Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Do you think this is rude?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you think this is rude?

Post by face frenzy ak on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I recently did a very large event at the Zoo here in Anchorage. I turned my head and saw a lady I have seen painting at the local market removing one of my cakes from set up and putting her fingers in it (reached over my set up). I was highly mad at this site and told her to put it down now please. Her husband who was with her asked what kind of makeup it was, like the lady could not speak and I told him they had no right to be touching or asking me questions like that when I am so busy. They had pushed forward in our lines to get to our stuff. I asked them to please leave as nicely and handed them a card and said if they would like to talk to me at a later date that would be fine, and they went and complaind that I was rude to them. Wich might I say was quite silly. They made people mad in line, I had 3 other of my painters there working and was really just feeling put out. I felt I delt with the situation the best I could. I have never had this problem in 13 years even when I was at Disney or Busch. What is any of your thoughts on this?

Thanx
face frenzy ak

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-08-12

http://www.facefrenzy11.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you think this is rude?

Post by Criss on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Hellz ya! I would have been choked fer sure. I think you handled it very nicely. Kudos to you.
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:16 am

You definitely handled it better than I would have. I probably would have just smiled and let it go while gritting my teeth and silently performing mental voodoo. Good for you for standing up for yourself. If she wants to play with makeup that's not hers, tell her to go to Sephora.
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:34 am

Okay, well I would have been livid. NO ONE touches my stuff... and if they had questions they could just ask, not touch the stuff.

I usually manage to set-up in a way that people can't just walk up and touch my stuff...

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:39 am

Think what they do with people like that who waltz into the Museum of Natural History and try to scale the T-Rex...
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:15 am

Yes, it is rude moving in front of the others, but I guess they was thinking: we just want to now what amazing colours she use. Some don't realise how un hygienic it is, touching the paint. Guess that is why we have such big area where we can see things. So we can concentrate on what we are doing (painting the kid), but also notice what's going on on the sideline (where out kit is) ;-)

I don't think it is rude to ask about that, even if you are busy. It is not like it is a complicated question, it is one that could be answered while you was painting. But do agree that they way they chose to do it was not optimal.
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:27 am

A different, but interesting point of view lonewolf..........i like it
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:34 am

Criss wrote:A different, but interesting point of view lonewolf..........i like it

Thanks. I always try to see the situation from the other persons viewpoint. Not many people try to do stuff to harm others, a lot just don't think...
It also gives me some time to calm down *lol*
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by face frenzy ak on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I had so many there I had to consider and to make sure I lead by example. It has been real hard here for me. I just want to have fun I LOVE MY JOB! but....... people here that I have run into view us as compition, Not as if we all can work together. I have only met 1 person I will refer people to when we cant cover an event and I know there are many more but they have been ugly when you try to talk to them. I am still tryin to figure out the game here. Thank you all for your opinion.
face frenzy ak

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the other painters in your area. I can understand why you are on guard. How are the others quality?

I really don't understand why people think being ugly about others is a good competition style.
Last year I was on a job where there was another facepainter as well in another area. When I had finished for the day and changed clothing (I was in full costume, to hot for the weather), I thought I would go over to the other seeing what she was doing, maybe have a chat if she had the time. There was a small line, so I sad down to watch (okay work). Apparently she did not recognize me, since I overheard she was asking the one in line if they wasn't happy coming to her instead of "that other painter", and then continued talking about the bad work I was doing! I was really chocked. I would never talk like that to someone I was painting, even if the other was the worst painter ever!
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:57 pm

I do think it was rude! Most certainly! While I'm sure that the woman and her husband were simply inquisitive, there's no excuse for violating you by handling your personal property! It's one thing if you were selling the paints and had them out for display, but you were USING the paints and she stuck her dirty fingers into your pot? There's simply no excuse for that type of offense and she was certainly old enough to know better! It's that type of entitlement attitude that irks me to the core!

As far as competition, I think it's silly and it undermines our ability to progress as a face painter. I mean when you consider that many face painters hone their skillset by observing others and learning (either what to do or what not to do) from their fellow painters. What they have learned shouldn't become a secret to hoard, not saying that trade secrets should be shouted from the rooftops, but I've always found that I've always gotten back twofold of what I have originally given. I'd rather have a fellow facepainter pal who I can call when I'm in a pinch than be the lone holder of a not-so-secret-secret and alone for fear of having that secret discovered. Competition should be reserved for well...competitions, especially in the arena of artistic expression. I'm so sorry that you have to endure such nonsense, if the other face painters in your area would only realise that they have the chance of increasing their skillset by combining and sharing. Neutral
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:13 am

There's only a few other painters in my area. In North Tallahassee (about 30 miles from me) there is a clown couple that are super cute. In my immediate town there is a girl that is probably a few years younger than me that does it. She has GREAT work...but I'm catching up to her quick. Every time I see her she is rude to me or stuck up. Whatever, I refer the clowns when I have overflow.
starponysmama

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-16

http://www.facepaintingtallahassee.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reneec808 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 pm

I guess I'm really fortunate..I only heard of 2 other face painters here...One just does line work and the other cheek art..I don't know them. Sometimes I wish there was more face painters on the Big Island.. I would love to get together with other painters..Besides, sometimes I need a little help with those little faces...Thank God that this site was developed and started...I have learned so much from everyone here....Hugs..(We do alot of hugging in Hawaii) lol! ....Thanks Metina... I love you
reneec808

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:02 pm

LoneWolf wrote:since I overheard she was asking the one in line if they wasn't happy coming to her instead of "that other painter", and then continued talking about the bad work I was doing! I was really chocked. I would never talk like that to someone I was painting, even if the other was the worst painter ever!

Wow, that is really sad... and very unprofessional! I feel that it is VERY bad form to put down any other painter in front of a customer. It doesn't matter how unskilled they are, how mean they are, or how unethical they are... if they share our profession, we should not degrade them in public. (It seems even more ridiculous that she said this about YOU Lonewolf, when I know your painting is top-notch! Maybe they had confidence issues...)

Anyway, these types of people just make themselves look bad. It's a huge turn-off to me when I hear professionals in any field talking bad to customers about their competition. Evil or Very Mad
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:18 pm

How sad though, that people couldn't offer some professional courtesy. This just happened to me this weekend, only I was the customer. I was at a festival and there was a painter there. Of course I wanted to check out her skills, I didn't recognize her paint, there aren't many painters in my area, but I didn't really want to talk shop or come off condesending or anything. So my daugher got some art on her arm, I supported a (presumably) new artist, and I checked out her art box from the edge of the table. No harm, no foul, boundaries respected.

'nuff said Cool
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by photomomma6 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:29 pm

I agree on all accounts. I've had kids put their fingers in my paint before, and that ticks me off, but their parents usually handle that. and pick up my mirror, and pull out my brushes. I really need to rework my kit!!!
photomomma6

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-08-31

http://www.facelation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamike on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 am

That seemed like a selfish couple with no manners. That lady was probably having her own personal problems, and wanted to try bringing it towards someone else. I am not sure what I would have done in that situation. Maybe get security or tell the line there is going to be a delay because the lady put her finger in the paint.
Dynamike

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.dynamikemagic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by moonprints on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm

for the original topic:
While I don't agree about their tactics, and I would be very upset at that woman picking up and handling your paints, I don't know that I would be offended at their questions. Still, I think you handled it in the best way you could. I would have asked them to not touch my supplies as it is non-hygenic and they are expensive materials, and then given them my card (like you did) to discuss things at a later time if they wished... No need to get too flustered though. ... still the fact that they labeled you as rude with the establishment would be frustrating too.

and for the sub-topic that cropped up:
I don't understand the competitive spirit either! I know I'm new in this, but I've already heard so many horror stories and seen examples of people being terrible to one another, and I think it's very sad! It seems to be typical for many artistic areas of practice, but especially so in face painting and clowning.

Why can't more than one or two face painting businesses be successful in an area? I mean, even if there are several people in the area doing similar things, you can't be everywhere across the city at the same time... Why can't we work together to help each other out rather than hoarding and seeing others as the enemy? Everyone looses with that type of thinking-- including (and most important in some cases) the customer!

I hope organizations like this help to get some people out of that type of thinking and more willing to WORK TOGETHER so that everyone can be successful!
moonprints

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:42 pm

I have had children put there fingers in the paint as well, but never an adult. She may have pulled back a stub. Though it brings up a point. I have been asked recently about what type of paint I use and I go on the defensive at first, but she just wanted to know where to get it(she was gushing over the neon rainbow) I think quickly changed my tune. It might be helpful to have a small flyer made up for these questions for whatever reason they ask, if nothing else, to show our professionalism??

On the other topic: What a jerk. I say this only cause I only know of three other painters in my area, two are not matured painters yet and another who subs out for me is way better than me. I think competition is good and helps people start thinking that face painting for parties and events is a norm and not a rare thing for things like Disney world and thus creates more jobs. But, if there were say 20 in my area, I probably would be very agains competition. It is human nature, but being rude is NEVER excusable.

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by face frenzy ak on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I have been at an event all weekend here in Anchorage and this same lady walked up into my booth and this time went right for our glitter tattoo kit. I was totally put out this time due to the fact she feels the need to invade our booth AGAIN! My 16 year old stopped her in her tracks and told her to walk away NOW! The lady refused my daughter looked to me and I walked up to her and informed (in english) her she could either walk away or I would get security. Her hubby then says they have a right to see what we are using. They both statred speaking in spanish to each other and decided to speak to each other not relizing myself and my daughters all speak fluent spanish. The funny thing is when I spoke to them in there own touge I repeated they need to either walk away or deal with security. They where really upset and finally left! Hopefully this will be the last of there rude behavior. This time I did not find being kind acceptable.
face frenzy ak

Back to top Go down

Post by face frenzy ak on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:19 pm

I really have no problem with competition at all. I would have no prob with helping out even speaking with people I have had many others ask me ?'s and they have been awesome I refer work to them now when I can not fit them into the schedule. This one just feels I think someone owes her something. She complained to the director of the festival we did during summer that we where there and she wasn't and they informed her she did not pay to have a booth and she needed to leave it alone. They rung me and let me know what was going on and if she gave me any more trouble to let them know. They use her for a small market and she only has to pay them a % of what she makes. SO really I have no clue where to go with this now but to let it go again.
face frenzy ak

Back to top Go down

Post by Debi's Doodles on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 pm

wow, can't believe the nerve of those two people.. Good for your daughter for stopping her in her tracks! They may have the right to know the ingredients you are using if you are painting their face and a paying customer but not the right to envade your belongings and space in that way!

The worst that happened in my booth this weekend was this mom set her wet big gulp soda right on my open menu book like it was a coaster just for her! Evil or Very Mad I went over there, bit my tongue and picked it up and handed it to her (not in a mean way at all) and she was so oblivious, "OH! I'm sorrrry", and she kinda said it in a way like I was in the wrong for moving it.

Jeeezzzz! People.... Rolling Eyes
Debi's Doodles

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.debisdoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top