Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Best metallic's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best metallic's

Post by HillbillyDiva1 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:17 pm

I have a small pallet of krylon and use to have snazaroo gold and silver but hated them. What's the best metallic's besides mehron powder.
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Best metallic's

Post by Miss Ronnie on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:07 pm

I have all of Tag's metallics...all very nice. FAB paint from SF has some absolutely beautiful choices, too. I don't like Snaz gold or silver, either.
santa rendeer
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:04 pm

TAG!

But...it depends on what you are using your metallic/pearl paint for...
I personally use mine for basework.

I've used the DFX and Wolfe metallics, and while they were nice, I found that I didn't LOVE the way bases (for butterflies, tigers, masks, etc) came out. For linework, in conjunction with black, I found them decent. Also, DFX and Wolfe are pricier when compared with TAG.

I've used the sparkle snaz (and still use metallic blue/green snaz b/c of the highly washable quality for kids under 6)...they're not fun to work with and the color is ok.

I personally find the TAG to be ABSOLUTELY stunning! I use Tag pearl white over the eyes as a base for MANY of my butterflies. I LOVE LOVE LOVE their range of colors! (The exception is the silver, but silver is a special issue with ALL brands). I replaced my laptop of classics as they emptied with the pearl versions b/c i found that they made my designs pop. I now use a full size pallete of pearls (white, gold, yellow, orange, teal, berry wine, blush, pink, silver, copper, lilac, and purple) to get me through my lines.

With regard to FAB - the colors are truly incredible and the prices weren't bad. I salute SF for the color vibrancy and consistency (creamy, like working with paradise). HOWEVER the perfume in FAB is so awful that even a container that was open and 'airing' for 2 weeks was too strong for use. SF did say that starting in 2012 FAB will be stink-free so the paints will need to be re-reviewed sometime soon.
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:19 pm

We've got a brand here called PartyXplosion. Like the metallic colours they have. They look preciselly like DFX, think they're from the same manufactory?
Also like the metallic from Superstar.
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:01 pm

See, I love the boldness of Wolfe & DFX Metallics for both base work & linework. TAG Pearls are also stunning. I also love Paradise Bronze. I use TAG Pearl Yellow & TAG Pearl Orange for my tigers.
I think what I've found is that certain brands work better for certain types of painting & while you might love one brands color you may hate another brands. My advice is to try one of the recommendations & see if you like it & if it works for you. Use it up & either rebuy it if you love it or replace it w/ a different brand.
Example: I love Wolfe/DFX Metallic Blue. Paradise metallic blue is a lot cheaper, so I got it last time around. I hates it. I used it up & returned to Wolfe.
Another Example: Many of the Metallic "Reds" are really more pink in color. I love them & use them in many girl designs, but obviously can't use them on a spidey or the boy would kill me affraid Paradise Metallic Red & TAG Pearl Red both make wonderful Metallic looking reds!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm in the same camp as Tamariel and Linda. LOVE the Tag metallics. Old gold and greenish bronze are beautiful together. Same as Linda with metallic orange and yellow. Metallic berry wine and metallic rose together are beautiful. Only metallic that I'm not thrilled with is the pearl blush. Not much color for anything other than cheeks. Scored a DFX metallic appetizer palette from Metina but gotta say I like the TAG much better. Bought FAB Glitter gold from Silly Farm. Love the color-HATE the smell.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:16 pm

tamarielpaints wrote:TAG!

I've used the DFX and Wolfe metallics, and while they were nice, I found that I didn't LOVE the way bases (for butterflies, tigers, masks, etc) came out. For linework, in conjunction with black, I found them decent. Also, DFX and Wolfe are pricier when compared with TAG.

I've used the sparkle snaz (and still use metallic blue/green snaz b/c of the highly washable quality for kids under 6)...they're not fun to work with and the color is ok.

I personally find the TAG to be ABSOLUTELY stunning! I use Tag pearl white over the eyes as a base for MANY of my butterflies. I LOVE LOVE LOVE their range of colors! (The exception is the silver, but silver is a special issue with ALL brands). I replaced my laptop of classics as they emptied with the pearl versions b/c i found that they made my designs pop. I now use a full size pallete of pearls (white, gold, yellow, orange, teal, berry wine, blush, pink, silver, copper, lilac, and purple) to get me through my lines.

With regard to FAB - the colors are truly incredible and the prices weren't bad. I salute SF for the color vibrancy and consistency (creamy, like working with paradise). HOWEVER the perfume in FAB is so awful that even a container that was open and 'airing' for 2 weeks was too strong for use. SF did say that starting in 2012 FAB will be stink-free so the paints will need to be re-reviewed sometime soon.

I gotten some new FAB paint within the last two months.... no fragrance. But, strangely enough, not one of my customers, young or old, has ever complained about the fragrance. As a matter of fact, many have told me that my paint "smells really nice."
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Who B What E on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:36 am

JEST PAINT SILVER IS THE BEST!! It is way shinier than all the others and really pops, not just a shimmery grey.
Who B What E

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-10-23

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Smiley-Faces-by-Jo/27768237893

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepita on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Hello,

I haven't used metallic paints for bases yet.

For lines, I'v used Fardel liquid paint.
The gold and other golden colors are fantastic. I like the silver too.
The metallic white's consistancy was awful (maybe the shop gave me one that wasn't fresh...).
The light pink did not really show on fair skins but was pretty on darker skins.
Pepita

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-27

http://www.pepita-pop.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:57 pm

TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone of the metallic I use silver and gold the most and hadn't thought of good uses for the other colors but now have lot's of ideas.
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:49 pm

I just got (from Silly Farm) a Fantasy Shimmer Palette.... TO DIE FOR!!!! These are loose powders but, omg..... absolutely breathtaking! I cannot wait to paint someone, something, anything with them.......here kitty kitty!
affraid
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepita on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:35 am

....here kitty kitty!
Laughing

I never ever used them, but it sounds nice. What do you apply them with ?
(reminds me of a movie where a buddhist monk painted writings with his cat's tail Laughing )
Pepita

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-27

http://www.pepita-pop.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:01 am

Just bought a Tulip silver last night from Michael's with coupon. Paint is a better silver than my Tag one BUT there is so little paint in that container that I'm feeling like I overpaid even using the coupon!
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 am

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions, the only metallics I have are the gold and silver from Snaz, I find them extremely sheer but they have a really pretty shimmer if the light catches them right... I'm going to try using them as subtle bases on eye designs, or to blend out other colours.
Someone also mentioned somewhere that you can use the sheer metallics for a base to make another colour more translucent... Has anyone tried it with the Snaz metallics?
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Miss Ronnie wrote:
tamarielpaints wrote:TAG!

I gotten some new FAB paint within the last two months.... no fragrance. But, strangely enough, not one of my customers, young or old, has ever complained about the fragrance. As a matter of fact, many have told me that my paint "smells really nice."

Can someone confirm that FAB doesn't smell any more? I called Silly Farm today and they said that the formula hadn't changed over yet...

Rampant

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Will let you know. Have an order in for a FAB silver thanks to Michelle and her pics of Superstar/FAB silver. Razz
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Got the silver from FAB. Opaque, shiny silver that still stinks (my opinion).
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm

ok, well I guess that settles that question.

C'mon sillyfarm... you are losing customers cause of the stink. Get it in gear.

Rampant

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 am

The scent from my Fab 20 piece has disappeared since I keep them in the laptop case with the individual lids off although it did take a couple of weeks for the scent to dissipate. I love them and WANT MORE! (smell or no smell, lol)
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 am

I know a number of people who have negative reactions to perfume and get stuff or could even break out. Perfume really just doesn't belong in the product.

I'm glad you like it though! The demos looked great and the price is right. If they fix that I'm sure I'll order some.

Rampant

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 am

I agree, the perfume should never have been added in the first place . In the past 6 months I've been using them, I haven't come across anyone with any reactions so far, thank goodness. Now that the smell is gone from my kit, I'm very pleased with them. I hope the new formula works just as well, but WITHOUT the scent.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 am

Yeah, they are rare but one of my helpful friends is one of those people... which means she couldn't come to any gigs, or help out, etc.

Rampant

Back to top Go down

Post by VictoriaS on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:38 am

FAB gold smells like lanolin I believe. I could be wrong, but it smells like lotion that I have that has lanolin in it. I hope I'm spelling that right.

I found FAB gold too sheer. I don't know if I'm using it correctly, but I tried it several times. I was embarrassed to use it as a crown in a princess design. It was way too light.

I see people are suggesting TAG so I'll try that.
VictoriaS

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-11-16

http://www.biggrinsfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:29 pm

I love various brand for various reasons - but my 2 cents - best Metallics - Wolfe Face Art and FX Metallix. Love them!
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top