?

Post by Lady Jayde on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I read a long ed. piece on the Snaz site (or was it SF?) about dirty water during FP. The author claims that by color designating brushes a face painter should be able to paint faces all day long and be able to drink the crystal clear water at the end of the gig.

From what I gathered, no more than the tip of his brushes ever touch his water cup and he doesn't 'waste time' with water changes by not cleaning the brushes. I know that water will reactivate any Snaz that is left on the brush, but are the paints complete with an ingredient that will inhibit bacteria growth/transfer? He didn't mention anything about swabbing each kid down with antibacterial wipes before painting them, so I don't know how hygienically sound advice is.

I tried last night to paint myself without cleaning my brush and it was difficult to squelch the knee jerk impulse to was the brush out when I was done with a particular color. How can you do that when you are painting 50 kids?

What is your take on the 'clear' water method of face painting? I take it that the author is not just shooting from the hip. Is it safe to do this?

Question
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your take on Coffee Water?

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:56 pm

First, I clean my brushes between each person. So, my water container (a three compartment "Water Tub") is soley for CLEANING my brushes, therefore, the washing section gets "coffee" water rather quickly. Since this is ONLY for washing my brushes, I only empty the whole container out when the first rinse water starts to get cloudy...

Second, I do not and would NEVER use the same brush repeatedly!! ICK!

Third, I add water to my cakes from a squeeze bottle and use my brushes and sponges dry. I have a separate small dish of CLEAN water to dip my sponges and brushes in for using the split cakes as adding water to them in advance doesn't work - but only dip CLEAN brushes and sponges in it.

As to whether it is "safe"... personally, I would never do it. But hundreds if not thousands of people do, and people still let their kids get painted by them... and I haven't heard of any outbreaks attributable to face painting with "dirty" water... so... It is your comfort level you need to consider.

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:30 pm

I do have brushed for specific colours, but I do rinse (but not so that they are ultra all the way no paint at all in them clean) them between each person, else they become stiff and to much build up of colours. But I guess it depend on the paint as well.
Must admit that I don't think, unless you are painting near the mouth or eyes, that it is a health risk to use brushes the way you describe. There are more germs and so on money and door handles than on brushes.
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Coffee water gets a bad wrap. What is it really? It is merely water with kid safe, fda compliant face paint in it. It is only coffee color because mixing colors causes this color, not because it is unhygienic.

I change my water frequently because I also wash out my brushes frequently even though I will bring several of the same brush to use for various colors.

IMHO, the editorial is attainable, but is it good for the brush? I have found that when I don't rinse the brush out often the paints start drying on the brush and makes it impossible to use. Then it takes me forever to wash the brush out while the customer is waiting.

This is a case of what I call "Common Sense is King." If the way you feel most comfortable and can work the best, safest and fastest, do it your way.

Good luck and let us know what works best for you. We might even learn something.

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:20 pm

I think mine needs more caffeine.

Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:16 am

Oh that made me remember... I was painting at a friend's in the UK, we were all around her kitchen table... ahem... drinking G&Ts...

And I suddenly realized my G&T looked more like a latte... still tasted fine and the paint went on well... but by then everything looked kinda fuzzy... drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by KittyKat on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:45 am

Oh, that does bring back memories! Once I was painting on canvas with acrylics, and my cup of paint water was the exact color of orange juice. I also just so happened to have a glass of real orange juice sitting nearby. Without even realizing it until it was too late, I grabbed up my paint water and took a big gulp. Boy was I surprised! I about threw up all over my painting!
KittyKat

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:53 am

I know some people painting with coffee =) But only on paper. I have tried it. It gives some nice shading. Especially with a black ink sketching.
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by kyfaceandbodyart on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:47 am

I like the new brush bath from Silly Farm, I use a three cup method, 1to rinse out colors, 2 rinse in brush bath, 3 clean water. I also use a little spray bottle to wet my paints and sponges.
Shannon, I have a question about sponges, how many do you take to a big event and how is the best way to clean them?
kyfaceandbodyart

Number of posts : 140

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am

For an all day gig (9 hours is fairly common) I work with what I have in my kit which is about 160 half-rounds. I never use them all. I might have to refill my bucket once, but I never go through them all. Many designs can be done with brushwork only as well.

When used once, the "dirty" sponge goes in another bucket with water in it (also dump my "dirty water" in there when I change it) - keeping them wet stops "staining" - they are all washed when I get home with Ivory soap and HOT water, rinsed until clean, then into the washing machine in a mesh bag.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I have a 3 section container as well for rinsing my brushes... as much as possible I try to keep one section clear just for wetting my paints, but eventually, they all end up messy and at that point, I change my water. It's not that big a deal... they spread more germs touching each other in line than you would with your brushes.

Of course, don't paint broken skin and don't paint kids who are all covered in boogers. I do try to keep clear water for going onto my paints and use a wipe on my brushes in between colours and kids, but don't go crazy over it.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Shannon, I've been using your ice cream bucket(s) method - a couple of weeks ago I had a bucket of clean sponges on my table, and the dirty sponge/water bucket on the ground - guess which one I dumped my coffee water into?

Thankfully I had spare sponges in my kit - that could have been disastrous! I've never washed so many sponges at once...
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Oops!! I often accidentally toss a "dirty" spong into the clean bucket... but I have my arrangement so set in my mind that I automatically reach and toss in the right place UNLESS I am working on a small table and have to set things up differently - then I kinda hafto pay attention to what I am doing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Haha totally...the best part? The fact that I didn't even notice I did that until maybe 10 minutes later, when I needed a sponge!

Autopilot is fun, eh?
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:01 pm

On the ice cream buckets. If you are working in the wind, save the lid and cut up the top like a pizza. This will allow you to put your hand in to grab a sponge, but will still be covered so they don't blow every where.

This is the same concept as snack cups for children so they don't spill cheerios everywhere.

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top