Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

First paying gig!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First paying gig!

Post by PipersMum on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:46 am

Just wanted to share that I had my first paying gig last night. It was a christmas party for a scouts group, they had a list of activities that they had to get stamped off on and facepainting was one of them.

I think it went very well. Although was booked for 2 hours i ended up doing 3.

I have been booked again for January! yay!

Now i have a few questions-

I am terrible at saying no, how do i tell kids i cant do the design they want (one kid wanted mike tysons tattoo from the hang over, firstly i thought it was innapropriate for an 8 year old, secondly i simply cant do it haha)

Any suggestions on ways to end the line, it was dark and i was still going (was placed outside).

How do you get kids to listen when you say step back? i had kids in line almost sitting on my lap (haha!) while they were waiting they were standing so close.

TIA

PipersMum

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down

Re: First paying gig!

Post by maggie on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:06 am

Congratulations on your 1st paid gig and WOHOO!!!!! on your January booking.

Oh my! The hangover tattoo? Are they even old enough to watch that movie, I would be mortified hahahaha. I think using a display board will work in this case or even a list of things for boys.

And for the kids almost sitting on your lap bahahaha At that age I tell them that I won;t be able to paint them if the don't wait properly. Where are the parents????? Some times I think they believe they are hiring a face painter/nanny.

Good luck!
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:20 am

Glad you had a great time. I second Maggie, have aboard or sign saying the designs you do and when someone asks for something else just say, that isn't on my board ,choose from the list. It won't be a problem. Sometimes they pout but they will be fine.

For crazy events like that ,when I know parents won't be guarding the swarm of kiddos, I have a sign in front of my table that says, Stand at least 2 feet AWAY from my table. This is in large lettering then in smaller lettering I explain why, cleanliness of my kit, my safety, their safety. There will be some that know how to read and they are a;ways all to eager to point out to the others that they are too close because they can read the sign, LOL.

Also, if an interested child is almost on my lap, I will stop painting, reorganize the line a little or just simply explain that they need to step back and why. Sometimes I have a line marker, "Line Starts Here" kind of thing.

After you are in this situation a few times, you will be more assertive. You aren't being mean, just keeping order with a smile. In the end, everyone will have a better time because of it. Smile
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 am

I usually don't paint it if it is not on my board, but it is funny...they Tyson Tattoo IS on my board, but not from the Hangover (I have not seen that movie... What a Face ) from Tyson. It is really there for older kids, boys mostly, who want to be painted, but don't really want to be painted. It is just a tribal on the side of the eye, really, it means nothing and it is an easy thing to learn and do quickly. It is one of those designs on my ppf boad that gives my line a lift....it takes a minute, litterally. I used to have a tribal on my board where I put a rainbow cake swipe under it, either a fire cake, or a real rainbow, to put on arms mostly, but it is more popular without...and boys were asking for it on thier faces, so I just put it up there...

Anyway. I use a carpet. It is my magic carpet....only the kids being painted can be on the carpet. It is 5x7, but I have thought about getting a smaller one for those times that I am by myself. I originally got it to protect the floor when I have my daughter with me doing airbrush tattoos at indoor events, but it worked great as a way to keep kids back too.

a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PipersMum on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks everyone for your replies Smile the carpet sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to get super prepared for te one in January at it's at a festival type thing for the scouts stall they are having there, so I'm assuming there will be HEAPS of kids. scary!!!

PipersMum

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 am

Congratulations on a successful first event!

Kids like to crowd, they all want to be the closest to seeing what is going on. BUT you can't have them knocking you and your table while you are working. Put on your best "teacher voice" and in a loud but friendly voice say, "Ok everybody! I need all of you to take one GIANT step backwards!" (if necessary, ask for one or two more to give yourself the room you need) and just wait until they do it... you can't paint anyone else until this is done. It's not mean, it's necessary. Add a great big "thank you" with a smile when they do what you need and keep on going. You may have to do it a few times because kids forget, but they aren't doing it to be disrespectful, they are just really interested and excited. If there is one that isn't listening, let them know that you cannot keep painting until they do it and the rest of the kids will pressure them into listening or one of the adults will finally step in to help you out because they don't want you to stop.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystical Masks on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:39 am

Hi
I had my first event last saturday and took a photograph album with pictures of all the designs I can paint quickly. I just let the kids choose what pic they wanted out of the album.
It worked really well. xx
Mystical Masks

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-16

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Mystical-Masks-Face-Pa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top