Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Poor Little Thing...Dumped pup (starving pup image)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Poor Little Thing...Dumped pup (starving pup image)

Post by shandi on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:38 am

I don't usually ask for help. I am in a serious financial bind and well...this little girl was dumped on my property, I have 7 dogs already all of them rescues all of them with something wrong with them I really don't need #8. I took her in bathed her and deticked and deflead her and am feeding her small portions 4x's a day. I need to get her to the Vet, she's wormy and pot bellied and I'm not sure she's not pregnant, she's at least a year old. I have had her since Wed. last week, she's finally coming out of her shell and last night was the first night she was allowed out of the kennel to socialize and sleep with the other dogs. She's been abused, and has had part of her neck broken and it healed poorly but she will always hold her head a bit off. I have a rescue group willing to pay all but 50.00 of her spaying but they won't pay to get her looked over by the Vet, I'm still calling all the rescue groups I can. I was a Vet Tech for 13 years, I can buy the wormer and the vaccine but I can't test her for heartworms or tell if she's preggers. She needs to see a Vet. She won't be strong enough for surgery for weeks for there is a glimmer of hope here, she was playing last night. If you'd like to help any amount will go towards her Vet bill. I had a friend send me 25.00 to my paypal account to help out and was shocked when she did this and at her urging I'm asking everyone if you can help her please do... I am already attached to her and she to me, so it looks like "BlueDog" may be #8 of my canine children.
My pay pal email is : thegreeneyedunicorn@gmail.com
No matter what it takes I'll get her looked after and she will know love and kindness and she will bloom into the loving sweet dog she's already showing me.
[img][/img]
shandi

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://facepaintingbyshandi.webs.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: Poor Little Thing...Dumped pup (starving pup image)

Post by SuzySparkles on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 am

I think you should take him to the Houston ASPCA... They have a great rescue center and in fact if you call them they will just pick him up from your house. He will get all of the vet care he needs there and then be adopted out to a loving family. Your probably over the number of dogs you can legally own anyways.... That is just my opinion. Keeping a dog that you don't have the means to financially care for is not in the best interest of the dog...

You have a big heart though and I wish you the best.
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:02 pm

I was a Vet Tech for 13 years, they will euthanize her because of her body condition, they won't waste resources on a dog in her condition.The number 1 dog euthanized and the least adoptable is black dogs. This I do know. I will find the funds somewhere to help her. My friend just thought if I put out the call for help that there are people that would want to help me out. I can and do care for all 7 of my dogs and my 2 horses. I choose to live lean in order to care for my fur kids. I'm 47 and been married for 30 years, these dogs are our kids. We live in the country. I can have as many as I can care for. All of my dogs are vaccinated and wormed and defleaed on a regular basis, I spend 100.00 a month on flea preventive alone. We have had a few large bills come up unexpected and that's why I don't have the funds right now. Gigs have been far and few between. "BlueDog" will stay here as long as she needs to, I have a rescue group that will allow me to bring her to adoption days if we choose to. All of our dogs have something that prevented them from adoption, seizures, temperament or other issues. Most are over 80lbs one is 125lbs. It's very hard to find homes for large dogs. Like I said I've been rescuing and rehabilitating dogs for a long time. I'll give her a home for as long as needed, if she ends up here forever, we are okay with it. "BlueDog" will need a special home, one that can deal with her mental handicap and her fear. Trust me that we will try and place her, but I will not after all she's been through let her be put to sleep. I am sick that someone starved her and then drove out here and dumped her. It happens all the time, I've placed dozens of dogs, this one is special because of the issues she has, she's going to need some rehab and love. I didn't mean this post to sound like I'm a beggar or a dead beat, I was just reaching out, at my friends encouragement.
Please forgive any overstepping I may have committed.
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 pm

They will not euthanize her for a body condition, that I know for sure. I definitely think it is ok to ask for help when needed.... I was just giving you my opinion from an outsiders perspective. I have been on the inside myself... I used to rescue rats and mice from the feeder tanks at petworld........... affraid

Do you know what a task THAT is? A never ending one at that....At one point we had 17 rats and god knows how many mice... My heart was in the right place but that 'feeder breeder' was still making money.... still producing more rats and mice... and it was a pointless cause.

So believe me.... I KNOW how you feel.

I do know though that the ASPCA in Houston is top notch and they do everything to find a dog a home. Euthanizing is their last option and that is only when the dog would never lead a normal life, it was a fighter dog, or the aggression is so bad that it couldn't be around anyone.

I have even seen them have dogs with food aggression and in those cases they foster them out to work on those issues before they adopt them out.

Just was trying to get you to look at your options is all... Not trying to deter donaters or say you were overstepping. Asking for help is perfectly fine.
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkundies on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:36 pm

I am a sucker for a cute black lab, especially one like that. I sent you some money to care for the dog. Its the season of giving. I wish you the best of luck!

Lynne
pinkundies

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.sweetcheeksfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Thank you so very much she's got 75.00 now toward her care, she will be wormed and first vaccine tomorrow Smile
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 am

As someone who currently works in the veterinary field - it might put people more at east to donate directly to the vet clinic you will be using and/or the rescue subsidizing the spay. Some vets are open to this, some don't want to get "in the middle" but it's an option.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 am

this is the clinic I use. I have enough funds to get her first vaccine and wormed and the discounted fee to spay her through the rescue group. I'll go and purchase her wormer and vaccine and give it myself. She will get a rabies vaccine when she's spayed.
Thanks to you all. I'm going this morning to get the wormer and vaccine.
I'll be using either "Twyla's Friends" or VAP to spay her. I hope to take her to one of their adoption locations this weekend but wanted her to have a vaccine on board before she went into public.

Crosby Veterinary Clinic
(281) 328-4221
14224 Fm 2100 Rd
Crosby, TX 77532
it's under Shandi Howard
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:19 am

oh my goodness i hate when animals are treated this way! i am the biggest animal lover ever and its so sad when you see or hear about things like this. If you are not going to take care of a dog then why would you ever get one? i mean they have emotions jsut like we do this really hits nerve. But i am so glad to hear that you have him and are taking good care of him they need more people like you in the world. i wish you the best of luck with him. you should be able to find a place in your area that would be able to help you out with this situation there are alot of places in maryland. best of luck!
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 am

I live in a rural area. I'm about 50 miles from Houston. People out here just shoot strays, don't ask questions they just shoot them. I was riding my horse down at the river a few weeks ago and someone had shot a older lab in the heart and dumped her body down at the river. My hubby went down there and buried her. I am one of those people that says a prayer for any animal dead hit on the side of the road, my hubby and I will stop and pull bodies out of roads. My heart breaks for abused abandoned animals. I can only save so many.
"BlueDog" is one of the ones I felt needed my personal help.
I almost cried lastnight to see her all snuggled up with my pitty mix, when he was found his hip and pelvis crushed from something and was dumped, Twylas' friends paid for his 600.00 surgery and I paid them back after we decided he was going to stay as part of our family. He's been with us nearly 7 years. I call him "Uncle Petee" because any new dog that comes into our home he's the one that coddles them and loves on them. I once took in a 10 yr old dog a hUGE dog that I had been his nurse for 3 years, his elderly mom brought him in regularly for his thyroid, she was in the exam room crying and I rushed in thinking something had happened to "Shadow" she then told me her daughter was forcing her to put him to sleep because she felt she was to old to take care of him, despite the fact that he got her up and walking 3-4 times a day. "Shadow" was 16 when he passed away. He came to live with us and his favorite pastime was rolling in dried horse manure, he always seemed to be grinning when I'd scold him for it. I had a great friend in that old boy and a deep friendship was made with his elderly mother. We talked once a week and I'd bring him up every now and then so she could visit. I have never regretted any of my fur kids. The youngest of our 7 is 4 now. The oldest just turned 12 and I know he's getting ready to leave me...I've had him since he was 4 weeks old.
Why am I sharing all this? I just want you all to know I'm not a nut job or a free loader... I just love dogs. I was abused as a kid and because of that abuse I had some serious issues with trust and love. Dogs showed me how to love and they taught me so much about trust. I made the choice not to have kids when I was just 10 yrs old, I have kids in fur and they give me so many reasons to live when I don't want to anymore.. I am blessed to have the place to care for them, I am blessed to have a understanding like minded husband. I am blessed to know them and share my life with them.
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm

one week later getting fed 3x's a day, a worming, a warm loving home and look at the change in this little girl
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkundies on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:59 pm

She looks great! Coat is looking shiny! Can she pick up her head or no?

Lynne
pinkundies

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Shandi, go to the yahoo group "Animal Wish List" and post your plea there. I love animals dearly also, especially kittens. I had found a kitten about 6 weeks old in a parking lot and brought him home with me. A day or so later I noticed her breathing hard right after she ate. I took her to the vet who x-rayed her and found out she had a thoracic hernia. The vet gave me a referral to the Vet School at the local university. I took her there, they wanted $3000.00 up front. I asked about paying half of that down and a payment plan for the other half if they would just do the surgery since they were the only ones around who had all of the high-tech breathing machines. Well, they said "No". I called them 2 more times asking them the same thing and then asking for the upper management. The lady I spoke with told me she would look into it and call me back. I surfed the web and pleaded with all the local and surrounding vets to please contribute something. No-one came to my aid. Except one person on the "animal Wish List" group...she said she would pay $1500.00 . I only had the little kitten for 2 weeks and tried my best to get the help I needed for this baby. Little "Bitsy" died before the vet school called me back one day later. I had set up a bank account in "Bitsy's" name so that anyone who wanted to contribute could. The $ was in the mail fron the kind lady. Sadly, I emailed her for her address so when the check came, I could have it mailed back to her...which I did. I was heart-broken. I prayed so very much for this sweet baby. After she died, I was so exhausted (I stayed up all night with her most nights while my mother took care of her during the day). I held her little body for 3 hours in the rocker and cried the whole time...that because I didn't have the money, she didn't matter to the school. Can you believe that? Anyway...I had to take a nap before I buried her. As I was dozing off to sleep, I felt her jump onto the bed and walk all over me and around me purring (as she always did). This was the only spiritual experience I've ever had with an animal. But I know she was telling me that she was in no more pain. That was just last year. I can never say anything good about that school.
You may want to put up a post on Facebook asking your friends for help and ask them to ask their friends for help with your puppy. I had started a Facebook page called "Love for Buzzy" which should have said "Love For Bitsy" but at the time I thought she was a he. I never finished the page, but got her picture up. If you want to go and look at it you can. There are alot of dog lovers on Facebook and even $10 from quite a few people would most certainly help. Also "Animal Wish List". Good luck.
Janb

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkundies on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:28 am

Facebook is a super idea! Set up a page! Let us know, I will post it and share and you should be able to get a lot of others to as well!
pinkundies

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:36 am

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif4
this a video of her playing... let me know if you can actually watch it.
I did post on FaceBook on my own wall. Until I get a price on her spaying, We are good with the donations that came in I got 25.00 from a friend on Face book and a wonderful lady here gave me 50.00. Last time the rescue group spayed one of my rescues it was only 50.00 out of my pocket, so the 50.00 is staying in my account until then. She's really coming out of her shell. She's checking out stuff and got in the garbage yesterday, and this morning she was tearing up a dog bed...she takes scolding very hard, she's sensitive. She finally goes to my husband and crawled into his lap lastnight, for the first time.! Smile
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Janb on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 pm

So glad to hear she is doing better, give her hugs & kisses for me Wink
Janb

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top