Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Do you re use your glitter tattoo stencils?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you re use your glitter tattoo stencils?

Post by teshca on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi everyone I was wondering if anybody reuses their glitter tattoo stencils a few times. If you do to what level do you need to sanatise? Do you sanatise your glitter brush between customers or wipe skin with alcohol first? Or is sanatising for body tattoos even needed? Love to hear your thoughts on this and what you do Smile

teshca

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you re use your glitter tattoo stencils?

Post by helena on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 pm

I try to reuse if I can, but often it doesn't work too well... however, on the odd occasion I can reuse I've already sanitized the skin before applying the stencil/glitter/brush, so don't sterilize those items too

helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 pm

I used to try to reuse my stencils, but find it's not really worth the hassle. It takes too much time and effort to try to take it off nicely so it can be reused again, find a place to stick it flat where the glue isn't going to stick to something, then to have to come back and find it later is just a pain. Not to mention, it doesn't look as good to a parent if you're putting something on their child that's already been used before. That's just my two cents.
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't reuse. You've gotta ask yourself - if you were the client / parent, what would you think about someone re-using a stencil on your child? Would that impress you in a positive or negative way? Although the risk is probably fairly minor... it just doesn't look very professional, IMO.
Fun2Play

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2011-06-04

http://www.fun2play.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:56 pm

I don't reuse glitter tattoo stencils, I have stencils for painting and for airbrush that are meant to be reused, and I clean them with alcohol.
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:06 pm

I think someone summed it up like this:
"You're saving pennies of product using dollars of time...."

Not worth it.

TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Yeah...not professional IMO, and also, such a minor savings if you are charging a good value for your service.
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by teshca on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback. I haven't started using them at gigs yet and hadnt really thought about it from the parent prospective only my costs. I didnt feel comfortable charging the going rate here as i thought it was to much. I agree that re using them would not look very professional or be time effective especially if you paid for them. But looking at it that way it justifys the price put on them. I have reused them for family and friends when I have been practicing though! Well it is for free lol!

teshca

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 am

tescha, what is the going rate? And what are are you in? Realize when setting your prices that it isn't as simple as cost per tat or per hour. I may charge $XXX (insert your rate here) per hour for actual work, but no one pays me for the time I spend researching and ordering supplies, making marketing material, securing the gigs, driving too and from the jobs, my insurance, my tent, table chairs etc... and the time I spend learning and keeping up with the industry. If the boss at your day job expected you to do all the prep work and 9-5 stuff for free and only pay you for the 2 hours you are in front of the meeting presenting your project...your salary would be much higher than when you get paid for all the rest of your time. Smile
Oh, and for what it;s worth, I do reuse some stencils on myself and my kids if I am messing around as you said, but never on a job.
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:51 am

NEVER.....Even though you sanitize the skin prior to applying the stencil...when you pull it off there are dead skin cells stuck to the stencil.
As a parent, I would think "I am paying $5 for this service, why is my child getting a reused item?"
Just not professional. The profit outweighs the expense by far.
I have had a ton of parents comment how sanitary my glitter tattoo kit is...and how sanitary the procedure is.

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:51 am

I give the old ones I have used (on my kids/me or family) to my kids to have a go with in the school holidays to do it themselves. they have such fun.
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:10 pm

I did when I started, but like others have said, it's too time consuming to reuse them. I just charge enough that it's worth throwing them away. Now if I'm stenciling me, my daughters, etc w/ the same stencil, I might reuse it.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:31 pm

teshca wrote:Fair enough, thanks for the feedback. I haven't started using them at gigs yet and hadnt really thought about it from the parent prospective only my costs. I didnt feel comfortable charging the going rate here as i thought it was to much. I agree that re using them would not look very professional or be time effective especially if you paid for them. But looking at it that way it justifys the price put on them. I have reused them for family and friends when I have been practicing though! Well it is for free lol!

Another thing you have to consider about the "going rate" is that it's the rate that others have decided they're willing to pay. Yes, I can understand the mentality when you look at it from the consumer perspective, but the consumer has to play a part in establishing that going rate to begin with. The only thing that is accomplished when we charge less than the known going rate (aside from lining our pockets) is hurting the businesses who worked to establish the rate. When the customer is no longer willing to pay that much, the going rate goes down. If you establish yourself at a lower rate while knowing what the going rate is, you're stepping into undercutting territory and I advise treading carefully once you get there. Just my 2 pennies.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:54 pm

I only reuse stencils when it is doing one for free on my daughter or her friends.
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 pm

my daughter does the glitter tattoos at our booth. after it's been used but seems re-usable, she puts it in the 1/2 price folder. she lets the customer decide: full price for one not used and 1/2 price for one that has. That way, she still makes money off it, and the customer feels like they got a bargain!
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by *redStar* on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:58 pm

I like that idea, Lorie. Never thought of a half price bin before.
*redStar*

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.newskinbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Do a lot of people take advantage of the half-price option?
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 am

yes, especially the ones with more than one child buying a tattoo. I've seen parents limit their kids JUST to the half-price bin. I've also noticed teens who will pick more than one design out of the half-price bin too. (one for each arm).
Luvs to paint

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracalla on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 pm

I personally would never offer a client a re-used stencil. Even Macky from Glimmer says even though you have sanatized the skin you are still pulling skin cells off of one person and transferring them to the other.

Personally, if you advertise yourself as a professional, it's not very professional to re-use supplies such as stencils from one person to another.
Tracalla

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-06-25

http://drdrumtastickentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:13 pm

good point.
Luvs to paint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top