Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Need help with making my own stencils please!

Go down

Need help with making my own stencils please!

Post by jenniferella on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to posting on the forum, but read them often.

I have the Silhouette Cameo and have made my own stencils, however, I am having issues with the cutting portion of it and am hoping someone can help me.

Sometimes the vinyl will turn at an angle while it is being cut and cut over itself...what am I doing wrong? confused

Also, I notice that sometimes the Silhouette doesn't cut all of the lines that it is supposed to. Either it just doesn't cut them or it leaves portions of the cut out. I have my blade set at 1 for the vinyl...should this be changed?

I have also noticed that when I am pulling the vinyl off the the cutting mat, I get bubbles in my vinyl. Is there a way to avoid this?

Any tips or advice that anyone can offer me would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Jenn

jenniferella

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-01-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help with making my own stencils please!

Post by sweethavenarts on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:13 pm

OO, ooo! I just upgraded to a cameo! I recommend the Silhouette plus forum http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/index/ for starters.
If your vinyl turns it wasn't loaded properly. YOU CAN CHECK by using the up and down keys on the silhouette to roll down the sheet and make sure it stays in place! I was so excited when I figured that out!
I would double check the blade settings and TEST. I find I need one more click up than what is recommended.
Also, what program are you using? Studio, studio DE, or SCAL? you can check your cutting lines on the program....
To prevent bubbles I would recommend some sort of spatula to help pull it off. I've got a cricut one that I love and use all the time. You also may try making the mat less sticky- touch a towel to it.
sorry, typing one handed with a sleepy toddler on my lap...
sweethavenarts

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2011-06-20

http://www.sweethavenarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jenniferella on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:20 am

Thank you for your help!! I appreciate it! Very Happy

jenniferella

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 am

older thread....
So I'm really enjoying cutting my own stencils and having the large selection of styles and sizes.
After cutting some though, they seem large compared to the ones that I bought from Faketoos and Sillyfarm.
I was trying to keep them about 2 inches except for the arm bands and multiple object ones( 3 butterflies, 3 hibiscus)
What size do you recommend?
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 am

I don't use that machine, I use a plotter from Sign Warehouse. BUT I had a similar problem, it had to do with the blade offset angle. Also the magnet that moves the blade up and down could have been off balance. Since its not the same plotter, but is the same problem, look into seeing if that can be the issue. Also I am not sure where or how your artwork is created for your machine (because I don't use that kind of plotter( but sometimes the file size of the artwork is bigger than what a small machine can read. IF you use this with a USB cable, something could be wrong with that as in data may not be sent completely.

MOST likely its the blade. I had it happen where the blade would spaz out on me and not cut everything or drag across the y axis while z was moving the vinyl.... the night before I did a huge trade show! EEK!!! But Google "troubleshooting" and I guarantee there are answers. This is a common problem with cutters/plotters. Start with checking the blade. They are sensitive little buggers.If its a hair off, you can have a lot of problems. If you travel with it, be careful that its not sliding around in your car.

Ill look more into your machine. I bet you a glitter tattoo its the blade offset or the magnet. I'm sure your cutter is not broken or anything. I know its frustrating! Don't get the baseball bat yet!! Wink
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 am

For the bubbles, use a squeege to push them out or take a tiny needle and poke them. Honestly, don't worry about the small air bubbles. I know They aren't pretty but think of it this way: once you pull the stencil off the backing, the bubbles wont be there. The bubbles don't effect your tattoo on your customer because there wont be any. If you were making signs, then yes air bubbles are not good. If you are making stencils for personal use, then don't worry about it. If you are selling them, try to do what I said above to make them look smooth for your customer.

The only time you should try to get rid of air bubbles is if they are on your final product that you applied the vinyl on. Not when its on the original backing. Vinyl expands and shrinks in different temperatures so you may get air bubbles. Air bubbles may disappear on their own in warm temperatures.

When I get a new roll of transfer tape its so wide that my hands sometimes can't grab it as I'm taping, and I've dropped the tape on a sheet of stencils before and I still use them if they aren't that bad. I still use my "oops" stencils because its only a cosmetic issue that only looks weird on the backing but in no way effects the customers tattoo. Now if this is an order for a customer, then of course I would not give them stencils with air bubbles. I Love my squeegees. From production as well as when I apply them on skin I use a squeegee like its second nature.

When you tape your stencils, hold the tape taught, but let it fall where it naturally wants. I'm not sure if you are getting air bubbles before or after you tape them.
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:49 am

Vegas Mom, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 1.5x6 are all good sizes. I even have a 3x7 ones that people love! Its all up to you, if they are bigger, charge more. I like having all sizes even huge ones because in the real tattoo world people have tiny ones and even sleeves. So why not bring plenty of sizes into the glitter tat industry Smile you will be surprised thar people will get big glitter tattoos, as in really big. Smile
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks Eileen... sunny
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down